• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Unchained

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiffty

So... I've been building a disc golf video game. A real disc golf video game. I figure it's time to announce its existence to the public and I can't think of a better audience than the DGCR community. Your feedback will be much appreciated and I'm sure that you'll have many questions that I may or may not have an answer to at this time. There is still a LOT of work to be done and I apologize in advance if I don't respond to specific questions in a timely manner... I'll do my best.

Aside from some help with the physics math from a good friend I've been the sole designer and developer of this game in my free time (read: not my day job). I don't even have a website or social media page set up yet since I'd rather just be working on the game. There will be plenty of time to discuss the how and the why though so I'll just get to the good stuff.

I'm very very excited to announce... slated for initial release on Android with iOS coming soon after... Disc Golf Unchained.

Design objectives coming in a subsequent post...

Key objectives for the first phase of Unchained:

Realistic Flight Physics
It had to be the primary objective. There was no other option. I won't go into too much detail here (that's fodder for another post/thread) but my goal for the flight engine was to be able to produce a believable flight from any disc the player desires to throw. Many variables are currently taken into account (weight, hss, lss, distance (speed/glide), mold type, plastic type, condition, wind) and I already have designs on paper for the next version.

Discs!
Many. That's all I'm going to say.

A Dynamic Terrain (Course) Engine
The terrain engine of Unchained has been built not only to allow for a variety of environments but, technically speaking, using a design with a small footprint both in-game and on the device itself. I have even prototyped an admittedly rudimentary in-game course editor and although I'm not sure if it will make it into the initial release I can honestly say that the possiblities (especially for you DGCR folks) could be endless.

Player Progression
Unchained currently has a simple leveling system with a few core player properties to upgrade as you play (power, accuracy, putting, etc). Honestly I don't know yet if further enhancements are needed in this area.

All of these objectives have been implemented at least in a prototype capacity (and run smoooooth on my Galaxy S3) and I would say, with all humility thrown out the window, that I'm more than excited with the results.

Pics or it didn't happen...

Here we go... screenshots are from the Unity3d editor on my PC.

In-game aiming (zoomed) state on a mountain themed course:

Disc selection state (notice the real-time flight paths):

I already know you're going to ask for video so I'll start playing around with some screen capture software.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, good or bad. This game may be like a child to me but I think [hope] I have thick enough skin to handle the DGCR mob...

:popcorn:

Looks great! Let me know if you need a beta tester!

Is there a lhbh throw as well?

Yes, handedness is currently a player setting that is chosen when starting a new game. I've contemplated allowing the player to switch at any time with some debuffs and maybe offer some sort of Ambidextrous skill that could be leveled.

Currently backhand and sidearm are available as throw types but I plan to have overhand throws as well in the first release.

Thanks everyone... off to do some research at Saturday AM Leagues!

Looks cool, I have a Galaxy Nexus I could help you with testing for a free premium license lol The Fission OS and SS are great but you might check the flight path on the SS, it doesn't match with the -4 HSS. Looks to be as stable as the OS.

Dude, THIS IS SICK! I can finally get my disc golf fix when I can't make the course that day. I cannot wait for this release. When you said iOS I didn't believe it when I saw the screen shots. Those graphics look like they belong on a console. Excellent work!

The Fission OS and SS are great but you might check the flight path on the SS, it doesn't match with the -4 HSS. Looks to be as stable as the OS.

Yeah, I'm always tweaking the flight... right now any fast disc for an unleveled player is a meathook.

Yeah, I'm always tweaking the flight... right now any fast disc for an unleveled player is a meathook.

Thats pretty much how it is in real life :D

The game looks amazing, cant wait to try it out. Do you have an estimated release?

Status
Not open for further replies.