• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Control Techniques

One other thing about pressure.

The armature will step and be worried what others will say or think if they make a bad tee shot or miss an easy putt.

The pro lives for this pressure and wants to show you just how good they are.

This pro attitude is what builds champions. The more you strive and embrace the pressure the better your confidence and ability to shine under pressure will be.

Of course, you still need talent and skill to be a real champion or pro, but not to have the mental ability of one.

Anyone have any suggestions for controlling nerves in the following scenarios:
1. You bogie or worse and you're upset. Next hole you hit a tree, how do you get control and regroup? Typically when I bogie, I bogie or double bogie the next hole too and then the whole round falls apart. you go from even par to a plus three. Then you start over reaching to try and get birdies. When you should lay up, you go for the monster drive and hit the tree or long putt and you roll down the hill.

I feel like I forget about bad shots as good as the next guy but it does seem bogies come in twos and threes. So be it superstition or not all it takes is a par to get you back in rhythm. Id suggest playing the next hole conservately, take a par and get back on track.

2. Big backup on a hole and your driving in front of 20-30 people. Sometimes I grip to hard and release late. How do you calm yourself??

Its all about how you handle the adrenaline rush/nervousness you get from it. Nerves can help as much as they can hurt, just depends on if you look at it like an oppurtunity to showcase or not.

3. How do you avoid psyching yourself out of that 15-20' that you know you could make with your eyes closed, but this one is for the round?

I dont know the answer to this one. One thing I try that seems to help is I sit back and analyze everything as well as get my mind right. Once I step up to the marker I fire the putt relatively fast, to keep my mind from starting to talk me out of hitting it.

Last edited:

Latest posts