• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance: How many % when standing still?

There are very few situations where I'd throw a driver at a standstill, so I honestly couldn't tell you.

This is true. And I think a real deterrent for some. People get soo used to tee box=run up, that its shocking to see a standstill on a 250+' hole.

You look like a total noob. Until your effortless-looking standstill is under the basket.

It's interesting that there is that much of a preconceived notion about the standstill shot.. We are in our own happy bubble out here out of 30 regular players I'm one of the few on DGCR.. Our course is mostly short, rocky and poor terrain. With the rain and dirt tee pads run ups don't happen. So I'm coming from the other end where I have built my shot from a standstill half step whatever and am trying to learn the run up better. One of the old guys throws 375 without a run up quite easily.

I'm terrible at fairway run-ups (too much thinking about hitting my spot), so I tend to throw standstills more than the average bear. I get about 400 on tee pad distance shots, and maybe 350ish on standstills.

It really is an invaluable skill.

I don't know, wouldn't even want to try and put a number on it, but I'm quite sure that my distance lost from going to standstill is much less using my Swedish technique vs the conventional bent-elbow technique. Even when I do a run-up in Swedish, I usually get better results if it's just a one-step or Feldy hop so I wouldn't be surprised if I don't lose any distance in a standstill.

I was hoping people would discuss the mechanics of throwing from a standstill and how to maximize or optimize the throw. I'm ok with where I am now but who knows if I keep working on it.

I think you're the norm here - most players find a routine and timing in their x-step, even if they're not using it for generating power.

I can throw ~400' from a 1-step, but I only do that if my footing is terrible and I can't use an x-step.

Typically if I cant run up backhand I can throw a standstill flick XD

Shows the flaws in my backhand. I am working on the standstill backhand.

I don't know, wouldn't even want to try and put a number on it, but I'm quite sure that my distance lost from going to standstill is much less using my Swedish technique vs the conventional bent-elbow technique. Even when I do a run-up in Swedish, I usually get better results if it's just a one-step or Feldy hop so I wouldn't be surprised if I don't lose any distance in a standstill.

Shhhh. Let them bent-elbow:D

Typically if I cant run up backhand I can throw a standstill flick XD

Shows the flaws in my backhand. I am working on the standstill backhand.

...Yeah same for me...if i really don't trust a teepad then it pushes me very far into the FH mindset unless the hole is absolutely not shaped for it. I just feel like if I slip on a FH I'll shank the shot but won't get hurt, if I slip on a BH it feels more scary.

It's interesting that there is that much of a preconceived notion about the standstill shot.. We are in our own happy bubble out here out of 30 regular players I'm one of the few on DGCR.. Our course is mostly short, rocky and poor terrain. With the rain and dirt tee pads run ups don't happen. So I'm coming from the other end where I have built my shot from a standstill half step whatever and am trying to learn the run up better. One of the old guys throws 375 without a run up quite easily.

Need to go back and search some of the threads kicked off about jump putts and foot faults where someone brings up stand and deliver rules everywhere but teepads. The forum almost breaks from the rage and tears as if its impossible to throw over 200' from a standstill. Things like "uh... good luck shooting anything below a 6 on such and such course's 800'er"

I like to try and go to all stand still rounds for a while. It gets me into a much better place on a run-up... which my run-up is more just a very slow couple Steps Xstep.

Just threw my fresh Spin 45m from a standstill I don't know what that is in real distance but I'm seriously questioning the advice I get on here now haha. :)

Last edited:
I can put a freshish KC Roc out 300'+ with a runup, still gets 260'+ standstill. For me the difference is about one disc class, but still only 15%-20%, though I know my form has more to do with it than anything. I can't FH from a standstill for distance well, but it is very accurate, as long as I don't roll my wrist. I'd love to see some standstill form help, since I'd rather have 10% better accuracy than 40' of distance.

I can put a freshish KC Roc out 300'+ with a runup, still gets 260'+ standstill. For me the difference is about one disc class, but still only 15%-20%, though I know my form has more to do with it than anything. I can't FH from a standstill for distance well, but it is very accurate, as long as I don't roll my wrist. I'd love to see some standstill form help, since I'd rather have 10% better accuracy than 40' of distance.

I like how HUB approaches it, trying to get tall on the back leg in the load/backswing and drop to the front foot. Makes you use gravity and keep the stride narrower/appropriate, rather than trying to get way back to the rear leg and stride far forward, typically resulting in sloshing your weight around and getting off balance. If you want forward momentum then use the X-step, it's easier and less strenuous for that.

I like how HUB approaches it, trying to get tall on the back leg in the load/backswing and drop to the front foot. Makes you use gravity and keep the stride narrower/appropriate, rather than trying to get way back to the rear leg and stride far forward, typically resulting in sloshing your weight around and getting off balance. If you want forward momentum then use the X-step, it's easier and less strenuous for that.

Thanks. I don't have that much weight to throw around, and even at my younger age, I suspect that I have Arthritis already in my knees. Any advice on how to keep the nose down while standing still.

Sorry in advance for the threadjack.

Thanks. I don't have that much weight to throw around, and even at my younger age, I suspect that I have Arthritis already in my knees. Any advice on how to keep the nose down while standing still.

Yeah you definitely don't want to be doing a big back to forward shift then.

Nose down issues, if grip is already good, is then likely not balanced on front leg. If you aren't getting all the way onto the front leg then you'll kind of sky the disc a little. If you can do it from X-step but not from standstill then I bet you rely on extra momentum tipping you forward in the X-step...a guess from not seeing video anyways.

Here's HUB's drill for how to feel like you drop onto the plant in a standstill.

After reading this thread, I tried just a simple step forward today, like a batter in baseball, and had pretty good results: granted it was in the snow, with no tee pad, but I actually parked a drive to my great surprise. Was throwing 150 class Ace Race Mantis into the wind, and Jade with the tailwind, worked pretty well.

It really allowed me to focus on the snap/release, which for winter golf might be a great exercise in angles, form and other such goodies.

Plus the chance of slipping and winding up on me arse? No longer a problem.

Depending on your throw with backhand draw from the top of your shoulder and snap downwards or flat.. Rather than nipple height, a lot of times it will gain height.

And as mentioned before check your grip... if I don't push the disc deep in my hand and lock it with my back fingers and then get my front fingers in position it can slip out nose up. The further it pushes into your hand the more it tilts nose down naturally .

It is very important to have a good grip and for me there is very little difference between good and bad just a bit of a finger shift.

I only do one step or standstill throws. I guess it's because last summer, when I was doing field works, I always started by throwing putter upshots at a couple of targets of about 100-150' then aiming for a tree at 200'. At the end I was throwing mids and drivers a little mostly with one step/standstill also. I did try a run up with an x-step but since I didn't practice it much yet, it's inconsistent.

Now with the snow and the fact that it's getting dark at 4h30 pm, when I do fieldwork I only grab one of my Banger Gt pro D. I throw it back and forth in a park nearby where there is some lampposts but it's still too dark to throw many discs and try to find them all. I can get to 200' on target with good consistency and now even a bit more so I'm getting closer to my goal of 250' with my putter from one step/standstill throw.

Last edited:
depends on the course I'm playing holes 300 ft and less I will use standstill from the tee

Too late to keep editing....

I use a slow motion walk up.. SLOW motion but every step I take ties to an arm position and it helps coordinate my feet and upper body. IME all the power comes by moving the upper body at the right time on the FINAL step when your plant foot is down, legs swing the hips and that's the cue to uncoil the torso then the arm.

That being said from a standstill try slowing your throw way down as if you are trying to show your friend who's never played how to do it. Try throwing in slow motion ish with a putter or mid ... get your timing and then speed it up...

Most people can throw pretty far with a standstill with some practice. This is great advice to slow it down. Position your feet, line up your shot, deliberate reach back with no rounding, rotate and pull in to pocket, accelerate through the motion. With some work on staying smooth throughout this you should be getting another good chunk of distance. I can hit about 280 with good accuracy with a Leo standing still.

If you want to watch a clinic on smooth motion getting big distance, find a tournament with Tateki Noma on YouTube. That guy throws in slow motion and bombs!

Latest posts