• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Co-op Putting Game: Dragon Slayer (Nerdy)

Pottersmash

Being really into co-op videogames and activities, I wanted to incorporate it into a fun putting minigame. The game is called Dragon Slayer and depends heavily on consistent putting to win, especially to keep your partner alive. Me and buddy tested to game out 4 times and won twice and lost twice, and had a few games where only 1 of us survived. So I think its pretty challenging and can get pretty intense sometimes! Here's the overview/rules to the game:

The game is simple but I'll explain all the details so there is no confusion

Setup:
Spread 6-8 drivers/mids/minis around your disc golf basket in a circle. Vary the distances of each disc from the basket, some will be closer and some further, but gauge the distances based on your skill level. We had a few trees in the mix to add some variation.

How the game works:
The disc golf basket is the dragon. You are the dragon slayers.

The dragon has 30 Health Points, and each dragon slayer has 10 Health Points. Thats the setup we did for 2 people, but I would add 10 health points to the dragon for each additional person. Example: 3 people playing = dragon at 40 health, 4 people playing = dragon at 50 health, etc.. the dragon slayers always have 10 health.

The players will attack in order, and the dragon attacks back every other turn. When you make a putt it reduces the dragon's health by 1. The dragon will try to attack whoever attacked it last, and reduces a players health by 1 when it strikes.

Here's the most important thing to understand about the game: If the dragon is attacking player 1(because he's the one to last hit the dragon) and player 2 hits the dragon, the dragon's attention is diverted to player 2 and the dragon won't attack player 2 for two turns. If the next player to attack hits the dragon, the dragon's attention is diverted once again and cant attack for 2 turns. But if the next player missed the dragon instead of hitting, then the dragon would hit player 2 and keeping hitting that player every 2 turns until someone diverts the dragon's attention. This is the main mechanic of the game, so its the most important to fully understand. It's pretty simple once you play, but I can see how it can be a little confusing to first understand.

At every putting spot you get to attack the dragon twice before advancing clockwise or counterclockwise to the next disc on the ground to putt from. I recommend holding 2 or 4 putters so its easier to know when to advance to the next spot.

Playing the game:
Now that you have the game setup and you understand how it works, I'll walk you through how it typically starts and some examples of gameplay to help you further understand the game.

Start off on opposite sides of the dragon. I like to tell the person with the harder spot to go first so the person with the easier spot has a better chance to divert the dragon's attention right away :). Here's a sample play:
P1= Player 1
P2= Player 2
D= Dragon

P1 misses
P2 hits, attention diverted and D is 29
P1 hits, attention diverted and D is 28
P2 misses
P1 misses, D attacks and P1 is 9
P2 misses
P1 hits, D is 27 and P1 is 8
P2 hits, attention diverted and D is 26
P1 misses
P2 hits, D is 25 and P2 is 9
P1 misses
P2 misses, D attacks and P2 is 8
etc....

The game adds a ton of pressure because you are constantly trying to save your friends from taking too much damage from the dragon. If one of the players dies, the surviving players still have a chance to slay the dragon without their dead friends.

When we played we would just keep track of health by remembering your own health and calling out the dragon's health after you hit. You could easily make a scorecard with 30 bubbles to X out for the dragon's health and 10 bubbles for each player.

If you are killing the dragon incredibly easily, then you are putting too close. make the putting placements harder. If you'd rather keep the putts easier, then increase the dragon's health.

I would love to hear some comments and suggestions to improve the game or find other variations of the game. If there are any typos or mistakes let me know so I can edit the post. Thanks!

Sounds like a good time! Any chance to mix practice with nerdy activities has my vote. Good job coming up with a great way to make putting drills more fun! Personally I like to play HORSE with my buddies to warm up before a game.

since I can't edit the post, here's a clarification on a poorly worded section:

the dragon's attention is diverted to player 2 and the dragon won't attack player 2 for two turns. If the next player to attack hits the dragon, the dragon's attention is diverted once again and cant attack for 2 turns. But if the next player missed the dragon instead of hitting, then the dragon would hit player 2 and keeping hitting that player every 2 turns until someone diverts the dragon's attention.

Ignore everything I said about "every 2 turns". The dragon attacks every other turn. So if your buddy doesn't divert the dragon's attention right away then you will take damage the next turn.

What did the dragon ever do to hurt disc golfers, huh? :|

;)

Tried it yesterday with a buddy of mine who is as computer game RPG nerdy as I am. The balancing is quite tricky to get, but we did it in the end. We had the dragon at 35 health, but I think we will buff him to 40 next time. We had all our discs in the 15 to 25 feet range, and we didnt lose in 5 tries. Closest calls we had were me dieing in th every first round and in the very last round both staying alive with 1 and 2 lives. But that was after we started moving more and more discs out towards the 25 feet mark.

A little thing we added were phases. We had 4 discs in a row which were pretty close, which lead to a "burst damage" phase, and then 8 discs in a row which were remarkably further out, which gave us a "air" phase. This lead to even more excitement. Every burst phase putt that we didnt make hurt twice as much, while the pressure in the air phase realy rose because if one keeps missing, the other guy can lose half his life in one air phase easily.

Oh, and we had the dragon atack after every throw. If one of us didnt make a putt, the other instantly lost a life point. The dragon has one turn after every turn of us. So it's p1 - dragon - p2 - dragon etc. If I hit, and my buddy misses, I lose one health.

I tried to read the op, really. Wouldn't you rather just play a round of disc golf?

I tried to read the op, really. Wouldn't you rather just play a round of disc golf?

It's a practice game. If you fail to understand it, you can always just practice the way you used to.

On topic : Forgot to mention that we also thought about some achievements.

- The clean slate : Defeat the dragon without your partner taking any damage.
- The good team : Defeat the dragon with you and your partner having 15 or more life left.
- the close shave : Defeat the dragon with your partner dead and you at 1 or 2 health.

More to come :)

Tried it yesterday with a buddy of mine who is as computer game RPG nerdy as I am. The balancing is quite tricky to get, but we did it in the end. We had the dragon at 35 health, but I think we will buff him to 40 next time. We had all our discs in the 15 to 25 feet range, and we didnt lose in 5 tries. Closest calls we had were me dieing in th every first round and in the very last round both staying alive with 1 and 2 lives. But that was after we started moving more and more discs out towards the 25 feet mark.

A little thing we added were phases. We had 4 discs in a row which were pretty close, which lead to a "burst damage" phase, and then 8 discs in a row which were remarkably further out, which gave us a "air" phase. This lead to even more excitement. Every burst phase putt that we didnt make hurt twice as much, while the pressure in the air phase realy rose because if one keeps missing, the other guy can lose half his life in one air phase easily.

Oh, and we had the dragon atack after every throw. If one of us didnt make a putt, the other instantly lost a life point. The dragon has one turn after every turn of us. So it's p1 - dragon - p2 - dragon etc. If I hit, and my buddy misses, I lose one health.

You called the basket Onyxia, didn't you?

Even without the whole RPG theme, this is a very creative idea to do something different with disc golf.
:thmbup:

It's a practice game. If you fail to understand it, you can always just practice the way you used to.

On topic : Forgot to mention that we also thought about some achievements.

- The clean slate : Defeat the dragon without your partner taking any damage.
- The good team : Defeat the dragon with you and your partner having 15 or more life left.
- the close shave : Defeat the dragon with your partner dead and you at 1 or 2 health.

More to come :)

I practice disc golf by playing disc golf. If you want to practice by playing some kind of fantasy game, thats cool. Its just not for me! :)

larp.jpg

I wish I could. But I'm an older barely computer literate dude!

Latest posts