• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft X-Clone

brennan

Par Member
I was out playing today and somebody gave me an D X-Clone in ~7.5 condition. Just gave it to me; he said he didn't have room to carry it and was going to throw it away? :?

I've heard of it before but the extent of my knowledge is that it's an OOP overstable disc that's supposed to be a modified Cyclone(?) Anyway, what's up with these? When did they go out of production? Are they desirable? I didn't throw it much during the round, how will it fly compared to my Banshee and Gazelles?

My understanding is that it's like a Banshee with more glide.

They were pretty popular about 10 years ago. I guess discs like the Talon and Predator superceded them.

X Clones bomb!!!! I loved the old Scott Stokely Signature ones. Put them on an anny with a cross tail wind and watc them go!

Too dad they lasted 5 rounds and then were toast.

dgdave said:
X Clones bomb!!!! I loved the old Scott Stokely Signature ones. Put them on an anny with a cross tail wind and watc them go!

Too dad they lasted 5 rounds and then were toast.

Ditto, Xclones were the bomb but were too fragile. I love that notch on the top of the wing.

Years ago I found an X-clone while I was playing a round(no name, no number so it became mine) but I did not find it to be that over stable at all. It was actually one of my favorite RHBH rollers. I no longer have it, but my experience was that it was a phenomenal roller.

A buddy of mine swears by the X-Clone...I've never thrown a full weight one more than once, but I have a 150 class TP one that flies about like my flippier 150 talons do...Not quite moderately overstable by avenger standards, but a cyclone for people with more snap.

Stokely could do jaw-dropping stuff with an X-Clone. Just sick, sick stuff. I've seen a lot of top players, and I don't think there is anybody today that would motivate me to spend money to watch. I'd have paid money to watch Stokely again, no question. The dude was a freakshow. He knew every shot and would throw all of them farther than you ever saw anyone throw a disc like that before. When he left town, all of us were all "How do you throw a skoobie? How do you throw a grenade? How do we throw all those other crazy shots Stokely threw?" Pretty much all of us that saw him got excited about playing more disc golf.

Unfortunately, he was as fragile as those X-Clones. The one time I did go to a tournament because I heard he was going to play, he was just in the merch tent. It was a B tier, and he was trying to heal some injuries before an A tier the next weekend. He had to shut it down way too early.

If I was really going to try to promote "pro" disc golf, I'd take a page out of the IFA book. I'd get together some young guys like Bratten and Double G who throw those sick-sick bombs and teach them to be entertainers...make them practice all those trick shots and teach them to tell some jokes. Then send them on the road to do demos and freak people out. I don't care who you are, people like to see things fly FAR!

Working Stiff said:
Stokely could do jaw-dropping stuff with an X-Clone. Just sick, sick stuff. I've seen a lot of top players, and I don't think there is anybody today that would motivate me to spend money to watch. I'd have paid money to watch Stokely again, no question. The dude was a freakshow. He knew every shot and would throw all of them farther than you ever saw anyone throw a disc like that before. When he left town, all of us were all "How do you throw a skoobie? How do you throw a grenade? How do we throw all those other crazy shots Stokely threw?" Pretty much all of us that saw him got excited about playing more disc golf.

Unfortunately, he was as fragile as those X-Clones. The one time I did go to a tournament because I heard he was going to play, he was just in the merch tent. It was a B tier, and he was trying to heal some injuries before an A tier the next weekend. He had to shut it down way too early.

If I was really going to try to promote "pro" disc golf, I'd take a page out of the IFA book. I'd get together some young guys like Bratten and Double G who throw those sick-sick bombs and teach them to be entertainers...make them practice all those trick shots and teach them to tell some jokes. Then send them on the road to do demos and freak people out. I don't care who you are, people like to see things fly FAR!

Ditto. I drove pretty far a few times and paid to be in his doubles clinic and I would do it all again in a second and pay twice as much

The X-Clone is a heavily modified cyclone.

it was overstable and unfortunately, very fragile as it had a very thin flight plate. it was available in tournament pro plastic, elite x plastic, and dga had some run in discraft's competition line plastic (predecessor to pro d).

it held the distance record from 1995-1998 and was the first disc thrown 200m+ (656' by Stokely).

imo, the first disc in its class that was able to outperform it was the elite pro xtra.

Blake_T said:
imo, the first disc in its class that was able to outperform it was the elite pro xtra.
Could be. I really didn't have the gun or form to use it backhand at the time, but the X-Clone was far and away the best forehand driver from '95-'98. Nothing else was even close. The disc that replaced it for me was the Banshee. They were pretty close performance-wise, and the Banshee was waaayyy more durable.

As I recall, the Xtra and Firebird came out almost exactly at the same time. As I saw it, the Xtra really didn't kill the X-Clone because I couldn't sell any Xtras either. All the overstable freaks were on the fire chicken.

dgdave said:
Working Stiff said:

Ditto. I drove pretty far a few times and paid to be in his doubles clinic and I would do it all again in a second and pay twice as much
You know, I've heard all the Seymour Butts rumors about what the guy is doing these days, but I don't care. I wish he was still around in some capacity. He was on the road for a long time, and a lot of people went to those clinics. It's like Crazy John Brooks. I have not seen Crazy throw anything in 15 years, but when you see pictures of events and see that he was there you smile if you remember him, because that dude could entertain.

Stokely has some of the same potential. All the old dudes would look at the young dudes and say "Jenkins? Great guy, big arm. Double G? Can throw it for a mile. You see that dude over there? Scott Stokely. You never saw Stokely, kid. You never saw the real deal."

If disc golf had more guys like Crazy and Stokely, Pro disc golf might have a chance.

As I recall, the Xtra and Firebird came out almost exactly at the same time. As I saw it, the Xtra really didn't kill the X-Clone because I couldn't sell any Xtras either. All the overstable freaks were on the fire chicken.

the xtra came out late 2000. i believe the firebird came out early 2001. the xtra was the leading candidate to break the XL's record (word was Stokely was throwing them 700'+ in practice) and then the XS came out before big D and that ended up setting the record.

the xtra was a sweet disc. it smoked the banshee, x-clone, pegasus, viper, etc. in terms of the super overstable disc. the firebird had a MUCH different flight shape than those... it was faster and held straight longer before flaring. the firebird would penetrate wind, the xtra would cut through it and still glide.

most people had already replaced x-clones with X2's, and xtras weren't going to displace the X2 (the predator did though).

Blake_T said:

the xtra came out late 2000. i believe the firebird came out early 2001. the xtra was the leading candidate to break the XL's record (word was Stokely was throwing them 700'+ in practice) and then the XS came out before big D and that ended up setting the record.

the xtra was a sweet disc. it smoked the banshee, x-clone, pegasus, viper, etc. in terms of the super overstable disc. the firebird had a MUCH different flight shape than those... it was faster and held straight longer before flaring. the firebird would penetrate wind, the xtra would cut through it and still glide.

most people had already replaced x-clones with X2's, and xtras weren't going to displace the X2 (the predator did though).

What about the Reaper? I didn't throw them at the time but knew a lot who did on the Discraft side. I did however have a nice Xtra that was plenty stable for my weak arm.

Blake_T said:

It probably depends a lot on where you are. In the Lou, the main Discraft promoter in the mid 90's was Dave McCormack. As a result, by the time of the Xtra a lot of the guys in my area that would have thrown them were on to the Warrior/Blaze. The X2 was a couple years earlier, but it never really sold very well for me. I couldn't keep XL's on the shelf, but the X2's sat around. I couldn't tell you why, they just did.

It probably depends a lot on where you are. In the Lou, the main Discraft promoter in the mid 90's was Dave McCormack. As a result, by the time of the Xtra a lot of the guys in my area that would have thrown them were on to the Warrior/Blaze. The X2 was a couple years earlier, but it never really sold very well for me. I couldn't keep XL's on the shelf, but the X2's sat around. I couldn't tell you why, they just did.

from a sales standpoint, the XL smoked the X2. more beginner friendly and distance record holder. from a pro driver standpoint, the X2 smoked the XL.

What about the Reaper? I didn't throw them at the time but knew a lot who did on the Discraft side. I did however have a nice Xtra that was plenty stable for my weak arm.

reapers would flip with enough nuttage on them. things the XClone, X2, and Pred have in common: they won't turn over.

Blake_T said:

from a sales standpoint, the XL smoked the X2. more beginner friendly and distance record holder. from a pro driver standpoint, the X2 smoked the XL.

reapers would flip with enough nuttage on them. things the XClone, X2, and Pred have in common: they won't turn over.

Has Predator even been thrown farther then the XL record?

the reapers stability rating always seemed way off to me, it seems closer to a teebird than a pred

I know he has been close as I have seen him park a 639ft hole but I think he needs a Flash to get over 660ft :D

Latest posts