• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscSearcher tool is born!

Biscuits

Premium Member
To keep a long story short, I was laid off in November, and decided to use the free time when not job searching to improve my coding skills while making life as a disc golfer a little bit easier. Fast-forward to today and I have a fully baked application that makes finding the right disc super easy!

So what does the tool do, exactly?

• Connect to InfiniteDiscs to get the flight numbers for every single disc they sell. Store locally.
  • Allow you to search all of their discs by Manufacturer, Name, Speed, Glide, Turn, and/or Fade.
  • Allows you to search specifically or even use regular expressions to match many things simultaneously.

When the locally stored data is 1 month old, the tool will go ahead and update it, but this can also be done manually if you want (right now there are flight numbers for 844 discs included).

InfiniteDiscs was very supportive in what I was doing here, and I wanted to make sure that was socialized as well.

Anyway, the short and sweet to using the tools is to do the following;

1. Download zip package for your OS
  2. Extract it
  3. Navigate into the newly created "discsearcher" directory
  4. Execute the program (./discsearcher on MacOS\Linux, or discsearcher.exe for Windows)

SzjOlS4.png

Full Disclosure: After showing InfiniteDiscs the tool, they set me up as an affiliate so if you do choose to use the links the tool provides for purchasing discs, they are tracking that and will give me a cut, which being unemployed I would greatly appreciate right now. That said, purchasing from them is NOT necessary to use the tool. I fully intend on the tool staying 100% free.

Regarding an app

An app has actually been requested by someone from a local club already, but that is not nearly as easy as a CLI tool, mainly because you have a lot more to fight with like;

• UI Development (iOS, Android)
  • Which coding language is supported on both

If an app does happen, it will be a LONG ways out for sure.....

Very cool. Unfortunately, it is based off the flight numbers of the various brands. IMO, a system that could not be much closer to totally subjective, lol. Good luck, man.

That's actually not true. It uses the flight numbers as provided by InfiniteDiscs, who does their own testing of all discs they sell.

I stand corrected, and thinking about it....I knew this. My opinion on their flight numbers still stands though. It is just a bit further from arbitrary, even with a couple of the variables addressed in their system. I think you have made a valuable tool. :thmbup:

Very cool indeed.

Not sure what else is keeping you busy during your unplanned vacation, but a program that searches the top disc golf web retailers by disc name/manufacturer would also be super useful.

Props with staying with programming. After 2 semesters of C+ in college I noped out.

Just ditch Python and learn C++. Its easier to hide your viruses that way.

:) haha. J/K.

That is kinda odd though. I didnt read any of the SE questions or answers, but I do wonder if its headers and footers added by the conversion from .py to .exe that cause the issue.

Just ditch Python and learn C++. Its easier to hide your viruses that way.

But, if we just want to kill two birds with one stone, maybe encouraging adoption of Windows alternatives is the better solution ;-)