• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Diamond X Downsizing

That stinks. Never been, but I,ve heard about the place and have seen pictures and videos. Place looks awesome.

Are they getting rid of a lot of signature holes?

Yeah, pretty well heartbreaking for us locals. The holes that are being removed are the first 9 that went in, which includes the "famous" basket on the side of the cliff hole among a couple of other player favorites. Holes 8 & 9 of the Red Course(Right front 9 as you look at the big bowl) may also need to be relocated as well.

The tough deal is that the course was never approved to be in the park. Our Parks Dept understands that it's a destination, the superintendent had 1 traveler from WI and 2 from WV(?) show up the day they were closing it and he had to personally turn them away. I've been telling them for 2+ years, since I started a new club and began working to improve the local DG community, that Billings has something very special in Diamond X. Their issue is that the land was donated as a natural park with the stipulation of not developing it and the fact that the DG course was put in doesn't sit well with them.

Our club, along with the the help of a local civil engineering firm, is looking to design a couple of proposals to either create a new loop in a very unused area of the park that would connect to one of the top 9's or even work out a major redesign. While our hopes aren't high that we'll get anything major approved, we're going to fight to maintain what we can of one of the most unique and beautiful golf courses in the country. Our first goal is to make sure we get Red 8 & 9 taken care of. With that done we'll have the 1 front nine and still both back nines, which also contain a number of signature holes.

They were supposed to have it re-opened for play by next weekend, when Billings hosts the Big Sky State Games. I'll keep the course page and this thread updated as things progress. Feel free to PM or post with any questions and I'll do my best to answer. I appologize to anyone who was unable to play the X since it's closure in May.

That is a bummer. Probably the most unique course in the country and something I really enjoyed playing and played a ton back in the 2002-2006 time frame, and still in my top 5 of over 200 courses played. Not that it helps, but there is a lot of room up top on the blue side for more conventional-type holes, doubt that area gets utilized very much because its so far to get to it. When I helped run the Region 7 championships back in 2006, we put in 9 temps over there (starting right after blue 14 or 15 I think it was, and went west. Some killer par 4's in there and a monster par 5, and tied back into blue 16.

One thing I will say, is that that local club events (and even the pdga for sanctioning some of those events) has been playing with fire the past decade with safety, whenever utilizing holes like "scare tactics" and black 18. These holes incredibly fun to play, but are really unsafe for any player not used to this type of golf, or footing without decent balance. I think its probably been extremely fortunate that no one fell off something and got seriously injured (outside of Judd during his casual round quite a few years ago on scare tactics).

Well hell! I suppose there's no trip to Montana for me now. That's too bad. I should've made it happen.

Glad I got a chance to play it before they ruin it. :(

That is a bummer. Probably the most unique course in the country and something I really enjoyed playing and played a ton back in the 2002-2006 time frame, and still in my top 5 of over 200 courses played. Not that it helps, but there is a lot of room up top on the blue side for more conventional-type holes, doubt that area gets utilized very much because its so far to get to it. When I helped run the Region 7 championships back in 2006, we put in 9 temps over there (starting right after blue 14 or 15 I think it was, and went west. Some killer par 4's in there and a monster par 5, and tied back into blue 16.

One thing I will say, is that that local club events (and even the pdga for sanctioning some of those events) has been playing with fire the past decade with safety, whenever utilizing holes like "scare tactics" and black 18. These holes incredibly fun to play, but are really unsafe for any player not used to this type of golf, or footing without decent balance. I think its probably been extremely fortunate that no one fell off something and got seriously injured (outside of Judd during his casual round quite a few years ago on scare tactics).

Darrell, your extra 9 from that Region 7 tourney has been discussed as one of the possible adds to our re-design. It left a lasting impression on the guys that played who are still around and involved. If we end up using any of that and have questions, I hope you wouldn't mind if we reached out to you.

The part that bums me out about the whole thing comes down to what you say about safety. The city is closing what a geotechnical firm told them was the most dangerous part of the park when, really, the whole place isn't particularly safe. Anyone going into Phipps thinking they're going for "a walk in the park" is either misinformed or clueless. This isn't the first large rock slide out there since the course has been in. It's the first large rock slide to be blown up on social media so the city had to react. Closing off their exclusion zone doesn't guarantee any park user's safety. Countless areas exist where rocks can fall or have fallen and create unsafe ares to walk through, rattlesnakes, lack of amenities(I've known of multiple heat stroke victims), or the near unusable road system that had to updated after an ambulance couldn't get to a walker that fell and broke their leg a year or so ago.

Unfortunately, the situation has developed and the green front is being/is already partially removed. While I feel that it takes away a quite bit of the charm and some unique shots from the course, it was the easiest golf of the four nines. Hopefully if we can come to an agreement with the city, what come of this will improve the level of golf and quality of the course as a whole. Even if it remained with only 1 front 9 and both back 9's, The X will still be a destination.

It is a serious bummer. Everyone who uses that park understands the unique hazards and risks. It literally comes with the territory. People go there to rock climb and mountain bike...pulling some disc targets out isn't really going to improve public safety that much. It's just a symbolic CYA move, but it happens to mar a true gem of a course.

Still, hoping for a good re-design! I've heard nothing but good things regarding the 9 holes that tie in with the blue side.

Yeah, pretty well heartbreaking for us locals. The holes that are being removed are the first 9 that went in, which includes the "famous" basket on the side of the cliff hole among a couple of other player favorites. Holes 8 & 9 of the Red Course(Right front 9 as you look at the big bowl) may also need to be relocated as well.

The tough deal is that the course was never approved to be in the park. Our Parks Dept understands that it's a destination, the superintendent had 1 traveler from WI and 2 from WV(?) show up the day they were closing it and he had to personally turn them away. I've been telling them for 2+ years, since I started a new club and began working to improve the local DG community, that Billings has something very special in Diamond X. Their issue is that the land was donated as a natural park with the stipulation of not developing it and the fact that the DG course was put in doesn't sit well with them.

Our club, along with the the help of a local civil engineering firm, is looking to design a couple of proposals to either create a new loop in a very unused area of the park that would connect to one of the top 9's or even work out a major redesign. While our hopes aren't high that we'll get anything major approved, we're going to fight to maintain what we can of one of the most unique and beautiful golf courses in the country. Our first goal is to make sure we get Red 8 & 9 taken care of. With that done we'll have the 1 front nine and still both back nines, which also contain a number of signature holes.

They were supposed to have it re-opened for play by next weekend, when Billings hosts the Big Sky State Games. I'll keep the course page and this thread updated as things progress. Feel free to PM or post with any questions and I'll do my best to answer. I appologize to anyone who was unable to play the X since it's closure in May.

Thanks for all of your work on this Brent :thmbup:

Brent:
Cory W. was a large part of the design on that extra 9, and Christian had some input as well. If you guys do need/want help on any design re-work there, I would suggest that you ask Christian - sure he could probably help out (he has the most knowledge and experience on that course (outside of probably Judd). The 2nd par 5 of that temp stretch that Cory came up with was especially devious, big dogleg right with drop off left and a lot of tree trouble right, and beautiful natural fairway. Regardless, with the amount of room up there and trees, will be hard for you guys to not come up with something good.

There was big chunk that came off of the cliffs under/around black 18 back in early 2000's, and think it destroyed basket 2 or 3, and then the giant rock just became another obstacle for that hole. And you are 100% correct, other than walking the main two track, not much a person can do out there without some safety risk - whether mountain biking, rock climbing, hiking or hucking plastic.

Never heard the part about no permission. Always thought that Jim Rott had an in there, and he had permission on everything he did - but maybe nothing in writing? Sounds like city may be taking easy way out as suggested and in full CYA mode. But if they leave you with something that is close - that would be big plus.

I agree the 1st 9 was definitely the easiest, so if you had to lose something that may be best you can hope for, and though rarely ever get to play out there anymore, will still miss the uniqueness of 5, 6 and 8 (when it was frogs eye gong - only hole I can honestly say I got every score from a 1 to a 9 on it - ha ha) and #9 of course.

That is devastating. :( :( :(

I deeply regret not getting out there when I could have. :\

That's probably my only wish-listed course on here.

Phipps Park reopened today. I'm heading out after work to check out the damage/throw some frisbees. If all went according to the Parks Dept. plan, there will only be a front 7. I've been told they have an area that they're ok with using to replace 8 & 9 red but need input on the layout. Hope to have those holes replaced in the next week or two tops. I'll post updates as progress is made.

Played Diamond X on Saturday. Pretty windy, but it was nice to be out there.

I'm pleased to report that a replacement 9 hole layout is now available to play at Diamond X! It's currently installed with Tone targets, but we will have temporary pro baskets available for the upcoming Spring Fling tournament (5-6-17) as well as the Montana State Disc Golf Championships later this year.

The new 9 has a lot of what made the old Green layout so great: a mix of long bomb shots and memorable shorter holes, tricky terrain with some challenging pin locations, and LOTS of elevation changes! The new front 9 also provides an alternate route to reach the top of the rim rock formations, allowing players to easily complete an 18 hole round on either of the existing back 9 layouts (Blue & Black).

Perhaps most critically, local players have been working with the Billings Parks & Recreation Dept to make sure that all safety concerns are addressed. In addition to ensuring the safety of players & spectators on the course, I think it's going to be very helpful to have a good working relationship with the City going forward.

Lots of work has gone into making this possible. Big shout out to Seth White/Air Fairways. Seth has been instrumental in developing the new layout, as well as putting in leg work to make it happen. Lots of help has also come from members of Disc Golf Billings. Big thanks to everyone who's put in time to bring Diamond X back!

I'm pleased to report that a replacement 9 hole layout is now available to play at Diamond X! It's currently installed with Tone targets, but we will have temporary pro baskets available for the upcoming Spring Fling tournament (5-6-17) as well as the Montana State Disc Golf Championships later this year.

The new 9 has a lot of what made the old Green layout so great: a mix of long bomb shots and memorable shorter holes, tricky terrain with some challenging pin locations, and LOTS of elevation changes! The new front 9 also provides an alternate route to reach the top of the rim rock formations, allowing players to easily complete an 18 hole round on either of the existing back 9 layouts (Blue & Black).

Perhaps most critically, local players have been working with the Billings Parks & Recreation Dept to make sure that all safety concerns are addressed. In addition to ensuring the safety of players & spectators on the course, I think it's going to be very helpful to have a good working relationship with the City going forward.

Lots of work has gone into making this possible. Big shout out to Seth White/Air Fairways. Seth has been instrumental in developing the new layout, as well as putting in leg work to make it happen. Lots of help has also come from members of Disc Golf Billings. Big thanks to everyone who's put in time to bring Diamond X back!

Great News! I plan to play Diamond X on my visit to Montana this August! I look forward to crossing this epic course off my disc golf bucket list.

Happy to see Diamond X DGC lives on, now legitimately which is huge. Good luck on your future work there. The one time I played there is still in my top 5 all time of disc golf rounds. I'm curious as to what the safety issues would be there, and how they are going to be addressed. I was a little queasy on the one drive off the top (hole 18?), where too much follow-through could result in a big fall down.. but I'm just a flat-lander.

Latest posts