• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Circle Deuce?

It's called a Birdie... like in real Golf. (or in west coast disc golf).

This circling penalties thing has got to go. What happens if you get a tripple circle 8? Now you have three big ass circles on your scorecard. Who wants to see that? How about 3 little "p's" (penalties) neatly scribed next to the number?

Once more disc golf courses move away from the standard Par 54... I think more people will start keeping score like Ball Golf. It looks so much nicer to circle your birdies and square your bogeys... and makes it easier to tally the score at the end.

DSCJNKY

I don't think it is that big of a hassle. It is really more or less a reference for the players so they can recall what happened on that hole. I mean if you forget to mark it on the card it doesn't change your score. And I have never used the circle your birdies and square your bogeys in ball golf. Though to be honest I think I would just have a lot of squares so it wouldn't help much. The rules actually just say this

D. Warnings and penalty throws given to a player for rules infractions shall be noted on the
scorecard.

So if you wanted you could draw a little monkey to represent every OB that occurred.

Sauls got it right for how you get a Circle 2. Another way might be to get dinged for a practice throw as you toss your disc towards the tee before teeing off on the hole and acing it. But the second foot fault called then holing out would seem more like a circle 2.

I was wondering the same thing. However, my local course has a mando to the left of a tree. You can go to the right and get an ace if you have a big enough arm....I would call this a circle deuce.

I've raised this question to several experienced players in the area and they say that a "circle deuce" is impossible. Even if someone would get an ace without taking the mando on this hole, they did not make the mando and would have to shoot for 3 from the drop spot.

I've done this once.. wasn't a terribly long hole though.

And I took the drop and sunk the long putt.

The way I read the rules is once you missed the Mando that shot is done and the missed mando takes precedent over everything else (OB, ace, etc...). So I see no way to get a circle 2. Also I normally don't circle my OB scores I put circles in the corner with the number. I have found that circling the number can sometimes make it difficult to read.

Finally, this one is making sense

foot faults are about the only way

Last edited:
This circling penalties thing has got to go. What happens if you get a tripple circle 8? Now you have three big ass circles on your scorecard. Who wants to see that? How about 3 little "p's" (penalties) neatly scribed next to the number?
I disagree. Due to circling penalties, I was able to catch a pencil whipper last year when I saw that he had turned some circle 5's into uncircled 3's once he got the scorecard. If I hadn't remembered that he went OB on those holes and had some semblance of the mostly erased mark to remind me of that, I may not have caught him.

^I never said "Don't mark penalties"... I just said, "Don't circle them... Mark them with a "p"."

I guess a circle is harder to erase than a small "p", but still.

DSCJNKY

Yeah, I was going to mention the west coast thing, lots of circle 2s out there. My circle 2 came when I threw ob directly behind the basket, one meter of relief put my drop in the basket, circle 2...

Yeah, I was going to mention the west coast thing, lots of circle 2s out there. My circle 2 came when I threw ob directly behind the basket, one meter of relief put my drop in the basket, circle 2...

That is a 3. 1 meter relief can notputitin the basket, only directly under it.
Drive = 1
OB = 2
Drop in = 3

Sounds like a dumb course lay out. Why not just huck it OB everytime for the easy par?

The "circle" is not defined in rules. I've seen it used from lost discs and 2-meter rule---in short, as a mark for penalties.

Thus---if you tee off and foot-fault, and you've already been warned, you'd get the stroke penalty and re-tee. If you "ace" on re-tee, might that not be a "Circle 2"?

This would be the only scenario I see fit for the "circle deuce".

Seems impossible. Locally (because I know it's different in other places) a circle score means you went OB on a hole. So you're sitting 2, throwing three after the penalty stroke.

-edit- Maybe if the TD suspends penalty strokes for OB throws, unlikely though.

In the last tourney here penalties for OB in trees were suspended to help the speed of play. So I guess it coulda been possible then if your OB was in a tree.

If you threw OB behind the basket, how did you card a circle 2? Counting the two strokes and the penalty for OB gives you a 3.

In the last tourney here penalties for OB in trees were suspended to help the speed of play. So I guess it coulda been possible then if your OB was in a tree.

OB in trees? I've never heard of that. How exactly does that work? If the tree itself is OB I can see that being declared OB. However, if the tree is inbounds and the disc is stuck in the tree, it's still in bounds.

Are you perhaps thinking of the two meter rule?

Didn't they have a re-throw without penalty O.B. rule at USDGC a few years ago? If so, did they mark it in any way?---it's not really a penalty throw.

Yes, you could potentially have thrown in a buncr, had to retee and thrown your second shot into the basket for sort of a circle 2. But you really would have made two throws like a regular deuce.

DavidSauls is right about other penalties -- like repeated foot fault penalty -- being the only way to "circle 2". Repeated courtesy violation or practice throw penalties could also result in a penalty on a hole that was otherwise aced. There may be others I'm not remembering. But there are several ways to get single-stroke penalties based on behavior or breaking rules that aren't directly related to your throw.

If you leave the nest and play golf all over the country you will quickly learn the difference between a circle 3 and a 3 p. I have been broken of saying "circle' to designate penalty strokes. Either way, I only write it down on the scorecard if someone specifically asks me to record their penalty stroke.

Latest posts