• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft driver most like a wraith

champ

I've started to try out some plastic that is not innova. What discraft driver would you say is the most like a wraith? I want to try out a discraft driver but not sure which one. I don't have a huge arm but can usually get my wraith to go about 350 or just a bit
more.

I'd say check out a Surge SS

Yeah the Surge SS has just a hair less HSS and a hair less LSS, but I have heard a new Surge starts out almost identical to a Wraith but beats in to be slightly less stable than a beat wraith.

No disc is an exact copy of another, and with the super-duper high speed discs people get such a wide variety of results so you will get a bunch of responses saying it flies like a bunch of different discs. Add to that the fact that Champ, Star and DX disc fly differently, people sometimes inadvertently compare apples to oranges. So I'd expect that you will get everything from a Force to an Avenger SS as an answer to this.

From talking to players who can get a Wraith up to speed (which I am not one) it appears that the Surge is the disc that in general is closest to a Wraith.

I've started to try out some plastic that is not innova. What discraft driver would you say is the most like a wraith? I want to try out a discraft driver but not sure which one. I don't have a huge arm but can usually get my wraith to go about 350 or just a bit
more.

The Surge is widely considered Discraft's answer to the Wraith. But as you saw when we played the Burnet course the slightly beat ESP Surge I was throwing was considerably more understable than a Wraith with the same amount of wear. If you remember, I was having to use a substantial hyzer-flip to get it to go straight. It was not like this when I first got it, but for some reason this disc beat-in faster than any other premium plastic disc I've owned. The Z plastic might be a better choice, but I've never thrown one so can't say for sure. I actually prefer the Z Surge SS over the ESP Surge. It starts out new at the perfect stability for controlled distance and beats in slower than the ESP Surge. But once it does beat in, it too becomes quite flippy and hard to control. Next time we play you could test out both my ESP Surge and Z Surge SS, which is still pretty new.

Last edited:
Surge SS....it's not the same as a Wraith, it's actually just a touch better:)

100% Surge or Surge SS. IMO the Surge is the closest disc Discraft has to offer in comparison to the Wraith. Once the Surge beats up, it will be more understable than the Wraith. My ESP Surge beat in very quickly and now has to be thrown on a hyzer-flip line for max distance. I think if I threw it totally flat it may even be a decent roller disc, it's that flippy. I do have to add that my ESP Surge is a bit lighter than I usually throw most drivers, at 166g so that be help with it's "flippiness".

"The Surge is widely considered Discraft's answer to the Wraith. But as you saw when we played the Burnet course the slightly beat ESP Surge I was throwing was considerably more understable than a Wraith with the same amount of wear."

Same experience here. Only a Wraith acts just like a Wraith.

ESP Surges are prolly the closest, although some Wraiths are decidedly more overstable, I can't remember if it's the domey or flat-tops ones. My ESP Surges are flippy now but they still feel more controllable than the Wraiths I've owned. I've heard some of the Z Surges are glideless crap but that's complete hearsay on my part. Rogue I would imagine would fly similar to a Pro Wraith but again, hearsay.

If you're talking 150 class discs the Avenger SS 150 is closest to a wraith 150.

I'd also look at a PD by Discmania and a Northman by Westside (delicious Opto wraiths)

\/\/

Surge is the closest... when new... they become more under stable over time than the Wraith.

Rouge wears in to become the most like the Wraith in the long run.

i beat up dx wraith and a flat top esp surge . and they fly almost identical, cept the feel of discs are different, the wraith is thinner and the surge has a different rim feel. but i keep them both in my bag they compliment each other nicely. i use my old dx wraith as the disc to throw over the pond at tibby park because i plan on buying a used star wraith and im trying to lose it but it keeps flying over the pond.. i guess i should just keep using it then hahaha.

Latest posts