• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Disc collecting

Katana270

(Sorry about the rant but....) Why in the world are people selling discs for such ridiculous pricing. The value of a disc is its value on the coarse. Discs that people like me used to use all the time as a staple in the bag have become this collector crap and now a disc that should cost $15 is now $30, $50, sometimes $100. This is infuriating. Sorry but I had to get that out. Am I the only one who feels this way?

So many discounted discs available right now from almost every manufacturer/retailer - folks will be unloading stock and unwanted mystery box discs on secondary so maybe try out something new to become a 'staple' ITB.

Surely there are stock discs that cost under $20 that will suit your needs. No shame in throwing factory seconds or misprints either.

So many discounted discs available right now from almost every manufacturer/retailer - folks will be unloading stock and unwanted mystery box discs on secondary so maybe try out something new to become a 'staple' ITB.

Surely there are stock discs that cost under $20 that will suit your needs. No shame in throwing factory seconds or misprints either.
It's a matter of knowing what works. When a Star Destroyer costs $40 when it used to be $15 and you've used one for almost 2 decades it's like "what the heck man".

A stock Star Destroyer is $19 from discsport.eu, should be an ameribuck or three cheaper in the US.

If for any reason you can't get those cheap, I'm sure if you start a thread along the lines of "Star Destroyers were $15 and now they're $100, I'm voting with my wallet, recommend similar discs", I'm sure you'd get some useful replies, since we should be long past the point where only one disc can be thrown in a certain slot.

If you can't get the specific cheap discs you want and won't vote with your wallet, you may be out of luck.

(Sorry about the rant but....) Why in the world are people selling discs for such ridiculous pricing. The value of a disc is its value on the coarse. Discs that people like me used to use all the time as a staple in the bag have become this collector crap and now a disc that should cost $15 is now $30, $50, sometimes $100. This is infuriating. Sorry but I had to get that out. Am I the only one who feels this way?
Why can't I be out happy hunting till I find it at a ridiculously low price, or give up and get cheated fair for a disc that is either old, rare, or so niche that only a tiny percentage of other disc golfers who care?

It's a matter of knowing what works. When a Star Destroyer costs $40 when it used to be $15 and you've used one for almost 2 decades it's like "what the heck man".

I know you're being facetious but stock discs haven't really gone up in price too bad compared to everything else. Shouldn't be too hard to find a Star Destroyer under 20 dollars before shipping.

You all oughta see some of the shenanigans that go on in the whiskey world.

All I'm saying is that when you've been playing 20 years you get stuck in your ways and that should be ok. If I want a disc I've been used to throwing for years and now when you go to buy one, they're priced like antiques instead of a normal disc. Does this seriously not bother people?

I know you're being facetious but stock discs haven't really gone up in price too bad compared to everything else. Shouldn't be too hard to find a Star Destroyer under 20 dollars before shipping.

You all oughta see some of the shenanigans that go on in the whiskey world.
They are all stock discs unless there's some crazy art done on them. That of coarse I would understand but that's not what I'm talking about. I saw an echo star katana online someone wanted $48.00 for. Or an echo star Boss for $63.00

A stock Star Destroyer is $19 from discsport.eu, should be an ameribuck or three cheaper in the US.

If for any reason you can't get those cheap, I'm sure if you start a thread along the lines of "Star Destroyers were $15 and now they're $100, I'm voting with my wallet, recommend similar discs", I'm sure you'd get some useful replies, since we should be long past the point where only one disc can be thrown in a certain slot.

If you can't get the specific cheap discs you want and won't vote with your wallet, you may be out of luck.
That wasn't my point

What? I don't get what you're saying here.
Considering you posted at 1:33 am. I get it.
It's a very easy to understand rebuttal to your rant about "collectible" plastic. Now do you want a lightly used Night Strike 2 for $75 bucks or NOT. Sure, for ALL intents and purposes, it's a Hawkeye. BUT. If you really are a dork about disc golf. It's glow plastic, and molded just slightly different than the FD's Innova made for Discmania, and also the rest of the Night Strikes.
Now do you get it?
People are happy to pay what the will for what they want. And if it's a mold with history. That dork will appreciate the hell out of THE find and paying for stuff that isn't around any longer. For any number of reasons. It's the same thing with ANY collectible market and its dorks.

Personally I'm miffed that my stock of old patent pending OOP MVP stuff isn't worth more.... all these collectors scrambling for the new ones, that there are a 1000 more of. I've tried dumping some of my stuff for different charity fundraisers and it's been disappointing.

Proto time lapses for starters, $100 for something that has a stock run semi available. It reminds me of everyone getting on the baseball/hockey card train in the 90s. I think I can sell my unopened boxes for the same as I bought it for, with 3 decades of inflation I'm losing haha.

I have my limit for SE discs and it's right around $45 CAD or an hours wages. (What I recently spent on a full glow glitch to throw). I picked up a OOP plasma tangent for $25 last month, I felt like that should have been 45-50 bucks but i wouldnt have paid more than 30. It seems like the max median pricing for nice stuff in the US is about 30-40. With the exception of things that are bonkers, like the right run of destroyers.

All I'm saying is that when you've been playing 20 years you get stuck in your ways and that should be ok. If I want a disc I've been used to throwing for years and now when you go to buy one, they're priced like antiques instead of a normal disc. Does this seriously not bother people?

Supply and Demand.

You could buy any disc that you want. But given you want to use the same disc as you did 20 years ago, much like a lot of others, expect to pay for it.

I bought a disc last week for 3.99

It's still REALLY easy (sort of) to find the kind of old stuff that is actually widely available. IF YOU know where to look. But, if you want the great feeling plastic from the past in what is being made now. Lol. Go to a disc swap, and chat, and get them.

Guess I'm the odd one out...I still throw Lightning plastic that I've had for 30 years, some Old School Cyclones as well...still achieve more distance and accuracy than some of the Newer Brands...looking on-line for OOP Lightnings is a thrill in itself...I've paid up to $100 for some of the rarer ones to replace really worn-out discs, but worth every penny as they fly the way I want them to, as they were designed to do all those years ago...so, basically, whatever the person is willing to pay is what runs the Market for Old School Plastic, no matter the Brand or Age...

But if ya want cheap, used Plastic...go to Play it Again, or other used/new discs shops...or ya can go diving in the nearest water hazard and find some really nice treasurtes! I've done that quite a bit!

Whichever, but have fun doing it...that's the name of the Game!

They are all stock discs unless there's some crazy art done on them. That of coarse I would understand but that's not what I'm talking about. I saw an echo star katana online someone wanted $48.00 for. Or an echo star Boss for $63.00

Was it a legit store or some EBay or Markerplace goober? Echostar is usually a limited run but you could always check Innovas factory store I guarantee they aren't charging 40 dollars

The what people sell to PIAS pile at your local one will probably have both of those turn up as part of a seasonal dump, and they will be under 10$ each.
That's what those places are for.

Capitalism. The people with the most resources (frisbees and dollars to spend on them) control the market. That's the fundamental design of Capitalism. Note : reasonableness, sustainability, equity - these are not facets of capitalism by design, so if you want that to be different you've got a long road ahead campaigning to change our economic model.

If you want to propose another viable economic model for the planet I'm all ears. People in this country are generally super receptive to those kinds of discussions so it should be a lot of fun.