• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold weather gear

Gregor

Par Member
This will be my first winter playing disc golf in years. If you can call our weather wintery. What do you wear to keep warm but keep your arms and legs from feeling constrained? I have the same issues with ball golf, but it almost seems more important in disc to keep those arms loose.

How cold does it get down there?

I was going to say. In St. Louis, it can get pretty chilly. For this winter season coming up, I'll try to dress in layers so I can strip as the day goes on. I've noticed that as long as my feet, hands, and ears are warm, the rest of me feels fine.

We'll get a few cold days down here. There's a tourney Dec 12th, and I've only played in shorts and a tee shirt. I can't imagine playing in a jacket or sweatshirt and I've never even thought about owning a vest.

Bought a Adidas Clima 365 track jacket and it's the best purchase that i've ever made. It's lightweight but keeps me warm still in anything probably around 35 or above. Wore it at a tourney that was snowing and just with a tshirt and sweatshirt underneath was warm the entire time. It doesn't inhibit my shots one bit.

It's all about the vest. When I lived in Vermont I used to play all winter long. I wore a long sleeve thermal shirt and a fleece vest, thermal bottoms and light snow pants, a wool hat and one glove. I kept a handwarmer in the pocket of my vest for my throwing hand. Snowshoes taught me a solid standing throw.

I'm gonna go play this afternoon in shorts and a t-shirt. I played down here last winter and really didn't have any issues. I had to wear jeans a couple times, but that's not really a big deal. I played more often in the winter than in the summer.

When I used to live in Tennessee, it got cold sometimes. I'd usually roll my right sleeve of my jacket up to the elbow right before throwing and try to keep my hands in my pockets. Grab some hot hands if I was playing a tournament.

It just doesn't seem to get very cold in Austin. It's pretty awesome.

Yeah, I was all about playing 2 rounds when it was hitting a hundred. We usually got the course to yourselves then. This weather now is awesome though.

Man, if cold weather means you have to put on pants, your definition of cold may need a little tweaking. I play all year round up here and actual cold weather gear means at least 3 layers, long underwear, regular clothes and shell pants and a jacket. Gloves for when you're not throwing a wool hat, warm winter boots, gaiters, etc. etc. Also handy on cold winter rounds is a thermos of hot coffee.

Other special gear is some foot trax for grip on ice and ribbons for your discs if there's deep snow.

op that is what i need to day at brp played with the owenr and had a great time in the snow a good foot in some spots. clean and salted pads for the doubles turrnny that was be hide us.

I don't know how cold it gets in TX, but let's say around 45-50 degrees. You should be alright with jeans and a couple layers of long sleeve shirts. I find that the most important thing is to keep up your core temp, and the rest will follow. If you're still cold maybe throw on a winter hat and some gloves for inbetween throws.

I wear wool finger gloves with the leather liners on the outside, also known as "choppers" around these parts. I don't throw with them on, I just wear them inbetween throws to warm up. Usually once I get my core temp up, I don't even need the gloves anymore (about 9 holes in usually) and they get put back in my bag.
resize

As far as keeping my core temp up, I wear an under armor; this is an actual mold from my body :cool:
underarmour.jpg

I usually wear a couple long sleeve shirts on top of that, and then a zip hoodie if needed. Winter hat, boots, long underwear and jeans.

I usually go with thermal underwear, loose-fitting but somewhat heavy cargo pants, a couple layers on top and a down vest to keep my arms swinging freely. Mandatory Redskins beanie, wool blend socks. Gloves of course - or maybe just one on the left hand with a hand-warmer tucked into the right pocket of the down vest. Unless it starts feeling like the arctic tundra around here that usually gets me through.

What kind of DG friendly gloves could any of you recommend?

None. I've tried most everything in the way of gloves. They just don't work with a disc. There are thin fingerless ones that are OK but I prefer just keeping my hand in my bag when I'm not throwing.

I can't wear a glove on the throwing hand no matter how thin, high-tech, or fingerless. It just blows the whole feel. I just have to take one on and off as needed or stuff one of those hand warmers in the pocket.

For bottoms, I try and stay away from anything cotton that will soak up a bunch of water. I have a few pairs of REI pants that are 100% synthetic and super roomy. Personally, I can't stand playing in shorts (even in summer). I hate ticks, and am painfully allergic to poison ivy, oak, etc. I never got hot once this summer, or at least no hotter than if I were wearing shorts, even when it got up to 100. I do the same with my top layer: some kind of moisture wicking synthetic material. It's all about moisture and temperature regulation. In the summer, they keep you cool and dry and in the winter they keep you warm and dry. I can't stress how important it is to keep from sweating heavily while out in the cold. When your warm and moving you're fine, but once you slow down you get very cold, very fast. Hypothermia isn't a big risk when your going back to your car, but it also sucks to be cold and clammy on the course.

I like to layer as it gets colder. I'll add long, but very lightweight thermal underwear underneath my pants and wear long sleeved thermal underwear under whatever shell I've got on. I'll use a rain shell if it's going to be soggy, and also rock the knee-high gators. Other than that, it's fleece all the way. It breathes great and will insulate when wet (to an extent). The downside is that most fleece sucks in the wind. Thinsulate Windpro is my personal favorite. I've hung my arm out the window at 45 mph and even though my hand turned into an icicle, my arm felt warm and toasty.

Finally, merino wool socks! Merino wool is a superb insulator when wet, it moisture wicks, and it breathes very well. Smartwool socks are the best brand, but at $12-$18 per pair, they're a little out of my price range. Costco and Cabellas both carry generic brands that are more like $5-$7 per pair.

PS- Costco sells jumbo packs of hand warmers for a price that will make you hate the gas station punks that are charging you two bucks a pack.

I have to recommend Under Armour (or something similar) cold gear. Its tight but stretchy, so it keeps you warm without feeling constrained.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no hope for cold weather. Just 4 months of half distance drives, early releases and horribly hyzered putts, all because I can't feel my fingers enough to grip anything. Can't wait till April!

Latest posts