• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discs going high and stalling out

zeusjus

Par Member
I'm fairly new to disc golf, but after a bit of practice I'm getting pretty good distance off the tee. However, a lot of the time I throw the disc to high and i stalls and fades hard around 270-300'. I' working hard to correct this and when I do throw low it's looking pretty nice. Any advice on ways to help correct this? Any exercises I could try! Thanks a ton!

PS I know nose up releasing nose up is a common problem, but if it is in my case I can't seem to bring it down (or just toss it into the dirt) so specific things to fous on there would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Try to keep the nose down. Golf discs can be very sensitive to nose angles. It feels counterproductive but there's a way to throw a disc upwards and with the nose down.

It's always good to work on your form to keep the nose down of course, but there are certain discs that are less nose angle sensitive than others. Gazelles, valks, orcs...

slow and low that is tempo! let it go...
really i would say nice and slow in your backswing, and then excelerate across the chest/abdome.
thats without seeing you throw??

If you have a low reachback and pull up from low to high you can get that issue. It can feel like you are flat, but when you video yourself you may see subtle nose issues.

I would highly suggestion going to YouTube and watching the "Discraft Disc Golf Clinic" videos.

I used them to help me with my drive, and it helped me with my form and technique. I was able to improve my form, which increased my drives from 300-320' out to about 420' (with a little practice of course...wasn't instant).

They have many different videos too. Videos for putts, jump putts, grip technique, drives, approach shots etc etc.

There is one video in there that talks about the problem you are having...but I can't remember everything it said, and wouldn't want to butcher it..lol Basically it talks about how to bring your arm forward across your chest during your throw.

Check em out!

Last edited:
Disc orientation with respect to your wrist and getting your weight forward are the two biggest things that help get the nose down.

If you have a low reachback and pull up from low to high you can get that issue. It can feel like you are flat, but when you video yourself you may see subtle nose issues.
If you get your weight forward it's actually the opposite that gets the nose up. A high to low pull is how you perform an air bounce, which is a very nose up throw.

^Beat me to it, I was just about to post about how a low to high pull actually makes it easier to get the nose down.

You are right, I had to stand up in my office and mimic it.
high reachback, low pull, and high follow through makes a swooping motion that commonly creates the nose issues.
jrawk posted a video a while back using me as a demonstrator of what happens when your reachback is too high. The disc took off, flew for ever and went nowhere.

Last edited:
As others have said don't start low and finish high.

On really low ceiling shots I may start high and finish low but that is rare and only if it a tight, low ceiling fairway.

Also thumb positioning can have a great effect on nose angles. To me the further forward you have your thumb placed the lower the throw will be.

Good selection of discs too. It is nice to see you throwing discs that are very suitable for a beginner. You seem to have all of the basis down in terms of under/over stable drivers.

I might recommend picking up a Firebird or something similar to throw into fast headwinds but other than that you have a good group of drivers to work with.

This might help you: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml#nosedown

You should also check out the other articles on that website. I learned a lot when I find that stuff. :)

The part about correct wrist orientation (parallel to the forearm) is HUGE. I was playing with a newbie the other day and he was doing the same thing (disc to high). That was the first thing I showed him and then he almost shat himself when he crushed his next drive.

Make sure you are getting your weight forward. Don't try and crush the disc, this usually causes you to reach too far back and not get forward enough.

As others have said don't start low and finish high.

On really low ceiling shots I may start high and finish low but that is rare and only if it a tight, low ceiling fairway.

Also thumb positioning can have a great effect on nose angles. To me the further forward you have your thumb placed the lower the throw will be.

Good selection of discs too. It is nice to see you throwing discs that are very suitable for a beginner. You seem to have all of the basis down in terms of under/over stable drivers.

I might recommend picking up a Firebird or something similar to throw into fast headwinds but other than that you have a good group of drivers to work with.

i actually JUST got a 171g cham starfire (i opened the parcel 10 minutes ago) for something a little more stable. i decided i wasnt quite ready to tackle the firebird. i'm gonna test it out once it stops raining here.