• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deer Lakes or Moraine? which course should I play?

PCDG13

Par Member
Gonna be travelling through the area of these 2 courses and will probably only have time to play 1 of the two (so don't say play both). If you had to pick which one would you play?

Both are great. Moraine is my favorite of the two and in my opinion the more difficult (Gold Tees), plus if you are coming from Ontario it will be right along the way, just off of Interstate 79.

In a couple of weeks (early Oct'ish) the trees of Deer lakes will all be turned and I have to say it is a pretty spectacular setting to play golf in.

By Jerry Gotcher
attachment.php

Attachments

• Deer Lakes.jpg
    Deer Lakes.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 111
i enjoyed Moraine better. My personal oppinion is that Moraine has more unique (fun) features to play through than Deer Lakes.

That photo above reminds me of a few spots at Moraine as well, iirc.

+1 for Deer Lakes.
I like the topography better and I think some of the wooded areas are extra cool. Also, the last time i played Moraine I found some of the rubber pads to be dangerously slippery.

I can't speak on Moraine, but I thoroughly enjoyed Deer Lakes. Drove from Michigan to VA Beach to meet some friends and stopped at the halfway point to throw some discs. Thanks to the DGCR trip planner I had Deer Lakes all queued up and ready to go.

Be ready to walk for sure, it is very scenic with a lot of elevation changes. Almost like they merged a nature trail with a DG course. Loved it, wish I had more time to play it again.

Call in sick- Play both courses!

Really, it is a treat to play either--- Two of my favorite courses so far. My opinion is that Deer Lakes is better.

Both are scenic, have great variety, are in top shape, and are technical. I like Moraine better and suggest it over Deer Lakes. Moraine is a little closer to a main highway as well, and you're chances of running into traffic traveling to and from it are much, much less than Deer Lakes. Moraine is a little more technical and difficult IMO. Deer Lakes does has a few spectacular holes but also has a few pretty boring holes. Moraine has more great holes and no throw-away/boring holes. The only thing Deer Lakes might have on Moraine is it's scenery, but that is a close call.

Moraine by about a tenth of a point. Maybe less.

On the bright side you can't go wrong whichever you choose.

Agree both are awesome, agree that Moraine is more challenging.

I prefer Moraine. To me it seems more consistently top notch than Deer Lakes, which has a few more ups and downs. Moraine is just masterfully done, in terms of technicality, variation, and hole sequencing - holes 6-8 are one of my favorite stretches I've ever played on a course. So many memorable holes on Moraine, too. It's a fantastic, fantastic course.

Moraine is a better tournament course, but I find Deer Lakes a little more fun to play casually. Moraine has lots of options off the tee, but Deer Lakes has bigger hills and taller trees with space to air out a few more shots.

Is Moraine closer to the highway? I could have looked it up, but I remember it being pretty close.

Both are challenging, scenic, well thought out, and above all phenomenal courses.
You really can't lose playing either one, but they have very different personalities.

For lack of a better way to put it, I thought Deer Lakes was the more "civilized" of the two and generally more forgiving on the whole. Don't get me wrong - there's still plenty of opportunity to get into trouble and there's some pretty bad rough if one gets away from you, and you could splash down on 15... but I recall Moraine's rough being more punishing, with a greater liklihood of difficult recoveries should you stray from the fairway.

Personally, I actually prefer Moraine a bit more, but it's a little rougher around the edges and less forgiving overall. Plan on spending more time looking for discs at Moraine vs Deer Lakes. :eek:

Wherever you end up, you'll have a good time.

Last edited:
Is Moraine closer to the highway? I could have looked it up, but I remember it being pretty close.

Moraine is definitely easier to get to than Deer Lakes, right off of 422. The latter is in the boonies.

Both are challenging, scenic, well thought out, and above all phenomenal courses.
You really can't lose playing either one, but they have very different personalities.

For lack of a better way to put it, I thought Deer Lakes was the more "civilized" of the two and generally more forgiving on the whole. Don't get me wrong - there's still plenty of opportunity to get into trouble and there's some pretty bad rough if one gets away from you, and you could splash down on 15... but I recall Moraine's rough being more punishing, with a greater liklihood of difficult recoveries should you stray from the fairway.

Personally, I actually prefer Moraine a bit more, but it's a little rougher around the edges and less forgiving overall. Plan on spending more time looking for discs at Moraine vs Deer Lakes. :eek:

Wherever you end up, you'll have a good time.

This is all pretty dead on, although it's worth mentioning that Moraine is still very well-tended (though indeed not as polished as Deer Lakes). You can definitely get in trouble at Moraine if you stray from the fairway.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I ended up picking Moriane because it was closer to the highway and we had time constraints. Unfortunately due to time constraints I only had time for 1 round which sucked because I always feel like the first round playing a new course is just a feeler because you don't know what hazards to watch out for or which lines work best but all in all a VERY nice course. It was very well maintained, very well marked, great tee pads and signs and a beautiful park. The rough didn't punish me too bad except for #16 that I shanked off the tee. Other then that no issues.

When you guys play do you play all par 3's? I played off the blue (middle tee's) and found some of the par 4 and 5's should only be 3 or 4's imho. Maybe the par 4's and 5's are only from the long tee's?

Latest posts