• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGA Mach II or Lighting DB-5

My vote is the DB-5.

DB-5's are built like tanks. Mach II's catch better out of the box, but only because the single row of chains on the DB-5 means a lot of blow-throughs. Put an extra layer of chains on the DB-5 and it's the better basket.

The Mach IIs do look prettier though.

I'd go with the Mach II for a practice basket. Already has an inner set of chains, and if you add 6 along the inner ring at the top, it'll be superior to the 10 plus you'd need to add to the DB-5 to keep that target from excessive pole outs.

Looks better, just as tough but more "polished", it's from the company that invented our target, and Lightning is out of business, DGA is not. (DGA has a 20 year warranty on their baskets.)

I ended up getting the DGA Mach II. Its a solid basket but does spit out every once a while. At this point, I don't think I going to put any additional chains since its just for putting practice.

I'd go with the Mach II for a practice basket. Already has an inner set of chains, and if you add 6 along the inner ring at the top, it'll be superior to the 10 plus you'd need to add to the DB-5 to keep that target from excessive pole outs.

Looks better, just as tough but more "polished", it's from the company that invented our target, and Lightning is out of business, DGA is not. (DGA has a 20 year warranty on their baskets.)

I believe gottagogottathrow.com sells/distributes Lightning Baskets now.

I have 3 mach 2's floating around my property which we use as we play test new holes. When we get the pin location set where we like we install the permanent DisCatchers which we purchased used when a fellow private course owner decided to close up shop. We were planning on outfitting all 18 holes with Mach 2's but the used DisCatchers became available at a price that I had to jump on.

The Mach 2's have been outside since I first bought them about 3 years ago. They've been through all the weather that the N. KY area can throw at them and other than the target sticker being faded they look pretty much like they just came out of the box.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy more if I'm in the market. If we decide to add a "putter course" to the property I would probably just buy 6 more and use the 3 I already have. Excellent basket for the price.

I believe gottagogottathrow.com sells/distributes Lightning Baskets now.

I thought that Gotta Go Gotta Throw had worked with some overseas factory to make the baskets for Lighting just as they did with the Bags For Lighting. The bags were made for Lighting and for years before Lighting was ownd by Gotta Go Gotta Throw the company Gotta Go Gotta Throw had the same bags without the Lighting logos on them that Lighting did not have. It was Why when original owner of Lighting died, Gotta Go Gotta Throw was the best company to take in everything Lighting.

My vote is the DB-5.

DB-5's are built like tanks. Mach II's catch better out of the box, but only because the single row of chains on the DB-5 means a lot of blow-throughs. Put an extra layer of chains on the DB-5 and it's the better basket.

The Mach IIs do look prettier though.

DB-5 can be found for a better price then the Mach II so that is another factor Personally I would go with this for $110 and use the clear coat spray paint on the Basket, the kind that can be used on metal. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Catche...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VTKRR8AH2V2RJPJ7NP85

Can you please elaborate on which spray paint for metal please?

Might not even be necessary if that basket I mentioned is Galvanized or Protected Steel of some kind. I was just meaning clear coat spray paint, semigloss of what ever is lowest gloss, kinds made for metal though not the ones for wood/plastic. Just look at the can and it will tell you if it works on metal.

Last edited:
Also I have seen others comment about https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Catche...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VTKRR8AH2V2RJPJ7NP85 and say they have left the basket out all winter with no rusting so, it seems to be made of some sort of powder coated steel looking closer, the only parts that have rusted on people are the cheep bolts holding the basket togther but then those are best replaced at a hardware store as others have had them break on putting them on.

Latest posts