• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Gator Giveaway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the winter after my first season playing this wonderful game, I became intrigued by the thought of learning how to dye. At that time, I believed that Minnesotans did not play over the winter. I was clearly wrong on that point and have played throughout many winters. Thankfully it was only one season of adding dye to discs. There was a clear lack of talent on that front, however a few magical successes. One of those successes was a brilliant red Havoc that post dye had an awesome diamond pattern to it. Wish I had a picture...

The Valley Disc Golf Course in Inver Grove, MN is where the story picks up. There is a very nice pond that you throw over on the back nine. The Havoc described above went for a dip. Rest assured, I was going in after that one. Now it never occurred to me that the folks that are typically seen pulling discs out of that pond have hip or chest waders on. That should have caused me pause. Off come my shoes and socks. I rolled my pair pants up to mid thigh and went in. The smell took your breath away and the bottom had lots of sharp roots. I kept thinking that I am going to get cut and end up with a bacteria laden amputated foot. That did not stop me for about 35 minutes. It is at this point that I noticed my leg felt a bit weird. I pulled up one leg while holding part of a stick. My leg was almost entirely covered in small little leaches and other critters. I carefully navigated back to shore, sat down and picked animals off me for over 40 minutes.

Needless to say, I left with out that disc and never got it back. To this day, I carry an over water disc. If it goes in, I do not go after it. Call it a offering to the disc golf gods.

During the winter after my first season playing this wonderful game, I became intrigued by the thought of learning how to dye. At that time, I believed that Minnesotans did not play over the winter. I was clearly wrong on that point and have played throughout many winters. Thankfully it was only one season of adding dye to discs. There was a clear lack of talent on that front, however a few magical successes. One of those successes was a brilliant red Havoc that post dye had an awesome diamond pattern to it. Wish I had a picture...

The Valley Disc Golf Course in Inver Grove, MN is where the story picks up. There is a very nice pond that you throw over on the back nine. The Havoc described above went for a dip. Rest assured, I was going in after that one. Now it never occurred to me that the folks that are typically seen pulling discs out of that pond have hip or chest waders on. That should have caused me pause. Off come my shoes and socks. I rolled my pair pants up to mid thigh and went in. The smell took your breath away and the bottom had lots of sharp roots. I kept thinking that I am going to get cut and end up with a bacteria laden amputated foot. That did not stop me for about 35 minutes. It is at this point that I noticed my leg felt a bit weird. I pulled up one leg while holding part of a stick. My leg was almost entirely covered in small little leaches and other critters. I carefully navigated back to shore, sat down and picked animals off me for over 40 minutes.

Needless to say, I left with out that disc and never got it back. To this day, I carry an over water disc. If it goes in, I do not go after it. Call it a offering to the disc golf gods.

:sick::sick::sick:

No Vibram Left Behind

Four months into introducing my older brother (MrDarkHorse) to disc golf, we found ourselves at Brushy Creek MUD DGC, also known as "Cat Hollow" in Round Rock, TX (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1044).

Things were looking great as we practiced our putts on the 17th hole basket (the usual practice basket, nearest the parking lot). With our father, brother-in-law, and nephews in tow (all non-DGers that were willing to accompany us to see what DG was all about) we approached hole 1. A LHBH friendly hole started of with me placing a decent anhyzer (I throw RHBH) setting myself up for an easy par.

My older brother, the natural southpaw, went for a hyzer bomb that got away from him, landing on the fairway of hole 17, after clearing nearly 75' of trees and brush. "No biggie," we said, "he can throw a sweet tommy back over the trees and salvage a bogey."

Enter drama, stage left...

Pulling out his new, sandy, granite brown, match the same color as every rock, nook and cranny Vibram Ridge and heaved it over the top of the trees with a crowd of onlookers looking to spot where the dirt colored disc would land. Yet it did not come.

"Obviously it must have hit a tree and fallen to the ground," we thought. Twenty-five minutes later the five of us still looked, continuing to chant the mantra, "No Vibram left behind."

With the sun setting, like a beacon of light descending from the heavens, our father spotted the Ridge through the trees, nestled in the canopy of the tallest limbs.

That is when the rocks began to fly... Yet our stones did not fly true, and our efforts were in vain. "No Vibram left behind," I repeated to my brother who was willing to leave the Ridge as a sacrifice to the disc golf gods.

Ascending the tree was no easy task as I suffer from a condition of being vertically challenged. A boost here, and a helping hand there from those in our traveling party allowed me to reach the lowest set of branches. Sixty feet later I approached the limb that had ensnared the unsuspecting Ridge, carefully maneuvering to retrieve it.

Disc in hand, we descended from the heavens together, reuniting disc and golfer to smiles, cheers, thanks, and promises of root beer. But the story of the Ridge does not end there, for that night it would be traded to me, never to be lost again... after we finished the round of course.

Below is a picture of the shenanigans
No%20Vibram%20Left%20Behind.jpg

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do! I'll go through all of these and post the winners as soon as I decide. Thanks to everyone that shared their stories and entered, very cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.