• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clarity on potential oddball tourney scenario

The person who posed the hypothetical, also stated that it would overturned by the TD. It was posed as a lawyerly reading of the rule, not a practical one.

As was my reply. I don't see a really see this ever being applied in a real world situation.

What's "promptly"? I don't know. Somewhere between 3 seconds (since the rules committee removed that time frame), and so late that it causes a delay (such as, once you've started proceding down the fairway).

And here's the thing, I might disagree with you about how the word "promptly" should be interpreted, but without guidance from the PDGA neither of us can really claim to be "right." I just believe interpreting "promptly" as 'as soon as a foot fault is identified' is the fairest interpretation.

I think assuming that the three second rule was removed because it was not an appropriate amount of time is probably not correct. I imagine it was removed due to the impracticality of enforcing it, and the arguments it could potentially create. Three seconds plus or minus seems like a practical amount of time for someone to see a foot fault, process what they just saw, and then speak the words "foot fault." To be fair that is three seconds from the foot fault not the throw, which (as has been pointed out in the case of a putt on a steep hill) could potentially happen after the putt has come to rest.

And here's the thing, I might disagree with you about how the word "promptly" should be interpreted, but without guidance from the PDGA neither of us can really claim to be "right."

True. But step away from the outlandish hypothetical, and my suggestion remains that if you want to defend yourself on the grounds that a call wasn't prompt, you should take a provisional. Because the TD may uphold the call---my guess is that he will---and you might be guilty of a misplay.

If I'm TD, "prompt" is soon enough not to unduly delay play.

I've been in cases where group members discussed an action before making a call. It wasn't such a big deal when a second was required for a warning; if the person making the call was wrong, the group could set him straight with no effect. But now, if one group member makes a call---even a wrong call---the throw is invalidated. So if I'm making the call, I might want to confer before doing so. Result of the throw notwithstanding.

801.01b "Players are expected to call a violation when one has clearly occurred. Calls must be made promptly."

That would be the main thing preventing that type of abuse.

If you call me on a foot fault after my disc is in the basket, I'm going to tell you that you did not call it promptly and ignore your call. Sadly "promptly" is not well defined, but my personal view is if you wait to see the outcome of a throw before you call it, your call was not prompt and is not valid.

Sorry, buddy, you don't have that right; and, unless and until the PDGA restores a time limit, you don't even have that option.

Go back and read David Saul's post about the PDGA removing the time limit.

Then read it again.

Then read it once more for comprehension.

The rules allow TDs to adjust scores to reflect up the correct interpretation of the rules until the tournament is declared to be officially over. If you think a call is bogus, you can stand aside and seek the TD's or an official's ruling or to play a provisional and let the TD sort it out after the round. But you ABSOLUTELY DO NOT have the right to simply ignore a validly made call, even if you think the call is bogus.

A VALIDLY MADE call is a call made following the prescribed procedure for making the call. In the case of a stance violation, the technical procedure is simply that someone makes a stance violation call in the first instance of a stance violation, and that the call is made and seconded for subsequent violations.

Clearly, you did't bother attempting to read and comprehend David Saul's post.

A VALIDLY MADE call is a call that conforms to the specified procedure for making a call, without regard to whether the call is correct or erroneous.

A VALID CALL is a call that meets all the specified criteria to be enforceable.

You can dispute whether the call is VALID, but unless you can demonstrate that the MANNER IN WHICH the person made the call did not follow the prescribed procedure, the call is validly made.

There is NOTHING in the rule that requires a call be made within a specified time period to be considered valid. Given that the 2013 rules revision specifically REMOVED the previously existing 3 second time limit from the validating criteria and that the Rules Committee has refused to define or otherwise specify a time- or event-based limit of any sort on what constitutes "promptly," you have neither the right nor the freedom to employ an artificial, time-based criterion such as "knowing the outcome of a throw" as an excuse to ignore a call.

So much of this "discussion"/argument is based upon the RC removing "3 seconds" from the rule book and then people assuming that they KNOW why the RC did and replaced it with "promptly." We don't know why they did -- it could be for any of the variations postulated here or it could be something else we've not thought of. Until we hear from them we don't know.

I really get discouraged when people begin lawyering the rules, using "exact words" and "left out words" and the "unless-it-specifically-says-in-the-rules-that-it's-disallowed-it-must-be-legal" philosophy. I don't buy into that because years of officiating made it clear to me that NO RULE BOOK (in any sport) can cover every scenario. There is intent behind every rule in every sport that a rules committee makes.

The issue in our current rule is the word "promptly." I believe it can be clearly seen as promptly when a violation occurs, if you read the whole rule in context. The RC doesn't need to define "promptly" -- unless you guys want to align yourselves with Bill Clinton when he said he didn't have the same definition of "is". The RC shouldn't have to provide definitions of commonly understood words throughout the rule book, even when they change a rule from a specific thing (3 seconds) to something that is still very similar (promptly) but without the specificity to allow such lawyering. We know what that word means. In case you don't, from several online sources -- google dictionary, webster, your dictionary, dictionary.com :

promptly (adv) -- 1) with little or no delay; 2) at once; 3) immediately; 4) exactly at a particular or specified time.

If you tell me you don't know what "little" is or "at once" or "immediately" then we have a totally different problem on our hands.

Off on the wildly unlikely hypothetical, but if I'm in your group and you ace a hole, can I call a footfault---completely without merit---and invalidate the ace?

Sure, I'll probably get beat to a pulp, and on appeal to the TD be overturned on the simple grounds that I was being a jerk. But, in the meantime, isn't the actual wording of the rule on my side?

True. But step away from the outlandish hypothetical, and my suggestion remains that if you want to defend yourself on the grounds that a call wasn't prompt, you should take a provisional. Because the TD may uphold the call---my guess is that he will---and you might be guilty of a misplay.

If I'm TD, "prompt" is soon enough not to unduly delay play.

I've been in cases where group members discussed an action before making a call. It wasn't such a big deal when a second was required for a warning; if the person making the call was wrong, the group could set him straight with no effect. But now, if one group member makes a call---even a wrong call---the throw is invalidated. So if I'm making the call, I might want to confer before doing so. Result of the throw notwithstanding.

Based on what I've stated above, aside from the VERY unusual case whereupon the actual foot-fault violation actually occurs promptly within the time the ace is hit, then I'd say NO -- the rule book is not on your side even in that scenario.

That fact, plus what is to stop anybody from doing the same on every throw once it's done invalidly by you? I am willing to say OK, you can make a call something like this promptly say in an audible fashion to others in the group, "that looks like a foot fault" [notice the present tense verb]. The you discuss it and decide if you stand by your call -- yes, that's legit in my book, because the original call was made promptly. But going back to reference the OP, the player making the call can still withdraw the call as well.