• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Detroit Area/Southern Ontario

EspressoPatronum

2.6K Cubic Zirconia Lifer
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Eventually, I want to drive through Michigan (Lansing, Ann Arbor, Detroit kind of areas, possibly only the north side of Detroit, we'll see). Any advice on courses here is welcome.

However, where I especially would like the help is if we have any Canadians or anyone who has travelled there to recommend Southern Ontario courses (Toronto, London, Kitchener, Hamilton kind of areas). A lot of the Canadian courses have VERY few reviews and often are one-time drive by reviews from inexperienced viewers who drastically overrate the course - and sometimes there are no pictures on top of that. I can make educated decisions, but if anyone has firsthand input on courses in this area, I'd love to hear it.

If I did this trip I'd also probably hit Bruce Peninsula National Park - any firsthand input on the park that isn't just the run of the mill "go to the Grotto" would be interesting. I'd especially like to hear recommended time of year to go - I prefer to play/hike when it is 45 degrees F or higher, and really, below 65 is ideal, but I'd go up to 85 at least. It looks like summer in the park can be pretty busy, but May looked... cold. I'm wondering if shooting for September or October would be a better idea. I can tolerate a chill in the air but camping overnight in my car and having them temperature drop to 30 or lower is something I'd prefer to avoid, if possible.

I'm going to watch this thread as I am thinking about driving through Canada to Detroit to play this summer. London looks promising.

https://sites.google.com/view/ldga

Sept/Oct is probably going to be cooler, but a decent sleeping bag fixes that.

I-96 corridor, can't go wrong with any combination of Hudson Mills, Independence Lake, Kensington. If you go between 6/12 - 7/31 or 9/25 - 10/29, the Toboggan (DGLO) course will be available. All 2 course complexes (Kensington has 3 when Toboggan is in play). Stony Creek is another 2 course gooder in the northern suburbs. Someone more local can probably be a bit more precise.

I'm going to watch this thread as I am thinking about driving through Canada to Detroit to play this summer. London looks promising.

LDGA

Sept/Oct is probably going to be cooler, but a decent sleeping bag fixes that.
@jupiterboy I did this trip in September so if you haven't already done the same I can provide some level of input. Didn't end up playing most of the "best" courses in the Detroit area due to some uncertainty on opening times but hit a lot, also went over to Barrie, Toronto, and western New York.