• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

different tee pad lengths

Should our club shorten the teepads on par 3 holes to save $ and put in more pads?

• Keep the teepads all the same length

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • 10' pads on par 3s

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • 8' pads on par 3s

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Shorten all the pads on the rec course

Votes: 19 18.4%

• Total voters
I had a guy complain once because he liked to run up from the side of the tee...really...you want me take out trees to the right of the tee because you have a goofy sideways run up...lol

Do whatever you want....If a player cannot adjust its a weakness in their game and not a weakness in your design

I like to do that on some holes but I wouldn't go so far as to complain about it, lol.

I think there is a clear line b/w a weakness in your game from not adapting vs unable to adapt b/c you are how god made you.

A 7' guy's stand and deliver is still going to take up more than 3' of width just b/c his legs are so long and his feet are that big. Probably. :|

explain to me where being tall is an advantage over being short on a disc golf course as far as the layout or equipment is involved...

i've got no problem for smaller tees on short holes but once you hit 300' i think you need to either give a player a 4' wide pad or a pad that's even with the ground and space beside the pad to allow for a runup.

you can call it an extra challenge all you want but what it really is, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. if one big guy steps off that pad and it's not level so he rolls/breaks his ankle and you might have a course pulled.

my friend broke his ankle at kentwood because they have dinky 3x5 pads that are in some places 8" off the ground, he stepped off the side, on to a root and snap. luckily he didn't sue the city because he didn't want the course to get in trouble but next time that happens who knows.

Both of you are talking about unsafe tees that would be unsafe regardless of size. Smaller level tees flush with the surrounding ground are not unsafe, just challenging for some players. There's no PDGA official spec for tee size (like there is for discs and targets) and hard surface tees are optional. So there's little basis for any lawsuit other than against tees of any size that are unsafe for a variety of reasons.

I have never complained about narrow tee pads, but ones that slope up or downhill and ones with big drops off the front are real safety issues, not to mention encouraging erosion.

Do whatever you want....If a player cannot adjust its a weakness in their game and not a weakness in your design

this sums it up perfectly

i feel this will become a arguing match of this should be this for these reasons Vs. this should be that for those reasons, when it should be up to a course designer to build it, and for us schmucks to huk on it

Flush is king but even it doesn't help a narrow tee if the surrounding ground is muddy/wet/icy etc.

I absolutely get what you're saying about the legality of tee sizes, no argument there. I would just like to encourage future tees from not being narrower than ~3.5'. It reminds me of my basketball days where the width of the course is blatantly too narrow for modern athletes and the reluctance to change it b/c "it adds challenge*."

*actually, real reason is b/c they don't want to take out a row of expensive courtside seats

Bigger is always better for teepads. I don't recall ever not using an entire teepad, no matter how big it was. I want it wide and I want it long. Level is nice, but level only lasts so long. When it gets muddy, the dirt around the teepad gets carried out onto the fairway by the players and the pad gradually "rises." Mulch helps, but only so much.

I want a teepad I can start my run up on. I almost always start off the back of the teepad and my first step is onto the pad. That's dumb.

My ideal teepads would be cone shaped. 4'-5' wide at the front, 12' wide at the back, 15-20 feet long. Yea, it's a lot of concrete, but you only make these things once. If the stupid thing is 3x6 feet, I don't even want it there. It's just in the way. Use a dirt pad instead if you can't afford a few more bags of concrete.

Rant over.

This course doesn't have any problems with level tees. Even with dirt the tees we have now they are almost completely flat. This course has been rated in the top 50 on this site numerous years and that's with all dirt pads. We are just trying to make sure that we make this course the best it can be. This is why we are trying to get the best tees possible.

I too believe bigger is better but unless we get a lot of donations (which we are excepting on our website www.centraliadiscgolf.com) then this simply isn't going to happen.

This course we are discussing is in Centralia IL and called Foundation (look it up and come visit our beautiful course for a great challenge.)

I have a personal bias towards 12' tee pads. The course I learned on, and the 3 courses I play 90% of my rounds on, have 12' tee pads, and my footwork has evolved to match them. Shorter pads are, at the least, an annoyance.

Where shorter pads must be installed, my wish is that the back be as flush with the ground as possible to allow starting off the teepad, without having to step up.

I realize this is just a personal problem and not a good designs/standard argument. My best stab at one would be that shorter tees handicap those used to longer ones, while longer tees do not affect thosed used to shorter ones. So, please, 12' whereever possible.

I might be in favor of a rule change that allowed a player to not have all supporting points on the tee at the time of release as long as their plant foot that would normally be behind a mini is completely on the tee. That might help taller players when some tees are on the small side. For example in ball golf, the player doesn't physically have to be standing inside the tee markers, just the tee and ball.

10' is about as short as I would go on the tees. Most in SE Michigan are at least that long. One course that has 8' tees (Bandemer Park) sticks out like a sore thumb and everyone complains about the tees being too short. IF they were better taken care of with leveling behind the pads, it would not be as big an issue, but the city of Ann Arbor doesn't do any regular maintenance on the pads.

Now on one hand I like the 8' tees at Bandemer because it makes the course unique, and adds a challenge because it forces most players to adjust their run-ups. But on the other hand, it can be dangerous when the pads are not flush with the ground. I would add challenge elsewhere IMO and look to make all of the pads at least 10' long, unless you KNOW that the park will do a good job with maintenance for the life of the course.

Are you doing these tee pads yourself or having a contractor do it? The reason for asking is if doing them yourself theres not that big of a difference, about a dollar a square foot for the price of the concrete alone, in making them longer. One cubic yard of concrete will do right at 80 sq/ft @ 4" thick. You can get about 100-105 sq/ft @3" thick. 3" is plenty thick enough for foot only traffic. It breaks down like this. you can have 2- 4'x10'x4", 2- 5'x10'x3", 2- 4'x12'x3", or 3- 4'x8'x3" per cubic yard of concrete. Concrete runs around $80-100 dollars per yard

If it's a contractor doing the work, that's a whole other ball game. Get lots of quotes. Unions and insurance really drive the price up so if possible try to find a smaller company needing the work over a larger reputable company. A tee pad is super easy to do so you don't need the big name to do it right.

I'm 6'6" so I vote for the longer pads.

Pier Park DGC in OR built their tees level with the ground, in a 6-8 months wet environment. Tee #s 4, 9, 11, 17 are slowly sinking into the ground, and creating little square ponds to throw from. On hole # 13, I started throwing a LHBH hyzer, the approach of which is a 45* angle right to left across the tee. Righties watching me liked the shot so much they now anhyzer the same shot, and though the tee was never designed for this approach, we make it work.

I guess my take on this is: I'm 6'. 8' can be long enough, if there is 2'-3' of level run-up just behind the tee. 4' width is OK---if you need wider, adjust your start accordingly. Make the tees ground level if at all possible, but account for wet/flowing-soil conditions---i. e., build up the surrounding ground at least 3'-4' behind and in front of tee, surrounded with railroad ties if necessary. #3 at Pier Park, on a sideslope, is done like this.
Best wishes, seems like you're really attuned to the best tee boxes you can afford.

I absolutely love Centralia. If you read the reviews the tees are the #1 issue. I would not be in a rush to get them done this season. Raise as much money this season and install the front 9 tee pads. Run more fundraisers in 2013 and install the back 9. In 4 years you could have all 36 tees done. I would not sacrifice anything for this course. This course is awesome! It deserves awesome tee pads too.

Last edited:
Shorten the rec teepads. That'll give the rec players incentive to work on their game so they can play in the big boys' sandbox without looking like total dorks.

Shorten the rec teepads. That'll give the rec players incentive to work on their game so they can play in the big boys' sandbox without looking like total dorks.

This course is a big boy course from the shorts. It's an absolute beast from the longs. You can get a good idea how tough this course is. Check out rounds 2 & 3.
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/16288/Open

I absolutely love Centralia. If you read the reviews the tees are the #1 issue. I would not be in a rush to get them done this season. Raise as much money this season and install the front 9 tee pads. Run more fundraisers in 2013 and install the back 9. In 4 years you could have all 36 tees done. I would not sacrifice anything for this course. This course is awesome! It deserves awesome tee pads too.
Agreed. I played a solo round at Centralia a couple years ago during a vacation in St. Louis and the lack of tees was the only downer for me.

I don't think the Rec course would need 12' pads, but if money and space allow I would make them all the same on the Championship course.

Latest posts