• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crestline, Ohio course pulled by city council just before launch

Man, I was looking forward to having another nearby course.

From what I understand, the person heading this course up was told by city council that he was pretty much on his own with the course. Course was set up on the site of an old dump that volunteers spent a ton of time cleaning up. They were able to get local businesses to donate money in exchange for sign/basket sponsorships, and had raised enough money to complete the course.

They were literally days away from officially opening.

Then, due to city politics, the council had the area marked "no trespassing" and pulled all the baskets. The reasons cited were a bridge that was not marked with a weight limit, some glass and rebar they found (part of the ongoing cleanup effort), and needing to know if "the public even wants this course". They would not even give the person heading the project a chance to comment about or address these things.

Depressing really.

https://www.facebook.com/rlonger/posts/10155222692818904?pnref=story

We're having the same type of problems here. Never ever work with ANY government entity if you can help it. They are professional foot draggers with their own agendas, they serve only themselves, they definitely don't share our passion for the sport, and they only answer to the rich and powerful. P2P courses on private land are the wave of the future.

I liked the part about the city seizing the remaining money the disc golfers had raised.

It took 8 years for local course to finally be put in the ground. A couple of those years were because of an "endangered" bacteria...

Good heavens! I worked with two city guys to design a 9 holer in Ironwood Michigan, and of course they liked it and the city liked it, but now we've been waiting on a budget for going on nearly a year. All I quoted them for was nine Mach II's (our area is small and broke)!!

But enangered bacteria?? That's a whole nother level of ridiculous....

It was really just some local Nimby that was looking for an excuse and found something to get the EPA's attention. Iirc, the bacteria thing was more to do with a lake they were supposed to build there and it stalled the whole development.

Latest posts