• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft/Disney Star Wars franchise partnership.

Maybe they will put in a DG course at Disney World. Have it loop through the jungle cruise ride.... Of course they have an entire sports park... so maybe that will be it. I should be going to disney next year i wonder if i should take my bag.

There are a dozen courses in the greater Orlando area already, some not that far away from the parks at all. Unless you have no intention of leaving Disney property during your stay, bring your bag anyway.

Bwahaha, ok then. But thanks for the insights on Disney licensing. Question: do you think if you were actually a meaningful business that it would be so easy to negotiate a deal in your favor? Not a loaded question, honestly curious. In my experience the bigger the stakes the tighter the cheeks.

It's not really about the business but the product.

If you're trying to sell star Wars action figures you're going to be paying a helluva lot for the honour.

If you're trying to sell a niche item with little (comparative) competition and have shown yourself to be a respectable business in your own market it would be a heck of a lot cheaper. At Disney's end it's just passive income. They send out a licensing agreement the size of an encyclopedia by email. They arrange an audit of your factory and supply chain (which you pay for) and they then receive a nice royalty check for doing absolutely nothing. They'll probably have demanded a letter of credit as well so you'll pay even if you go bust.

If the product is successful they make more, if it doesn't work they still make their Minimum guarantee payment and move on when the contracts up. It's not in their interests to stop people wanting to license as many different things as possible with them.

That is as long as the company involved won't harm their brand image at all. That honestly would be my biggest fear for Discraft. Somewhere deep in that encylopedia sized licensing agreement ( I had to read it before we signed, oh good god.) is a clause allowing them to demand products are taken off sale immediately if the Disney brand is in anyway tarnished. When the social media images of people using the star wars branded discs to roll up on start appearing, will the Disney corp view that positively....

Maybe they will put in a DG course at Disney World. Have it loop through the jungle cruise ride.... Of course they have an entire sports park... so maybe that will be it. I should be going to disney next year i wonder if i should take my bag.

It's not so crazy a thought, I am talking to a couple of theme parks over here about courses, not sure what sort of land Disneyworld have on offer but if they have it it's a cheap extra offering for people in the park, Disney themed tiki style could be really cool.

Yikes, this is a bad sign for disc golf. Disney demands top dollar for rights, so if Discraft is able to afford them it means that Disney took a long look at disc golf and figured out that it will never reach higher exposure and lowered the price. Unless Discraft actually did pay top dollar in which case they made a terrible investment.

...as throwbot mentioned a page back, DD has already done this with Marvel...which is owned by Disney.

giphy.gif

"These are not the discs you are looking for." :D

Disappointed with the amount of negativity here. This is a great opportunity for Disc Golf to reach a new audience. It's not so much about the quality of the discs in this line, as it is to connect with a younger generation of potential DG prodigies.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I was hooked by a video game. It's not so different.
Whether this line is profitable or has any longevity remains a question, but if it drafts new generations of disc golfers, that is infinitely more valuable to the sport.

And the man himself slides into the thread to leave a cheeky Like on Sonics post#60. What does it all mean? Is McBeth designing a course at Disney World? You heard the totally made up rumour here first folks!

No joke...

And the man himself slides into the thread to leave a cheeky Like on Sonics post#60. What does it all mean? Is McBeth designing a course at Disney World? You heard the totally made up rumour here first folks!

Camp Wilderness is a campground at disney, a disc golf course there would make total sense.

There are a dozen courses in the greater Orlando area already, some not that far away from the parks at all. Unless you have no intention of leaving Disney property during your stay, bring your bag anyway.

Unfortunately yes, i probably will stay on the property the entire time, except for a jaunt to either Daytona, Coco, or Clearwater. Problem with a DG course on disney, unless it is super well maintained i would be cautious about walking through a wooded course, you know with aligators and stuff.

A little dated
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-alligator-disney/disney-worlds-ongoing-battle-against-nuisance-alligators-idUSKCN0Z91IY

Unfortunately yes, i probably will stay on the property the entire time, except for a jaunt to either Daytona, Coco, or Clearwater. Problem with a DG course on disney, unless it is super well maintained i would be cautious about walking through a wooded course, you know with aligators and stuff.

A little dated
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-alligator-disney/disney-worlds-ongoing-battle-against-nuisance-alligators-idUSKCN0Z91IY

Could be more than gators if the course runs through the Animal Kingdom park.

Overall, this is cool. It seems a little rushed IMO.

Would have been nice to see some regular hot-stamps thrown in there, discs much more likely to get thrown. A disc sold to hang on the wall only, to me, is slightly missing the point.

C'mon people let's get some constructive feedback here. I bet 'they' are paying attention.

The Force is easy - you put a Jedi on there, maybe a series of hot-stamps. Luke, Yoda, Ben, Rey, etc.

Han obviously needs a disc. He always shoots first, so.. A driver would make sense. Ideas people, c'mon.

Boba gets the Buzzz. The Boba Buzzz has a nice ring to it. Boba is well rounded, like the Buzzz. He hovers in his jet-pack, hovers like a buzzz.

Discraft maybe would have been well-served doing a social media poll, or something. Probably still could.