• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG in Sandals?

tboese

Par Member
Hey Guys,

Kind of curious if anyone has done much Disc Golfing in sandals (no, not in Jamaica)? I'm not talking about the thong style sandals, but the hiking style sandals. These things have the stability of a normal shoe, but the breathability and comfort of a sandal (assuming you're barefoot). I was looking at the Teva Dozer III for an example (see below). Haven't spent too much time researching different sandals, but I'm kind of curious about the following:

Durability - If you've used any sandals, have you found them to typically have weaker construction than shoes? My Teva Riva's are absolutely awesome and I've had no peeling of the sole after about a year of solid use.
Comfort - Are there even any sandals out there that are comfortable enough to walk around a course for an hour or two? Any issues with lots of rocks/sticks falling into the sandal?

I like the Teva designs mostly because the majority of their footwear has a solid sole attached to the rest of the shoe, and none of the pretty little separate rubber pieces that just rip off after playing a few rounds. In theory, the whole sole of the shoe would have to tear away from the rest of the shoe to mess them up.

Understanding I have the Teva Riva's, and they are awesome shoes, I'm mostly looking for something that I can wear for more casual rounds, so as to not wear out the soles of my Rivas as quickly. I'm also thinking about a cheaper Riva (the Mesh). I'm not in a rush to purchase since this year's season is going to be coming to a close in a month or two, but it's something I'd like to know for next Spring. Still toying with the idea of a pair of Five Fingers also, and thanks to the other thread it sounds like I would need the TrekSports.

Teva Dozer III's:
http://www.teva.com/productdetails.aspx?g=m&productID=4154&model=Dozer%20III

you should try lunas ("running sandals"). use them for a month and your feet and ankles will be stronger than ever. they helped a guy i golf with set a world record.

You're right about needing a solid sole. I started peeling the sole off my Keen Arroyo II sandalish shoes because they weren't made that way. Too bad because they were great otherwise.

I recommend something with toe protection like Keens. I've dragged a toe on a concrete teepad in old-style open toe Tevas and it sucked. Maybe not an issue if you're more adept than me. Dozer toe may be sufficient.

I have Five Fingers but don't play in them. You have to pay attention to your feet a little more with them. Good for your feet. Maybe not so much for your game.

I pretty much only play in a pair of Merrell sandals (Keene copies) for most of the year (SC has the weather for it). I've been doing this for 2 years now and these sandals have held up better than some shoes. It's also really handy if you have to go into water after a disc. They are easy to slip off or you can just leave them on and your feet will sorta dry off after a little bit.

Thanks for the responses.

Apothecary, have you actually used those while playing? I'm really curious how they work when you're trying to plant.

Dogma, yeah those sandals definitely have the non solid sole. Keen does have some sandals (Newports) that look like they'd work. Thanks for the reminder about the toe cover. I'd hate to rip up my toe because I missed that component of the shoe :)

Keltik, thanks for the reminder on the Merrels. Do they have vibram soles, or just a standard Merrell sole? I was hoping to find a sandal with a Viram sole on it, but it doesn't look like they're very common.

I found the Timberland Ledge CT Lace Sandal, but i'd be a little concerned about how the sole is built. It's a solid sole, but it looks like it cuts in at a few places leaving the outside edge by the balls of your feet vulnerable. Ignoring the vibram sole, it looks like Keen and Teva have the best selection. I will say that Keen's sandals impress me way more than the shoes. That's looking at the structure of the sole and how it connects to the rest of the shoe. The DG branded shoes have very limited space where the sole connects, but the sandals pull up high onto the rest of the shoe.

Mine have the Vibram soles but I don't think they make them anymore. they probably got sued by Keen or something. I think the Keen sole is made by Vibram but don't quote me on that.

actually after a quick search I found these: http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/22767M/0/Mens/Cambrian-Stretch?dimensions=0
they do have a Vibram sole. They are basically an update of the ones I bought 2 years ago.

sometimes i go out in my birks.. then when i drive i throw off my birks and drive barefoot.

Ive been playing in the same pair of keens now for two summers. They've held up to the abuse fine and the toe covering has definitely saved me a few times. I've found the toe protection the most valuable not when teeing off but walking through the woods. I've kicked up some sticks that wounld have given me a nasty cut.

I do like those lunas though. I'll have to pickup a pair of those this spring.

Yeah, toe protection is a must have for DG shoe, salomon guy here, love em. Can't see why not sandals wouldn't work, but yer toes are going to get cut off.

I've worn my Chacos to play a couple casual rounds at open courses... but again, the toe protection thing is a big one. I do not make a habit of it.

Old style Chacos are excellent. Sadly, the company was recently bought out by Wolverine, and have since then dropped in overall quality, and have a tendency for splitting soles.

However, when Chaco was a solo company, their sandals were unbeatable. Their soles were made of one piece of rubber, rumored to be made of tire rubber. If you happen to find a pair that was manufactured before the company was bought, I highly recommend them, as they are extremely supportive and solid.

Latest posts