• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cheap Source of CHAIN for baskets!!

Westluna25

Hi everyone,

I am in the beginning stages of building my first course. It is going to be in my back yard and funded entirely by me so i am looking to do cheap, but permanent and durable. I have been looking through all the forums about DIY baskets, but everyone seems content with going to HomeDepot or lowes and paying 40 bucks for a role of chain. Has anyone ever sourced used chain or cheaper chain? Junk yards, scrap metals, chain alternatives? I thought about old car chains, i figured those might work, but usually sell for 35, and would require some modification. For one basket in the back yard 40 isnt that bad... but 40x18 plus a practice its almost 800 bucks :wall:!! Let me know if anyone as sourced chains. Thanks for your time.

AJ

Might get lucky at a junk yard or garage sale but getting the right size chain and having enough of it to make multiple baskets will be tough. I tried to go your route but ended up buying a few 100 foot rolls from home depot to save some sanity.

Out of curiosity I searched the MSP Craigslist, found various listings that one could possibly use for baskets... I imagine a basket made of old bike chains might be interesting. And a post like this: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/grd/4225206253.html leads me to believe that if I were to dig a little deeper I could find something that fits the bill quite well. I've got a bunch conduit pipes once used for soccer goals that could be used for the center pole I'd sell ya if you come pick it up.

Search on eBay for trapping chain. That's where I got mine for a fraction of HD or Lowe's pricing

Will start by saying I don't know squat about buying chain, but...

1) is #2 chain about the right size? seems like if from what I can tell.

Looks like Home Depot gets close to $1/foot for it.
This place has 100ft of #2 zinc plated chain for $34... about 1/3rd what I saw on Depot's site.

Just trying to help...

That Craigslist Add is exactly what i am talking about!! ... Too bad i live in Salem, Oregon. It would cost a fortune to ship it. The other thing i was thinking about is a thin gauge wire with 2 inch long (same a proper chain link lengths are) garden hose cut outs. So i would string the 2 inch long hose pieces onto the cheap wire. Like the same concept as making a beaded bracelet. I know it sounds kinda janky, but i think it may end up having similar physical characteristics to the chain. Besides that beautiful sound (ching!!) we all love :clap:. Anyways. Thanks for the input so far. I am determined to make my 13 basket, 18 hole (use the first 5 holes played somewhat in reverse for the last 5 holes) course for less than 500 dollars. I have tons of different materials, for the baskets, i have some awesome aluminum piping for the poles and I love the idea of bike tires for the top. Just need some damn chain.

Just doing some math here: figure 24" per chain? :confused:
13 baskets...
18 chains per basket ≈ 468 ft of chain
24 chains per basket ≈ 624ft of chain

That's assuming an avg of 24" per chain... I say an average because shouldn't the inner chains be shorter than the outer chains? The inner chains can pretty much hang straight down, but the outer chains have to have some slack.

Hmmm. I wonder if you'll get what you pay for. What's the likelihood of cheap chain rusting?

IME with chains

~ 2/0 is usually the kind to get

~ Use Bolt Cutters when cutting

~ Measure twice, mark link, then cut

(TIP) To save yourself time when cutting a roll of chain with bolt cutters
1. After the inital cut of the first chain, hang it on a strong nail off the ground.
2. Unroll a little of the chain and hang that end on the same nail.
3. Line up the links with the cut chain.
4. Cut the roll where the cut chain ends so they both are the same length. *note* that different rolls might be slightly shorter/longer so adjust if needed.
5. Watch for flying cut pieces :)
6. Repeat until done.

Getting the right balance of chain AND attachment to the top of a DIY basket is important to whether or not a homemade will be a success or fail. Heavy chain, too much tension, no give or slide at the top, etc. will give you bad results and frustration.

Commonly found types of heavy duty chain...
zinc plated is lighter and easy to cut. After being outside for 3 yrs, it has held up better than I thought with no rusting. They catch discs okay as long as you have enough strands (14-18 min) per basket. Any less and your better off just buying an instep.

Galvinized will last forever but costs a little more. It is noticably heavier and harder to cut. It is also harder to find in a correct size link at some stores. Weaker putts have a better chance of bouncing off the chain if they are not attached with some give on the top part of the target.

Stainless Steel is nice looking but costs more and it's heavy as well. Hard to cut but it came in the correct sized links. They are probably too heavy to belong on the outer set of chains. I ended up buying a 40' roll in a pinch and only used a few strands on the outer set and used the rest for the inner. I won't be buying this type again.

The hardest part is finding enough of the same type of chain per basket. If you're willing to put in the time and effort into making a set for your yard, you don't want to end up putting at a turd of a basket.

Good luck

FOUND A GOOD SOURCE

For future people looking into this thread I just wanted to say that thanks to a post earlier i found some trapping chain at a great price, and found a company that will ship as many boxes (hundred feet per box) as you want for only $9.95 to the lower 48!!

I am going to build 13 holes, going off 18 chains per basket, 12 inside and 6 inside at 2 feet each. Therefore I needed 468 feet of chain or 500 for good measure.

Here is what I found out:

Option 1)

Home Depot
at $0.94/ft x 500ft = $500.00 + 0.00 shippng
500 total:wall:

Option 2)

Trapper Arts
at $39/100ft x 500 ft = 195 + $96.00 shipping (to Oregon)
291 total:doh:

Option 3)

Dakota Line (its a trapping website)
at 0.34/ft x 500 = 170+ 10 shipping to wherever
180 total:clap:

For future people looking into this thread I just wanted to say that thanks to a post earlier i found some trapping chain at a great price, and found a company that will ship as many boxes (hundred feet per box) as you want for only $9.95 to the lower 48!!

I am going to build 13 holes, going off 18 chains per basket, 12 inside and 6 inside at 2 feet each. Therefore I needed 468 feet of chain or 500 for good measure.

Option 1)

Home Depot

Option 2)

Trapper Arts

Option 3)

Glad my advice helped you out brother. In my experience trapping chain Is extremely durable and cheaper than anything else. My baskets are outside year round in PA weather and had never rusted. Best of luck with your course!

I've got another source fro chains just for those who may be able to take advantage of the same situation.

I live in near Sacramento and often travel through Donner pass to travl to Reno. The trucks traveling through there are required to carry chains when the snow starts dropping. Many of the chains roll off or snap, and then the whole length is no good. Plus you get people in passenger cars that can't install them correctly and end up losing them too. Caltrans ends up gathering up some of the discarded chain. A lot of the time, you can let them know your looking for some and they'll save it for you. It would probably take along time to gather enough for a course but you can usually get a baskets worth in one shot. I don't know the size or much about the chain, but its good for the diy basket and its free.

Option 1)

Home Depot

Option 2)

Trapper Arts

Option 3)

I'm considering this, how'd this source and the quality work out. and did you get the "#2 import straight link"?

I have a source for 5/32 stainless chain at $1 + shipping per foot if anyone 8s interested. I bought 4 rolls from the guy

Building baskets is a cool project, but not something you do for economic reasons for a course unless materials are free.

Is your home course for you or what do you anticipate as guests? How many people do you anticipate playing this course weekly?