• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfers Find Something Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
From now on if I shoot a "hot round" and am about to tell my buddies " Man, I was on Fire that round!" I will be thinking twice.

I must be missing something. How in the heck can you take a propane torch and set yourself on fire? You would need an accelerant of some sort. Now if there had been a gas can around where he doused himself with prior to setting himself on fire then Suicide sounds correct. This all sounds wrong.

Yep, agreed. Otherwise someone would have heard the screaming. This guy had to have been killed elsewhere and dumped just off the trail and set ablaze.

There's always the possibility of spontaneous combustion. Dude was just walking along carrying his torch while talking on his cell phone and poof

I must be missing something. How in the heck can you take a propane torch and set yourself on fire? You would need an accelerant of some sort. Now if there had been a gas can around where he doused himself with prior to setting himself on fire then Suicide sounds correct. This all sounds wrong.

Maybe he thought ahead and soaked his clothes in gasoline before leaving? Not like he'd care that his car would forever reek of gasoline...

This whole story is bizarre - just really strange if it is a suicide. Why use fire? Why do it at a disc golf course? Why in the woods? Why during the day?

I'm guessing the guy was doing dabs and set his torch down without turning it off, started a fire that he tried to put out, but accidentally caught on fire in the process.

Several years ago there was a case of a local teacher who committed suicide at Grandview Park (it has a disc golf course) here that also involved the person being set on fire. I don't remember much of the details, but Grandview isn't exactly out in the woods and it's a pretty jarring thing to think about.

I don't think its possible to immolate yourself with a handheld blowtorch. It would take 1/2 hour to an hour to burn yourself well [done] at all, and it would involve a level of pain that I'm sure none of us could face.

it happens. in a former line of work I was unlucky enough to see the results. I'm sure an accelerant was involved.

I don't think immolation is possible WITHOUT an accelerant.

BTW, burning to death has got to be one of my top 5 methods NOT to die.

Yep, agreed. Otherwise someone would have heard the screaming. This guy had to have been killed elsewhere and dumped just off the trail and set ablaze.

This makes sense. The players didn't mention they heard any screaming, only walked up on the body that was already on fire. How do you set yourself on fire and not be screaming?

There's always the possibility of spontaneous combustion. Dude was just walking along carrying his torch while talking on his cell phone and poof

I remember David and Nigel discussing this.

Attachments

• spinal tap.jpg
    spinal tap.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 27
fFKTusX.jpg

Sounds like it is straight out of an episode of Bones...

fFKTusX.jpg

Sounds like it is straight out of an episode of Bones...
Huge Bones fan here..... totally thought he same thing. Even sent the link to my wife.

I'm wondering if this was an accident of sorts............. Meth head goes out to the woods to smoke, gets too high and OD's with the torch left on. Sets themselves and the nearby woods on fire.

Last edited:
In the books the show is based on, Bones actually works in North Carolina, not for the Smithsonian in Washington, DC.

Huge Bones fan here..... totally thought he same thing. Even sent the link to my wife.

I'm wondering if this was an accident of sorts............. Meth head goes out to the woods to smoke, gets too high and OD's with the torch left on. Sets themselves and the nearby woods on fire.

Huge Bones fan as well...

As for the meth head thing, was probably so high off his mind, didn't even know what was happening.

With such a deliberate action, you would think investigators might find a suicide note or indications this was clearly planned by the deceased.

With such a deliberate action, you would think investigators might find a suicide note or indications this was clearly planned by the deceased.

Someone who commits suicide and would NOT want people to know who it is or make a big deal out of it would not leave a suicide note. If you light yourself on fire in the middle of the woods, that is a little different. From that, it sounds more like an accident/murder rather than suicide.

Either way, it's really sad. I honestly thought about going out and playing at that same course that very morning. I don't know what I'd have done had I been the one to find that.

Status
Not open for further replies.