• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course maintenance help, would u ever cancel

If you just need help clearing sticks, weeds and the like, maybe you can see if a local boy scout troop needs some community service merit badges? ...or maybe if the local government needs fresh ideas for how people work off community service?...

The latter was used at Osage Grove in the morning before they installed the baskets on opening day. They had a dozen or so juveniles out there raking up sticks and clearing fairways to work off their punishment.

Along these lines, some school districts have things like Rent-A-Wrestler or similar setups where a school sports team will come out for a very very reasonable fee (or just food) and help with clearing.

My HOA recently used this program for clearing a beach and some wooded shoreline, and it was a HUGE help.

If you just need help clearing sticks, weeds and the like, maybe you can see if a local boy scout troop needs some community service merit badges? ...or maybe if the local government needs fresh ideas for how people work off community service?...

The latter was used at Osage Grove in the morning before they installed the baskets on opening day. They had a dozen or so juveniles out there raking up sticks and clearing fairways to work off their punishment.

This is a great idea. Getting the local scouts out would help their scouting requirements, and might get them interested in disc golf. Perhaps even a new course might come from an Eagle Scout project in the future!

It's worth a call to the scout leader anyway.

Having a big state championship event at my local course, and I'm the only player and only person who maintains the course the rest of the year.

I have set up a working bee two weeks prior to the big event, and have recieved zero interest in anyone helping out at all.

Myself and one other are doing all the leg work, I'm the TD, and we are doing the food and everything too.

Question is, would you ever pull the pin on an event if you recieved zero help from the player body. The governing state body asked us to host, and promised help as well.

Unsure I can pull of a b tier event with 3 people, including course maintenance :-(

I find it is best to ask for volunteers to do very specific jobs. If you just ask players to show up at a work day, then they won't know what work awaits. However, if you say things like: I need volunteers for the work day for the following jobs: Help painting 10 meter circles around the targets. Help cleaning tee pads. Help hauling....etc, etc, etc.

Also, get up the courage to ask people for help with a specific job? Joe, can you help Saturday with trash pick up on Fairways 1 and 3? Asking a direct question gets a direct answer, even if it is no. If Joe says yes, he now has some responsibility to show up and do that job. Don't be afraid to send a reminder email or text the day before. Hey Joe, just a reminder that this Saturday between 10:00am and 1:00pm you are scheduled to pick up the trash from Fairways 1 through 3. Please bring your own gloves. See you there!

Be specific and get better results.....

Also, the promise of food and/or adult beverages usually increases turn out for those on the fence. Also the promise of being able to play the upcoming event layout, when the work is complete, can increase turn out. "Course will be closed all day Saturday. However, all volunteers will be allowed to play Saturday at 3:00 pm after the course workday is completed".

I just read through this and saw at least two people ask where this was. The OP missed them both. So here's the third try: Where is this? None of us can help you if we don't know who or where you are.

I just read through this and saw at least two people ask where this was. The OP missed them both. So here's the third try: Where is this? None of us can help you if we don't know who or where you are.

Yeah from where I stand... far enough away to avoid any work.. Haha... it looks like someone's cranky because stuff isn't happening but he doesn't do anything to better the situation. I don't doubt he's trying to get it done but an online bitch fest about an anonymous location doesn't recruit any more hands...

Maybe he took the advice in early posts, and had no reason to return. Maybe he didn't like the early responses, and left in a snit rather than open himself to more. Maybe he's just too busy, what with all the work and no one to help him, that he hasn't been back.

I surmised Australia, because he mentioned the state's governing body. I've never heard that phrase in the U.S., but am aware of Australia having them, and having state championships granted and it being a big deal. Plus, the much lower disc golf population there---or somewhere else, outside of the U.S.---would make more sense for his story. But that's just a guess.

Latest posts