• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Questions

Blaaaake77

Bogey Member
If you voted in my previous poll about snow disc golf, I thank you very much. We got a lot of great responses and our question answered! Now I just have a few open ended questions I'm hoping you guys will be able to answer pretty well. Answer all or just a few of my questions any answers help us out!

1. Do you stay away from pay to play, or does it not matter?

2. Would you pay a higher one time rate for a membership? This would be a one calendar year (just an example for now) in length besides getting a pass you will get some course gear(clothing and other apperal) as well as a discount on all pro shop purchases. Maybe even a tournament discount fee or exclusive events for members only.

3. Would you take part of monthly tournaments?

4. What are some major amenities you look for at a pay to play course?

5. Would spend time at the "clubhouse" to eat and have a drink after or before a round? That's if we build a bar and grill on the course, which I think we are going to be ending up doing

6. If we offered camping, would you take use of it?

Please leave your answers in a response and add anything that crosses your mind that I may have missed! Thank you again for your help we are very grateful!

1. Doesn't matter
2. Yes, if the course is near to my house
3. Yes
4. Pro shop, bathroom, discs and other stuff for sale, beer, food, snacks, a comfortable place to hang out between rounds, a place to warm up (either a driving range and practice putting green or a small pitch-n-putt course)
5. Yes
6. yes

Separate from these informal polls, you would be wise to actually visit and talk with the owners/managers of the several pay-to-play facilities around the area to determine actual player behavior versus what they say they will do in a poll. Many times actual behavior versus hypothetical behavior do not match.

For example, I'm not sure what players polled here might say about camping. But at Maiden Shade south of the Twin Cities, they've gotten very little camping from disc golfers, even when there's a tournament. But they already had a successful campground before disc golf. They didn't invest to add capacity although they were disappointed that adding disc golf did not increase camping revenues much. And also, their traveling customer camping base really hasn't taken to playing disc golf there as they hoped, even though there are both beginner and advanced level course layouts there.

1. No, I prefer p2p.
2. Yes.
3. Maybe.
4. At least a portapotty.
5. Yes.
6. I hate camping, maybe on a rare occasion.

1. I gladly pay to play if the course is quality.
2. Yes, season passes are the way to go, assuming your not in the middle of nowhere.
3. Yes.
4. Disc shop, bathrooms, maybe a small snack shack kinda deal.
5. Possibly depending on cost and location.
6. Absolutley, I love camping!

1. I don't mind a reasonable fee if it matches the quality and upkeep of the course(s), especially when traveling.
2. At a local course that was noticeably better than other free courses in the area I'd pay for a membership.
3. Yes.
4. Good upkeep, multiple pin placements rotated often, good signage, well-run events etc. I don't care at all about things like benches, pro shops and bathrooms but those seem to be important to a lot of people.
5. Near home, probably not. While traveling, definitely.
6. Near home, never. While traveling I love having camping onsite at courses. It lets us be more flexible with our schedule and it's always nice to be able to get up and play in the morning without having to drive to the course.

1. Doesn't matter. I'm happy to pay to play a great course.
2. Probably not.
3. Rarely. I don't play many tournaments anymore, and the local calendar is already crowded.
4. Great course. Don't care about the rest.
5. Doubtful.
6. No. I don't camp anymore.

With the disclaimer that these answers vary greatly depending on the location of the course. My answers are much different depending on whether it's 5 miles from me, or 30 miles, or 60. They would have been much different 10 years ago, as well.

1. Doesn't matter
2. I would pay up to maybe $50 a year for a membership, if the course was within 10 miles of my house. If it was much farther, I would probably not play it enough to make it worth it.
3. Probably not
4. Bathrooms (porta-potty) are a must. Somewhere to buy cold drinks and snacks is huge plus. (Even vending machines would do)
5. I could definitely see myself getting some lunch after a round, especially if I'm with a group.
6. Never

1. Pay to play is fine.
2. Purchasing a pass will depend on proximity to my house and course quality. If it's close, and good, then I would absolutely consider it. Additional "perks" like clothing and such would not factor into the decision.
3. Tournaments would be great, if I have the time. Same for leagues.
4. I don't need many amenities. Restrooms at least, and sure a pro shop is nice, but it isn't a requirement.
5. I'm not sure if I'd eat and drink before/after a round. Depends on the food offered and the general consensus of the group that day. I imagine sometimes we would want to.
6. I would not camp.

1. Doesn't matter, if the rate isn't more then $5.

2. No...I don't like to feel like I HAVE to play a certain course because I paid for a membership. I'd much rather pay a daily fee...and if I go over what a membership would be, so be it.

3. If it's close enough...but this sounds a lot more like a league than tournaments, to me.

4. Good bathrooms, great tee pads, multiple pin positions, and a shop onsite never hurts.

5. Rarely.

6. Maybe if I was traveling there, but never if it was within a couple hours driving distance.

1. Impossible to stay away for me. I run a P2P course and nearly every course in the state is P2P. It's close to 2 hours to drive to the nearest 18-hole free course.

2. I would if the price point made sense and I'd play enough to justify it. If I didn't work at my course but played it as often as I do now, I'd pay the $200 for a year's pass without hesitation.

3. Some, I imagine but not all. There are only 7 tournaments a year at my course and I only play half of them as it is. I'm more inclined to travel and play different courses in tournaments since more often than not, that's the only chance I get to play other courses.

4. Good tees, good baskets, good signage, scorecard with a good map, and bathrooms (portajohn is fine). Stuff like a pro shop, food, etc are great to have but not essential to me.

5. Not often. At a tournament probably, but for casual play, I tend to get my rounds in and get out.

6. Not likely. I'll echo what Chuck said earlier...it's not a big revenue generator and probably would only get significant use on tourney weekends, but that's only if it's a large-scale event that draws from far enough out of town that people prefer camping to driving home. I don't think we've ever gotten more than one carload of players that camp out at our biggest event, though we only offer the space to pitch a tent (no water, no amenities).

Any way I can get your email or other way of contact so I could ask you somethings about starting up my own course? Would love to talk to someone who has a course and some knowledge!

Feel free to PM right through this site.

1. Everything in Maine is P2P, so no, I don't mind at all. Nothing is free.
2. I would consider a membership if the facility was close enough and the course designs were worthy.
3. Sometimes
4. I think adequate elements (tees, signs, ect.) should be a given. What would I like to see for amenities? Decent bathrooms, Pro shop, clubhouse w/ lounge, bar and grill with patio…
5. Absolutely! Food keeps people on location and playing more golf (and spending more $).
6. Yes, I would camp and I'd probably consider multiple night stays if there were nice lean-tos or even some small 3-season cabins. Showers would be a plus. This is all assuming the course/s at this hypothetical venue are worth playing.

1. It only matters if they use the money wisely. George Wilson in Indiana isn't worth it. They don't maintain the course. Tall Firs in Washington is, because they do maintain it. I'm not going to pay you just for the right to play when there are free courses maintained by the city. I need to see my money at work.

2. Yes, if the course was good enough and the person running the course was a positive part of the disc golf community.

3. I already do.

4. Mowed fairways and quality equipment. I don't care about pro shops, restrooms, etc. Just take care of the course. Low trash. Available (and emptied) trash cans.

5. Nope.

6. If I were visiting. If I were a member? I'd only camp if it was the only way to play glow.

1. Doesn't matter
2. Yes, if the course is near to my house
3. Yes
4. Pro shop, bathroom, discs and other stuff for sale, beer, food, snacks, a comfortable place to hang out between rounds, a place to warm up (either a driving range and practice putting green or a small pitch-n-putt course)
5. Yes
6. yes

Covers my answers to a tee. :thmbup: :thmbup: :hfive:

1. I play where ever my friends and decide to go, usually in advance.
2. If it were close in proximity to where I live, if I get challenged on a game to game basis by the course and it has to be in somewhat pristine condition.
3. Yes
4. Pro shop, of course. Bathrooms, water fountains, benches/seats at every tee pad area.
5. Yes
6. Yes

1. If the fee is reasonable and the course is good I like pay to play. Just make it worthwhile. I'll often come back and tip at the end of the experience is good.

2.Probably, it could be cool to have those benefits.

3. I have a hectic work schedule so I would when I can.

4. Good bathrooms. Drinks especially water and Gatorade for sale. Pro shop is nice if you can swing it. Showers yes, especially if you offer camping.

5. Some yes, but I like to do this more if I'm away from home than at my home course.

6. I might think about camping at the course.

1. Do you stay away from pay to play, or does it not matter?
doesn't matter to me I try to visit good courses whether they're free/P2P, public/private.

2. Would you pay a higher one time rate for a membership?
Only if: I really like the course and it's conveniently enough located to me and priced so that it makes sense in lieu of paying per day/or round.

3. Would you take part of monthly tournaments?
I can see how they could be a good idea. I might participate occasionally, but not every month.

4. What are some major amenities you look for at a pay to play course?
Same as any course: Decent signs with distance, good tees/baskets, practice basket, clean bathroom with running water. Anything beyond that is simply "nice to have."

5. Would spend time at the "clubhouse" to eat and have a drink after or before a round? That's if we build a bar and grill on the course, which I think we are going to be ending up doing. Only if the food was good and the prices are reasonable... I don't believe in paying more just cause it's there. I can't prolly grab a quality meal at a decent price on my way home. Would they use DX Condors as serving trays and mini's as coasters? :D

6. If we offered camping, would you take use of it?
Only if I'm travelling and there's a place to shower. The way I see it, camping and having an annual membership are mutually exclusive; very few people will fall into both categories.

Last edited:

Latest posts