• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cubby on PDGA.com

I think it's cool. He seems to have fun doing it. Maybe the PDGA should have included that they aren't first throw aces but it doesn't really matter. I haven't watched any recent videos but they are amusing. Like two minutes long and the first forty five seconds are him walking away from the basket to the tee. Then we see one shot that goes in and the next forty five seconds of him walking to the basket again. I don't know if he's changed this format or not but if he wanted to shut some of the haters up he could include the distance and number of throws it took before he hit the ace just so everyone is clear it's a short hole and not a first throw. I can't imagine retiring all those discs lol.

Everyone knows the deal. I even kid him from time to time about Cubby aces. He's not making money, on anything he does, he's not hurting anyone and like so many others have said, he's a really nice guy. Some of you should be more like Cubby and just have fun.

Seems like we simply need another snappy term other than "Ace" to describe when a disc is thrown into the basket from beyond putting range and it's not during competition. Bangs? Bangers? Holers? Ringers?

I've known Cubby as long as I have been playing. He proves a good point about practice. He spends a lot of time throwing discs but his game has never seemed to get to the next level. He's just not practicing the right things.

Seems like we simply need another snappy term other than "Ace" to describe when a disc is thrown into the basket from beyond putting range and it's not during competition. Bangs? Bangers? Holers? Ringers?

An ace is an ace if it is the first shot from the teepad for that particular hole, period. It's the mulligan aces that need a good name. like fake ace, ghost ace, a nice practice shot, etc.

Regardless of his "scoring" technique, the first online disc vids I ever saw were from Cubby so gotta give credit where it's due for the early exposure. Seeing this guy just blasting aces got me pretty damn excited to throw, regardless if they were legit or not.

i wonder how many were the 1st throw from the tee

I thought a cubby ace was an ace from your 2nd or 3rd try from the t-pad? Isn't that kind of cheese azz? I know it still went in from the t-pad, which is something I have never done.:wall::wall:

Correct! And...therefore, by definition, not an ace!

Dude has a shot named after him. Killer robot cows are going to be long gone and people are still going to be throwing Cubby aces.

Sum of thread.

End thread.

:|

An ace is an ace if it is the first shot from the teepad for that particular hole, period. It's the mulligan aces that need a good name. like fake ace, ghost ace, a nice practice shot, etc.

That's the point, it has a name, thanks to this very man, and it is called a Cubby. Nearly all in disc golf know what that means, no need for a new term. He is forever burned into the disc golf world as Mr. Illegitimate Ace(but still a great shot).

I thought a cubby ace was an ace from your 2nd or 3rd try from the t-pad? Isn't that kind of cheese azz? I know it still went in from the t-pad, which is something I have never done.:wall::wall:

Correct! And...therefore, by definition, not an ace!

hence why his nickname is Cubby. Not to down play him at all, but really if we all emptied our bags at every reachable hole everytime we played it would not take long to reach 500. Now 500 tournament aces would be massively impressive.

Regardless of his "scoring" technique, the first online disc vids I ever saw were from Cubby so gotta give credit where it's due for the early exposure. Seeing this guy just blasting aces got me pretty damn excited to throw, regardless if they were legit or not.

I always tell this true story in a thread like this.

Dave Greenwell was called for a foot fault during a tournament in his younger years. A warning and re-throw which went in the basket for an official carded ace.

So an ace is not always the first shot off the tee. :)

You know whats really pathetic

Berating a guy who is having fun who has done more for the disc golf by being positive and taking the time to film some cool shots as well as video tours of courses and broadcast for dgmonthly

the guy enjoys disc golf and is actually one of the nicest and friendliest guys you will ever encounter

Id rather play a round with Cubby than any of yous guys trashing him online

Everyone knows the deal. I even kid him from time to time about Cubby aces. He's not making money, on anything he does, he's not hurting anyone and like so many others have said, he's a really nice guy. Some of you should be more like Cubby and just have fun.

If you bothered to read the entire thread, at no time did anyone "berate" or "trash" Cubby---it was the PDGA's idolization of his dubious exploits that I and maybe some others took offense to.

On the other hand, believing in anything that the PDGA touts as idol-worthy is like hanging on Dennis Rodman's word that Kim Jong Un is a really nice guy and only executes his relatives when they look like a threat to him. :|

I always tell this true story in a thread like this.

Dave Greenwell was called for a foot fault during a tournament in his younger years. A warning and re-throw which went in the basket for an official carded ace.

So an ace is not always the first shot off the tee. :)

Good story and good point. I've always defined an ace as whether or not it would be carded as a "1" in a tournament round. Dave's re-throw would, so it's an ace. Emptying your bag from a tee and getting the fourth thrown disc in the basket would be carded as a "7" so no ace...unless the first throw was one's first called foot fault of the round (like Dave's), then it would be a "5".

1h3MVhV.jpg

One of a very few entertaining interactions I've had on fuhhhhbook.

I've known Cubby as long as I have been playing. He proves a good point about practice. He spends a lot of time throwing discs but his game has never seemed to get to the next level. He's just not practicing the right things.

My Tennis coach used to say:

"Practice does not make perfect. Perfect Practice makes perfect."

I poke fun but there's nothing wrong with Cubby. I don't see the same criticisms thrown at Brodie Smith. It's just fun to see a shot connect. If you want to get caught up in semantics, go ahead.

Good story and good point. I've always defined an ace as whether or not it would be carded as a "1" in a tournament round. Dave's re-throw would, so it's an ace. Emptying your bag from a tee and getting the fourth thrown disc in the basket would be carded as a "7" so no ace...unless the first throw was one's first called foot fault of the round (like Dave's), then it would be a "5".

For the record I wasn't comparing Greenwell's ace to a Cubby ace.

He has never claimed to make them on his first shots and I'm sure most if not all of us have taken multiple drives on holes many times.

I take multiple shots all the time. I don't count anything but my first shot as an ace. WHy? THEY AREN'T ACES. The only time a second shot would count as an ace (IMHO) is if you are playing as the wildman in a doubles (you get 2 tee shots) then that is a legal "first throw" so it'd count as an ace (it also would go on scorecard as a "1" so it would count.

But, at the end of the day, I don't care how many aces anyone else has. I don't care how many I have. Aces are a bad shot that got lucky and hit the chains to prevent a long putt in almost every case I've ever seen. (if not an OB)

Who truly cares about what guy does within the sport for his own fun?

A bad shot is one that hits the basket or chains. Not trees, not water but the metal part of the target we all throw towards.

Those are bad shots! :rolleyes: