• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Art

tuaB6wG.jpg

Back when one of our club members (and a former contributor here) started doing the artwork for our tournaments, he did this watercolor from some photos he took out at one of the local courses. This one was special to me because the photo was me putting on hole 16 at N.A.D. Park. I had it nicely framed and it's hanging in our dining room. He's done many of our posters since then (they're not watercolors like this) and they're really popular for people to collect. Sorry the pic is so big.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20C1D6B7-F335-489F-9A78-D37DA2054AE2.jpg
    20C1D6B7-F335-489F-9A78-D37DA2054AE2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 387
I thought for a quick second that this was a clever screenshot/photoshop thing. And then I realized what I was actually looking at. That's absolutely incredible!!!

Haha thanks, that made my day!

The 100 Day Project: each day for 100 days I am creating a spontaneous watercolor and ink sketch of one hole on an imaginary disc golf course. I start by choosing two or three colors and let the watercolor spread on the paper, then make adjustments if desired. Then I add an ink drawing to fill out the sketch. These are the first ten sketches. Every day I post them on Instagram @artbymikeas if anyone wishes to follow along, make suggestions, give feedback, etc.

picture.php

Nice thread!

I've always thought that John Notebloom creates the most badass disc golf art. I know that there are many disc golfers who are also great artists.

I'll throw this dude right in the middle of the mix: Noel Smith, from Gainesville. He's only been "arting" for like a year or something and is crushing it. He also has legit top-pro power FH and BH.

https://www.facebook.com/search/photos/?q=noel%20smith%20photos&sde=AbpQGvDuVOCY8HIJuctupvvdAQH1PRL615lrutaRFXe_fllXYVqEub0xiPBfCKRxHW-tF_OFWD-rRuHRKv6Nb5yBjkaxoFHRX5z2wzT9yp_ajg

176845108_10158186932216167_3935710816175822690_n.jpg

Nice thread!

I've always thought that John Notebloom creates the most badass disc golf art. I know that there are many disc golfers who are also great artists.

I'll throw this dude right in the middle of the mix: Noel Smith, from Gainesville. He's only been "arting" for like a year or something and is crushing it. He also has legit top-pro power FH and BH.

https://www.facebook.com/search/photos/?q=noel%20smith%20photos&sde=AbpQGvDuVOCY8HIJuctupvvdAQH1PRL615lrutaRFXe_fllXYVqEub0xiPBfCKRxHW-tF_OFWD-rRuHRKv6Nb5yBjkaxoFHRX5z2wzT9yp_ajg

176845108_10158186932216167_3935710816175822690_n.jpg

Noel does great work. Though I haven't met him personally, I do work closely with him - we do an artist trade collaboration (I sell his pieces as a vendor, he sells mine). I also make blank minis (and full size discs) that he paints on.

One of the few artists that I collaborate with as a vendor, which is great in theory, but all of us are so damn busy that we can barely keep ourselves in stock. tis a crazy time to be involved in this sport.

Lately I have been getting into the free art practice. Once a week I pick a few pieces of art, usually small sketches or studies, and leave them in places for people to find with a note explaining that it is free to take or give or leave for someone else to find. I like to make sure at least one of them is disc golf related, and usually I leave those at the kiosk of a course. About half of the finders have reached out to say how finding the art made their day. Feels good to be spreading some happiness, especially when there is so much going on in the world.

There are a decent number of courses within my driving/travel range, but eventually I would like to put some free art out there at courses I haven't visited yet. Still sorting out ways to make that happen. Reach out to people online? Ask local pros to bring some on their travels?

Also if anyone else does this it would be cool to hear about. Doesn't have to be a painting. Could be a sharpie drawing or a dye job on a disc left for someone to find.

These are the kinds of watercolor sketches I have been leaving at courses:

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20220325_105941968.jpg
    IMG_20220325_105941968.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20220311_080245418.jpg
    IMG_20220311_080245418.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20220311_080258291.jpg
    IMG_20220311_080258291.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 171
There was a nine hole course that I visited last year, brought a sketchbook and some discs to play a round. The idea was to do some sketches and take some notes on what it was like to play a round there. The course closed down, baskets were pulled.

The other day I revisited my sketchbook that has these sketches. I had the idea to make a sort of caddy book, but in the form of a zine that was hastily thrown together:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cc1OoDGvH8k/

Latest posts