• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

course navigation-importance and things you can do

in southern new jersey the courses are all poorly laid out and few have the proper idetification to navigate to the next hole. great ideas and i will talk to the local course runners to see what can be done.

Olorin, I'm guessing it looks something like this:

arrow.jpg

ALL HAIL MS PAINT!

Yes, drill into the tee signs and put a bolt or wingnut where the pin is right on the map of the hole, ifpossible. If not, 'a' 'b' and 'c' holes in the tee post and a bolt in the current placement. If no signs, why did you bother with another pin position in the first place? Make a sign instead.

Unfortunately my filtering software won't allow me to see the picture, but i discovered that the shape is called a "chevron". (It's like a sergeant's chevron on it's side.) In MS Word do this:
[FONT=&quot]Insert/ Picture/ Auto shapes/ Choose the Arrows shapes/ choose Chevron.

P.S.- can you post a thumbnail pic?

[/FONT]

Last edited:
At Tyler State Park, ever sign has a knob on the bottom that has three positions for A,B,C. They just point the knob at the right letter and you know where the pin is. Incredibly simple; incredibly easy to change. I don't have a pic handy, but I took one when I was up there because I was so impressed by the signage. Works great and saved tons of walking -- especially when you consider it's a 27 hole course with three pin positions on most of the holes.

yea i've noticed that too its such a great idea almost like a spinner that i guess the course worker changes. it does have flaws though such as someone just going up to it and changing it but i haven't had that problem yet

Personally, I really like the idea of the bricks in the ground with the stenciled "Next Tee >>>" on them.

The problem with painting spokes on the basket is that for many courses, where baskets change positions, it's not going to work well. The other challenges I see are that many people may not know to look for a painted spoke, and even those who do, it seems more likely to wear off than many other forms of marking.

The great part about the stenciled brick idea is that you can have a brick next to every pin position pointing to the next tee. If you've got two or three different tees, just put in two or three different bricks, color coded, each pointing in the correct direction.

Bricks embedded in the ground won't be mowed over and seem really cheap and simple. Great idea.

-Have cement tees? Nice spray painted stenciled hole #'s on the pad go a long way.
Make sure you use non-slip paint.

-Wooden cheap hand made arrows up in trees, or hanging from the basket to point to the next hole.

-Paint a bottom rung of a basket that points at the next tee.
These are good too, IF you have fixed placements for your baskets. If you have movable placements, your painted rungs or arrows might not make sense when the baskets are in the alternate placements. This is more complicated yet if you also have multiple tees. What I think is a better solution is if you have a cement base around your placements, paint the arrows on there. If not, get some bricks or patio stones and put them in the ground there (bury them where they're at grade level so the mowers don't get them). Realize that after a year or two, anything you paint is going to need repainting.

I also highly recommend everybody get an online map of their course made and put it up on their club's website, their parks department's website, and on DGCR. That way first timers and out of towners can print off a copy at their leisure and be ready to go before they even get to your course.

I also highly recommend everybody get an online map of their course made and put it up on their club's website, their parks department's website, and on DGCR. That way first timers and out of towners can print off a copy at their leisure and be ready to go before they even get to your course.

Now THAT's a great idea! :D

I came up with a very easy way to make number plates for our baskets.
I got a 10' piece of 1 1/4 metal fence pipe, cut it into 6" lengths, bought 18 metal electrical box covers and welded the two together(you don't have to weld them, you could just screw them).I painted them all yellow, I bought number decals and labelled them all. It only took a couple hours, $30 bucks, and a couple of cold ones! Oh yea, then I had to take them to the course and screw them together.

We have Mach V's and the 1 1/4 fit nicely into the top.