• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc description lingo

bobmcnelly

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Ok so I feel like I know most dg lingo, but I keep hearing pearly and jolly launcher. What exactly does each mean? Are they just certain runs and molds?

Jolly launcher seems to be mainly used to describe innova's current runs of brightly colored champion plastic molds

Though discraft's z plastic is quite similar and also has bright colors (I have a BRIGHT green buzzz for instance)

I'm still fairly fresh to disc golf so I'm not entirely sure what pearly might mean as a descriptor of a disc

Pearly refers to the swirls on the flight plate left from the injection mold process. Not sure if its air bubbles or metallic stuff or something else though.

Paintray98 is right on the Jolly Launcher. Only used to describe Innova's new Champion plastic.

Pearly, from what I gather, is used to describe a "pearlescent" sheen as well as swirls in the plastic. Mostly referred to older runs of Innova's discs but the term can be applied to any manufacturer. You'll know a pearly disc when you see one in person. It's pretty easy to tell. Lat 64's Gold Line has some of the most dramatic "pearly" qualities.

To be more clear about jolly launcher - innova is currently running 2 types of champion plastic, the reg stuff we all know and the new more transparent, glass like, more *grip* jolly launcher aka jl champion plastic

Jolly Launcher is Innova's current Champion plastic blend. It can be crystal clear and look like Jolly Rancher candies, or it can have streaks/cloudiness in the plastic.

I first saw Jolly Luancher stuff a little over a year ago - looked super translucent, unlike anything I'd seen from Innova before - almost like their answer to Cryztal.

Pretty sure pearlyness/cloudyness is caused by weighting agents they add to the plastic.

Jolly Launcher being crystal clear, and pearly tending to be opaque, they seem like they're kinda at the extremes from each other, but technically they aren't mutually exclusive. They can (and do) add weighting agents to their current Jolly Launcher plastic to create Jolly Launchers that are pearly. The random distribution of the peraly agent in the blend can create some neat looking discs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. That really clears some stuff up.

Latest posts