• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Directional aid penalty

I can fully understand the need for clarification. Sometimes people just misread/misinterpret the rules, especially when two or more rules might be involved.

I was a Tournament Official for Vista at the Memorial. A question I had was kind of similar to this one. On one hole, there was a mando that you had to stay to the left of, the mando line was painted from the mando and onto the right for a fair distance. To the right of the mando was also an OB sidewalk. A player's disc crossed the OB and then the painted Mando line...so both restricted areas were entered. Two drop zones were in effect, one for the mando and one for the OB (if a disc went OB on the tee shot, the player had the option to play from where it was last inbounds or from the OB drop zone). The player went to the OB drop zone. Another player on the card said it was played wrong that the mando took precedence regardless of which happened first. I had to show him the rules in the rule book (since both penalties - one throw - were the same, the first took precedence). He accepted it, but still felt it was the wrong call and that the mando always takes precedence, but he couldn't point to a rule or anything. The totally weird part was that the mando drop zone was actually closer to the basket, from the OB drop zone the player still had to pass the mando.

There will always be questions about precedence or does this rule override this other one.

If a disc misses both the mandatory and OB, the mandatory is now always 1st because it is based on the flight of the disc, while OB is based on the the final position of the thrown disc. Since the missed mandatory is based on the disc still in motion, it happened first.

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-a...have-occurred-single-throw-how-do-i-determine

Last edited:
If a disc misses both the mandatory and OB, the mandatory is now always 1st because it is based on the flight of the disc, while OB is based on the the final position of the thrown disc. Since the missed mandatory is based on the disc still in motion, it happened first.

https://www.pdga.com/faq/rules/qa-a...have-occurred-single-throw-how-do-i-determine

Got it....I made a mistake on the call. Bummer, I know the three players on the card also made the same mistake with the call....but still. I did give the player with the concern the opportunity to appeal it to the TD and he chose to not do so.

My thought was:
1. the disc went OB at this spot first
2. then it passed the mandatory line
3. then it landed OB.

So the spot of the OB was prior to the mando line, therefore, the OB happened first. But now I see my mistake. Even though the disc DID go OB first, because there was a possibility of it going back in bounds, by the rules it couldn't be called OB yet.

Thank you for letting me know that.

Two drop zones were in effect, one for the mando and one for the OB (if a disc went OB on the tee shot, the player had the option to play from where it was last inbounds or from the OB drop zone).

The totally weird part was that the mando drop zone was actually closer to the basket, from the OB drop zone the player still had to pass the mando.

Wouldn't life just be easier if there a single drop zone for both infractions?

Wouldn't life just be easier if there a single drop zone for both infractions?

Oh man....nope. Wish it was true, but we had players complain that there wasn't a drop zone for each individual mando (a couple of holes had two mandos and one mando drop zone for both of them). There were even complaints that there should be two OB drop zones...one for if you went OB before any mandos and one for if you went OB after the mando(s).

It actually would have been easier to have NO drop zones. The rules don't require them. For OB, you just rethrow from where it was last in bounds....if that means throwing over the pond again and again until you are out of discs...oh well.... For mandos, if there's no DZ, you go back to your last lie and throw from there....keep missing the mando....oh well. Now THAT would make life easier for Tournament Officials....not so much the players though.

Latest posts