• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc retrieval tool

360guy

The course I play has a small pond on it. This summer I threw two discs into the pond and lost them. I was trying to figure out a way to fish them out and I found this:

MVP Disc Golf Hive Disc Claw Water Retrieval Tool

It was $20 on EBay and the add said that if you retrieve two discs it pays for it self. I was a little skeptical but there was a youtube video that made it look like it really worked so I took a chance on it. So far I have gotten both of my two discs back plus three others. If you play a course with water hazards....I would recommend this.

yah bud i got the golden retriever and ive had it for about 5-10 years and pulled at least 100 discs out with it

easily made my money back on it by most importantly saving my discs but if im feeling generous sometimes i let my friends borrow it and saved their chump asses too

i didnt charge them but maybe i should start

I prefer pole type retrievers most of the time, because they're quicker to use, and usable in a wider variety of situations.

But I also carry a Golden Retriever because it reaches discs in the water at distances many poles can't. It's light and stows neatly and easily in my bag.

Recently had to use it to retrieve a disc I couldn't reach with my pole. Would have been forced to leave that disc behind if not for my GR.

Outdated though it may be, it still serves a purpose in my bag.

Last edited:
I prefer a pole retriever because I can extend it, turn it upside down, and use the handle to knock a disc out of a tree. Doesn't matter if the retriever end is a 'cage' or a 'claw', using the handle means the retriever end doesn't get caught on a branch.

I, too, prefer the pole type retriever, however, as Bogey stated, sometimes a disc is just beyond the reach of a pole. Like on thin ice, for example, that is going to be a reality all too soon given how much snow is coming down in my 'hood today.

Agree with all the + and - listed so far.

I have the stick attached to my cart, and carry the Retriever when I'm just backpacking it.

The one advantage to the Retriever is the lack of maintenance. I keep it in a plastic bag and leave it to dry out after using it during a round. I learned the hard way that sticks will seize up on you if they're not COMPLETELY dry after use. I've learned to leave mine extended in the garage with the end cap off the handle. Even then. it takes a few warm days to get all the water out in the joints.

Agree with all the + and - listed so far.

I have the stick attached to my cart, and carry the Retriever when I'm just backpacking it.

The one advantage to the Retriever is the lack of maintenance. I keep it in a plastic bag and leave it to dry out after using it during a round. I learned the hard way that sticks will seize up on you if they're not COMPLETELY dry after use. I've learned to leave mine extended in the garage with the end cap off the handle. Even then. it takes a few warm days to get all the water out in the joints.

One solution....take the end cap off, drill a hole through the very end of it (let's water drain out), extend the pole, spray WD-40 down the inside of pole, and open/close it a few times to get the WD-40 throughout the pole. I haven't had any issues with the pole segments sticking or rusting since doing that.

I prefer a pole retriever because I can extend it, turn it upside down, and use the handle to knock a disc out of a tree. Doesn't matter if the retriever end is a 'cage' or a 'claw', using the handle means the retriever end doesn't get caught on a branch.

This is useful advice. Imagine how foolish we'd feel if our disc AND retriever got stuck in the same tree!

Ok, so a buddy got an end for his retriever that is a ball with suction cups all over it. I figured 'no way that thing works.' And I am so wrong. He touches a disc underwater in the creek and it sticks 1st try every try and pulls it up without even falling off the suction cup! I don't think a pet octopus could work much better.

He's had that sucker at least a month and still works perfectly.

Ok, so a buddy got an end for his retriever that is a ball with suction cups all over it. I figured 'no way that thing works.' And I am so wrong. He touches a disc underwater in the creek and it sticks 1st try every try and pulls it up without even falling off the suction cup! I don't think a pet octopus could work much better.

Only issue with that is that you really have to be able to see the disc in the water. You probably could just keep 'slamming' it into the water in different spots to see if you connect with a disc, but when you can't see the disc a 'cage' type of retriever would work the best for just dragging and hoping.

Only issue with that is that you really have to be able to see the disc in the water. You probably could just keep 'slamming' it into the water in different spots to see if you connect with a disc, but when you can't see the disc a 'cage' type of retriever would work the best for just dragging and hoping.

Yes, this is true. My comment was probably out of context to the thread… just a sidebar comment :thmbup:

I would not have expected that to work.

what suction cup size

OTHER THAN A LARGE POND RAKE....

You pretty much need to see the disc for any retriever to be reasonably successful.

I'm not saying you can't recover a disc by randomly throwing a retriever into a pond, or randomly reaching out with a claw/holding attachment on a pole, but....

If you don't have a visual on your disc, good luck getting it back. :|

Latest posts