• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dave Dunnipace:Shaping the Sport of Disc Golf

BogeyNoMore

* Ace No More *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I was hesitant to start a new thread for this, but wasn't quite sure where else to put it. It's a pretty cool history lesson, but he also talks a bit about how disc diameter affects aspects of disc flight. I figured more people will end up seeing it if I posted it in the Disc Golf Chat forum, so that's where it ended up.

Not trying to promote Innova, or diss any other manufacturer. Simply sharing clip I found interesting.

If nothing else, it will give you an appreciation for disc golf's humble beginnings and just how far the sport has come. Hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Watched it this morning. It was pretty cool to see the way he would manually modify a disc but cutting, gluing, or melting it together to experiment. Definitely shows how far the sport as well as disc manufacturing technology has come.

Very interesting. In '83 I was buying whatever disc I could find from the back of a van. Someone would be around every few months who had driven in from California and they would have a loose bunch of discs, maybe with the weight marked. We knew putters and drivers, but other than that you just grabbed something and tried to make it work. I remember walking into a t-shirt shop that also sold discs and seeing one on an actual shelf for the first time.

After watching this I started to wonder where Dave got all of the wing parts to plastic weld to the top. I was thinking that there was only the Wham-O's Frisbee available at the time. But then I remembered a book I bought a couple of years ago (Frisbee: A Practitioner's Manual and Definitive Treatise by Dr. Stancil E.D. Johnson, M.D. printed in 1975) and pulled it off the shelf. It turns out there was a lot to choose from. Here is just a list of 77 from 1975.

attachment.php

I thought this was pretty interesting too the names for all of the parts of the disc. Here's just one example.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Flying Discs 3.jpg
    Flying Discs 3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Master Model 2.jpg
    Master Model 2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Flying Discs 2.jpg
    Flying Discs 2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 176
This is always an interesting topic to me. Evolution of design.

Seeing all that crap Dave was piecing together as history is one thing. Highest praise.

Think about it in real time. Dude needed to pay bills and feed the family but still found time and energy for gluing plastic together.

And to believe or know that the flight of those Frankenstein discs meant anything is near insanity.

This applies to so much of what we take for granted today. And there are those twisted minds out there right now doing something absurd that will end up being a novel concept. Or maybe so obvious it is hard to fathom it wasn't invented sooner.

To me it is inspiring. And humbling.

Watched it this morning. It was pretty cool to see the way he would manually modify a disc but cutting, gluing, or melting it together to experiment. Definitely shows how far the sport as well as disc manufacturing technology has come.

Scott Stokely mentions this in his biography which I thought was really cool.

He said Dave would literally use plastic and shaping tools to manually create the early molds for Innova by hand and have people like Scott test them out and pick out which ones were good and which ones sucked.

DD invented the flex shot? Didn't realize that. I do know he is criminally underrated as a thrower. He could rip a disc back in the day.

Latest posts