• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Disc Golf As Exercise" thread, with actual data

I played 96 holes in one day a few weeks ago and it was 16 miles. A couple of the courses I played were shortish though even though I played them all from the longs.

5 courses and -38 is a good Saturday for me though!

Here's a comparison of my heart rate while playing Steady Ed at the IDGC versus my resting rate while working at the computer for the same time period. No steps or calorie count at the time.

Attachments

• Kennedy Heart Rate Steady Ed Feb 2007 700.jpg
    Kennedy Heart Rate Steady Ed Feb 2007 700.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 48
Might be a side note but I have always heard that the BEST exercise is the one that you KEEP doing. Lots of people (myself included) can get into a habit of working out and it last 3-4-5 weeks then its down to 2 times a week then once a week then back to where you were. If disc golf keeps you going, then carry on. Just try to balance your food intake to help the process.

For the record, a year and a half ago I was a three-Dew-a-day Mountain Dew addict that ate horribly. My Dew addiction was as bad as any crack addict you will see. 20oz Dew on the eway to work, another at lunch, another around 3 and then maybe one that night. I was almost 300 lbs at 5' 10". I have since lost over 50 lbs through mostly diet but decent exercise as well (I guess we can all do more). A few weeks ago I went back for my third six month checkup and my doctor told me that I could quit all of my meds (I was only on Metformin) for a six month trial since my numbers were so good. I still need to lose another 50 lbs (IMO) to get where I want to be but I'll get there. I didn't get this bad in a year, I won't fix it in a year.

Here's a comparison of my heart rate while playing Steady Ed at the IDGC versus my resting rate while working at the computer for the same time period. No steps or calorie count at the time.

That baseline chart seems to be showing signs of tachycardia. Do you suffer from any heart arrhythmias? I do, and noticed similarities in your chart.

I'd love to see the same analysis on my 2 home courses. They both kick my ass even when I'm well conditioned as both are around 2x bigger then the one you listed and hilly as hell.

here's one, the other sadly has taken the course out as it has new management :(
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2737

Im sure I burn over 1000 calories during a full round and its usually like 2+ hours to play for just 2 people and end up being 3+ with 3 or more people. During winter I do cardio on a bike but with these courses I just hit the course and play a half round alone for a quick cardio workout. I'd laugh at anyone that thinks discgolf can't be a real workout.

Side note: I got an obese friend of mine into discgolf this year and we went like 3x a week at the one I listed and the first couple of times he couldnt play the next hole after an uphill hole. Now he dropped more then 50 lbs mainly just from golf. He doesnt take care of himself and this was just me trying to get him healthy so he can watch his kid grow up.

So to recap this, my buddy lost something like 80 lbs in total after once season from what I understand. Dude was a whole new guy for a lil bit and the chicks definintely noticed. He blew back up but it was sick seeing him lose that weight so damn quick.

On a side note, I been dropping weight quick over the last month with discgolf being my main workout. I don't weight myself, I just sit there and admire my pretty body in the mirror and I"m starting to get cut again after getting a belly over the winter. It probably helps I been training my left hand for BH so when I'm playing I'm throwing 2X more then normal cuz of distance and chucking more discs just for experience so more throwing and walking for disc. Love this game!

For me. Disc golf is counter productive exercise. It takes just enough time and physical effort out if me that I don't feel like going to the gym or going for an actual run. It doesn't keep me thin or help me out in conditioning in any way.
It's probably a good after workout or post run activity. I've noticed that when all I do is disc golf I don't make the gym or get any beneficial exercise and I actually gain weight or become soft.
I also eat like a pig so my exercise needs are probably moreso than most

My opinion disc golf isn't really great exercise. Just take a look at the people who play the sport on your home course for proof of that lol

Ya this seems off the mark at least in my experience, most people I see playing discgolf are in sick shape next to the normal American. I don't see to many fatties out there, if I do it's cuz I brought them along lol.

Eating like a pig then saying any form of exercise is counter productive doesn't add up. If you're really looking to drop weight or get in better shape overall, most of your work comes from the kitchen.

I would advise anyone trying to lose weight through disc golf to pop a caffeine pill or drink a cup of black coffee before your round (to boost your heart rate and fat burning ability). I would also advise to play on the courses near you with the most elevation, since walking the hills while carrying your bag will be where your heart rate is the highest.

This is an interesting topic to me as I've been incoporating certain exogenous and endogenous drugs into my workout routines. Love coffee just cuz of certain things it's helps heath wise like anti oxidants and let's face it coffee is awesome and helps you with energy. Another one is cannabis, lot's of fighters and other pro athletes are getting more and more into cannibis for lots of reasons while working out and I've incorporated this into workout regimes. I find that with indica's it's like adding resistance to any workout as they make me tired and make it so I have to fight gravity more as I seem to get tired on them, sativas apparently give you energy but are hard to find in black market areas as they are harder to grow. It makes it so my workouts feel more intense whether discgolfing, hiking, lifting weights, yoga and I have to really push more for the same results. Another is doing Wim Hof breathing/cold exposure therapy to get the endogenous drugs going, which is a new form of yogic style breathing which has been put thru rounds of scientific testing. The breathing exercises have been shown to up you O2 levels, down you CO2 levels as well as up you either nor-epinephrine or epinephrine (adrenalines) I can't remember witch but results in getting a burst of energy when I'm dragging ass and is a way of focusing better just like a meditation.

Lastly when I get home I take a cold shower as the breathing and cold exposure are 2 sides of a coin where 1 releases epinephrine and the other nor epinephrine into the body giving a you a natural high and just better mood in general and more energy. Apparently heat and cold exposure therapy as well as Wim Hof breathing just have endless upsides to health and physical results. It's very interesting tiring yourself up and then boosting you energy level and feels amazing afterwards.

its terrible exercise

just enough to make u not want to do actual cardio or weight training

disc golf has made me fat n wimpy

I'm guessing people who say this go to small courses with no elevation whatsoever. Find a huge place with lots of elavation changes. It's like hiking and dg in one. I couldn't even play at the easy places around me, to small and boring. I need to feel like I just wandered around the desert after 18 holes or I'm not happy.

Eating like a pig then saying any form of exercise is counter productive doesn't add up. If you're really looking to drop weight or get in better shape overall, most of your work comes from the kitchen.

I disagree, if you want a cut body, high endurance and strength as well as higher performance it's a balance act. 50/50, you can't just sit around on the couch and expect a sick ass beach body by just eating well. Training is what's needed, training in how you eat like fasting and proper diet, training in how you breath like yoga, meditation, Wim hof, training in working your body, I even train my brain/emotions as well with exercises and studies. To bring about a better human, diet aint getting you to your max potential alone. These are highly biological tunable machines we role around in, To just focus on diet is like working on a car and only dealing with it's fluids and not working on the rest of the machine.

Last edited:
You can disagree, just like I disagree that pot is a good pre workout...and that you "get tired by smoking pot to push yourself further." Dieting is 80% of anything, at least. We're not talking IFBB body...or even a "beach body", we're talking decent shape, aside from 2% people here, that's really all you're gonna get from disc golf. You can try all the Chinese gimmicks you want, I'll stick to my training and diet and continue having success on the scale and on the platform.

I'm not some bro science hombre, I use scientific methods and training for my clients, and I'm an NSCA trainer and nutritionist, just for reference.

I'm guessing people who say this go to small courses with no elevation whatsoever. Find a huge place with lots of elavation changes. It's like hiking and dg in one. I couldn't even play at the easy places around me, to small and boring. I need to feel like I just wandered around the desert after 18 holes or I'm not happy.

Yeah, if you want DG to be exercise, go play Justin Trails Big Brother with a huge backpack bag.

And don't get me wrong, I came off like a pompous dick on that post, I just get tired of people buying in to the garbage out there. High times has an article saying pot is great for working out, when in fact they also have articles saying it'll help you lose weight, and it cures cancer...with no scientific backing. People want pot to be the cure all because they're pushing for it to be legalized across the nation. If you look back, cigarettes also did all those wonderful things and dildos cured a woman's insanity. I'm not anti pot, but stop trying to make something it isn't. If you want to lose weight, yeah it starts in the kitchen. Knowing your macro nutrient break down is huge in terms of getting results. If you look at some of Lyle McDonald's work you can see a ton of research and data has been compiled in to losing weight for those who are obese, and even those who are sub 12% body fat, which if I had to guess not many people here have decent composition with 12% bodyfat, if any at all.

I'm gonna put my ass hat back on, and say for the record, I have a hard time believing anyone trying to give life and nutritional/exercise advice when they can't differentiate witch and which. Just a pet peeve, if you want to be taken seriously and all.

LOL at chinese gimmicks dog, go study the science of EVERYTHING I JUST MENTIONED. If you are a science geek like me go do that, just skim over it get back at me bro. I guarantee with these training methods, you will up your clients game and your training game to the next level. LOL at the grammar nittery, to many English teachers giving you bad marks? lol

AS far as weed, you I'm listening to pro athelets and other dudes who train for a living about how good it is in their workouts and endless other science stuff. Time to broaden your scientific background buddy, I'm a geek, I consume this stuff like a fat kid eating cake! When your GF tells you all you constantly talk about the brain or something new the science found out about this or that.... you know you have a problem lol. :D

My brother is a nutritionist at John Hopkins, Ima see what his take is on this although his knowledge might be more medically based and not performace/training based I'm not sure.

Last edited:
LOL at chinese gimmicks dog, go study the science of EVERYTHING I JUST MENTIONED. If you are a science geek like me go do that, just skim over it get back at me bro. I guarantee with these training methods, you will up your clients game and your training game to the next level. LOL at the grammar nittery, too many English teachers giving you bad marks? lol

I fixed that for you, and no it was actually my father who taught me to be taken seriously and take pride in my work, as it's a reflection upon who you are.

I've been toying with one of those apps that uses GPS to count your steps, time, how fast you go per mile, and calories burned. I compared a walk around my neighborhood with nine holes of disc golf. The walk was 2 1/2 minutes shorter, 0.2 miles longer, and supposedly burned 13 more calories. In both cases, there was minimal elevation involved.

So it might be safe to say that disc golf might be eqivalant exercise to a good walk (provided you're playing solo and not eating along the way), but it's no substitute for running.

And I can't decipher what your edited part of the 2nd paragraph is supposed to mean. Try less wake and bake if you're going to try to debate scientific studies and exercise methods.

Is your brother Matt Wilkins in Maryland? If it is, tell him I said hello. We've helped each other immensely other the years.

BTW Mark996, you got any good recommendations on books for books or informational websites about nutrition? I'm more into training and neurosciences and am definitely lacking in my nutritional knowledge and been meaning to up my game. Next to a normal person I know some but next to people like u and my bro I'm am definitely lacking a lot and would like to know more for performance and for health. I been thinking it needs to be the next area I study up on. thanks in advance man!

edit: nah different guy, not matt