• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

David Wiggins Jr. Power Grip

Webslinger

Par Member
Was checking out this video of David Wiggins Jr. giving a local disc golfer tips on improving his driving distance. Noticed that David positions his thumb further into the flight plate than other pros I've seen throwing long drives (Avery, Schusterick). Just curious if anybody knows why he does this? Is there an advantage there I'm not understanding?
I position my thumb on the line (boundary) that divides the rim from the flight plate, so about an inch or so from the edge of the rim. I thought that was the best technique.

http://youtu.be/ywEyfD1zTtQ

I've seen a few distance guys do that, I believe you can get more leverage on the disc, but maybe at a cost of nose angle on release that way.

His grip is pretty unique, or was when I saw it up close last year. Not only does he put his thumb way out onto the disc but the fingers are sort of a hybrid power/fan grip where his pads rest both on the plate and the rim. I think the guy is just a freak, plain and simple.

I really struggle with backhand...mostly throw forehands off the tee unless I get a downhill look or a short hole. I've experimented with grip and seem to get better distance by only placing two or three fingers under the disc. I'm unsure if that's helpful or hurtful, but it seems to be easier for me. Any of you gents have experience with this?

My grip is very similar to DW. I feel like I'm able to load my wrist more and have more control over the angle of the disc with this style. I'm not sure if there really is a difference other than feel.