• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

course-ing down

jimbosprint

Double Eagle Member
I am super frustrated with my messy, inconsistent short game. :wall:

I think for the next couple weeks I am going to only play the local kids course (the longest hole is probably 225ft), and only with a putter.

I really hope it helps that part of my game some, because it seems like it couldn't get much worse. And for whatever reason, playing the long courses everyday isn't helping at all. I feel retarded when I can drive 350ft up the middle of the fairway, only to send a 70ft approach 30ft off target. :eek:

Do it!

I practice using my tree-lined driveway and my skillshot for the exact same reason. It helps a lot.

I like going out and playing the short tees with just a putter or a putter and a cobra.

My distance sucks but my short game is generally top notch. I would say 200' in I am money.

I used to be the same way. It was mainly decision making though. for some reason I would always see the easy hyzer line up to the basket but would then change my mind and go for a riskier line. My only advice that I can give ya that might be useful is... always take the hyzer line if its there.

Putter rounds are one good way to work on your short game without getting board. If you have the luxury of having a set of practice putters, try some field practice if you can. What I used to do (and should start again) was to set a cooler and my bag about 100' apart and practice different approaches.

I totally agree with this concept and everything else mentioned. When I am in the mood for a serious round I gravitate to the big courses, but when I am in a funk or feel that I NEED to work on something, I always head to the smaller parks. I really like the challenge of putting away the drivers and being forced to work on control with my mids and putters. It is all about confidence. Naturally pars are going to be a lot easier to get, but stringing together a lot of pars in a row makes you feel good about your game. It also makes you more confident that you have strung together numerous shots in a row where you hit the fairway. If you are consistently out in boondocks and deep schule, how is that going to increase your confidence that your next tee shot is going to stay fair?

At home I do not have too much room to work with but I like to set up my practice basket in the front yard, walk down the street about three houses, and work on approaching. I have enough mature trees in my yard to offer a little challenge. I then putt from wherever each disc lands, giving me a more accurate feel of how good or bad that approach was. This has paid off big time in my game. By having a solid approach game, I know that if I can just make it a majority of the distance with my tee shot that my approach will always put me in a position for a par. Feeling that I can always make par reduces a lot of stress, actually making it more likely I will park the hole for a birdie.

Now looka here son, the kiddie game is down the street. -->
kid_games.jpg

Say Hello to Robin Hood and his band of merry men for me.

I wish the short course was still around.

There really should be another course down there in SJ, something with 18 holes. What's up with that? I would put courses at Stevens Creek Reservoir, Almaden Quicksilver, or Santa Teresa County Park.

I used to use mids for all approach shots because I figured that putters were only used for putting. Boy was I wrong! IMO, putters are the most important disc you can use. I use them for everything now. Short drives, probably 90% of my upshots, and of course, putting. Love your putters, and they will love you back.

Last edited:
I played a 9 hole course in Phoenix well over 100 times in 6 months. Only used a Buzzz and a Voodoo. It definately helped me learn how to throw a disc at the basket from 200 feet away or less. I have taken that knowledge with me and am very confident of my short game which far exceeds my driving and putting abilities.

I wish the short course was still around.

There really should be another course down there in SJ, something with 18 holes. What's up with that? I would put courses at Stevens Creek Reservoir, Almaden Quicksilver, or Santa Teresa County Park.

How about Steven's Creek Reservoir, Almaden Quiksilver, and Santa Teresa County Park! :D

i don't care what "they" say. short courses are essential. we're likely to lose one of the oldest, most played courses here to a "re-design" because "they" want a more difficult course. sorry- off-thread...

I am super frustrated with my messy, inconsistent short game. :wall:

I think for the next couple weeks I am going to only play the local kids course (the longest hole is probably 225ft), and only with a putter.

I really hope it helps that part of my game some, because it seems like it couldn't get much worse. And for whatever reason, playing the long courses everyday isn't helping at all. I feel retarded when I can drive 350ft up the middle of the fairway, only to send a 70ft approach 30ft off target. :eek:

Headin' out to old Sherwood for some short game eah?:D

i don't care what "they" say. short courses are essential. we're likely to lose one of the oldest, most played courses here to a "re-design" because "they" want a more difficult course. sorry- off-thread...

Oak Grove, the first permanent disc golf course, has gone through several complete redesigns. It's okay, be brave.

Good idea. I am out a while, but when I start up I've got 2 different short courses picked out that I am going to hit with putters and mids for a while before I start playing the longer tougher courses. I'm going to need to learn form and mechanics all over again, so I think the short course idea is a winner. Just don't go too long without throwing a driver or you'll end up getting all your drivers nose-up, and that isn't good. I did that last summer after a ton of putter rounds.

Oak Grove, the first permanent disc golf course, has gone through several complete redesigns. It's okay, be brave.

if there weren't 30 other courses within an hour, including Idlewild, Banklick, and Mt. Airy, i wouldn't so much as give it another thought.