• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Hijinks at the Airport

rdwyer

So I'm sitting in the Phoenix airport right now waiting for my flight home to Minnesota (I go to college in AZ, so I get great disc golf all year round!), and I just got cleared through security.

I saw something like this in a thread before, but wow, can security be a pain when you've got discs in your bag. They first asked me what "the metal plates in my backpack" were, and then when I told them they were "just frisbees" (said "frisbee" because it's more generally accepted and easier to understand), they took them all out of my backpack and inspected them one by one :wall:

Just crazy. Gotta love airport security these days

I've been surprised that I haven't received more questions about carrying discs. They'll usually check the x-ray twice as long but I've only been asked about them once.

So I'm sitting in the Phoenix airport right now waiting for my flight home to Minnesota (I go to college in AZ, so I get great disc golf all year round!), and I just got cleared through security.

I saw something like this in a thread before, but wow, can security be a pain when you've got discs in your bag. They first asked me what "the metal plates in my backpack" were, and then when I told them they were "just frisbees" (said "frisbee" because it's more generally accepted and easier to understand), they took them all out of my backpack and inspected them one by one :wall:

Just crazy. Gotta love airport security these days

You should have just said...
"Sir I just have a TEE-REX in there will some HORNETS and WASPS and a GATOR...but don't worry I don't have any KATANA'S in there and I left my NUKE at home."

Yeah...I think that would be a great conversation to have with the TSA

I went through security in California's John Wayne airport once during a day of "heightened security."

They did like a triple take when I put my disc bag through the detector. The guy grabbed my bag, ripped it open, pulled out an Aviar and was like, "Frisbees?!?!?!?!" and stuffed it back in with a disgusted look. They waved me through no other problems. :D

Now, if he had pulled out a Nuke, might be a different story. :\ :)

I once forgot a pair of $25 hand held gardening clippers in my bag. I had to throw it out.

Hahaha i know how that feels, I had to throw out a few cans of butane for my cigar lighter once, completely forgot that I had them in there. I made sure to put all that stuff in my checked bag this time

i don't think they even looked twice when i went to houston last month.

@rdwyer that's kinda troubling that the scanner picked up the discs as metal- means the settings weren't correct or the operator was interpreting the image wrong.

I flew into Phoenix in February from Philly, brought a small bag in my carry on (about 8 discs). I had no issues flying out of either Philly or Phoenix, not one question was even asked, I was actually more worried how I would explain the golden retriever that was in my bag. Yes sir its a small metal tool with a 50 foot line to grab discs out of the water....

Last trip to NC they swabbed the discs to check for 'some' type of chemical. No biggie. Will be taking them to Texas in a few weeks. Love traveling with them...

On a scale of dangerous things on a plane: Fingernail Clippers=1 and BoxCutters=10, where do discs fall?

Last edited:
I flew into Phoenix in February from Philly, brought a small bag in my carry on (about 8 discs). I had no issues flying out of either Philly or Phoenix, not one question was even asked, I was actually more worried how I would explain the golden retriever that was in my bag. Yes sir its a small metal tool with a 50 foot line to grab discs out of the water....

Same with me (replace February with March and drop the whole Golden Retriever thing). No problems from PHL to PHX or back. We'll see how things go in June when I fly between ABE and MCO.

I've told this tale before but I'm bored and have nothing better to do ...

Traveling on business, always carry a couple of discs "just in case" ... this time I had a Bomb in my carry-on. Had a lay-over someplace and got to talking with one of the TSA guys. Turns out he's a DGer, so we got chummy. After a while I said, "You know, I probably sholdn't say anything but I've got a Bomb in my bag."

Took it out and showed him, at which point he said, "Don't EVER do that again."

Sheesh. Some people :D

I was going to the family court house to file some paperwork, and there's a 9-hole course right behind it, so I threw a few discs in my backpack. The guy at the scanner asked me what the metal discs were in my bag, so I pulled them out and showed him, and he looked at them and said, "No, I want to see the METAL ones. Look." and he showed me the screen.

I told him that what he was seeing was the thick rim on my driver (it was a nuke), but he just wasn't buying it. I ended up having to pull my paperwork out of my backpack, and leave it there with security until I was done.

What a pain ..

I've only flown with disc once and didn't have them in my carry on. When I got to WY I did notice that my stuff had been rummaged threw lol...

Another note on airport security my dad always carries a little "Old Timer" pocket knife with him. Many times he has gotten past security and realized it was in still in his carry on. One time he realized he still had it before hand and hid it in a bush just in case they tried to take it. Came back a few days later and retrieved it from said bush :D.

Same with me (replace February with March and drop the whole Golden Retriever thing). No problems from PHL to PHX or back. We'll see how things go in June when I fly between ABE and MCO.

I read all your reviews after you posted them, pretty much had played all of the same courses as you. Different world than back east though, So much more open then the courses I'm used to playing around here.

wow, just imagine all the disc hijinks at the phenix airport. i suppose they do look a little like potential weapons, maybe not a bag of magnets. but bosses, yeah.

^ Hermit.

Personally, I've never flown with my bag... Yet.

I can't wait to, however. I'm excited to use my bag as my carry-on, and strut through the airport showin' off my shizzle! If even one person acknowledges what it is, it will have made my trip!!

You should have just said...
"Sir I just have a TEE-REX in there will some HORNETS and WASPS and a GATOR...but don't worry I don't have any KATANA'S in there and I left my NUKE at home."

Yeah...I think that would be a great conversation to have with the TSA

Thanks for making me laugh.

Latest posts