• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Different O- Lace runs

MrDarkHorse

Eagle Member
I know the original R420 basically became the 420 and then the Solace.

But as far as I know there are/were at least 2 or 3 different versions of the O-Lace before they settled on the "real" run.

Can anyone teach me to spot the different runs and explain their characteristics?

Yes I know. After the Lace, Vibram came out with the R419 and 420. The 419 became the unLace, but the 420 was deemed too overstable to be the O-Lace mold they were hoping for.

But they did release the R420 as the 420, and then the Solace after it got some negative press.

But my point is, I know they went back to the drawing board on making something in between the Lace and the Solace, and ended up coming out with at least one short run of O-Lace's that were deemed to be too under stable and therefore too similar to the Lace, before they retooled and came out with the modern O-Lace.

I'd just like to know if there's a way to spot the "bad" run of O-Laces, because I think there are some in circulation and I don't want to pick one up by accident.

The last time i talked about the O-Lace and trying to find what run you have is impossible. There is no distinction between first run second run and so on. I think it might not be possible.

I have no idea if they changed this or not, but the 'flight chart' that is stamped on the back of my O-Lace is for a LHBH (or RHFH) throw. I recall reading somewhere (or maybe just imagined it) that this was just a simple mistake of placing the mold in backward and that it would be corrected. If so, and the stamp now shows RHBH for the flight, you can likely find the earlier run O-Laces by way of that LHBH stamp.

They did several adjustments to get the mold dialed in but all adjustments were made prior to the first production run.

Latest posts