• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Do you Approach with the same putter that you putt with?

I have 3 putters in my bag, a DX Rhyno, a Champ Rhyno, and an R-Pro Polecat. I don't throw the DX one off the tee, but I will approach with it. It's also the only one I putt with. The other two I'll throw off the tee.

Negative. I have 2 KC Aviars and 2 small bead Aviars in my bag. One KC is for drives/approaches the other for putting only. One of the small beads is for jump putts only and the other small bead is used for 90% of my approach shots.

Right now I'm using a pair of D Challys, during a round I'll putt one, drive/up the other than switch them before the next round so the wear is pretty even. When both are good and seasoned, I'll throw in another pair just for drives and ups, then use the seasoned for putts.

magic- no fade approaches to 150'; understable turnover approaches over 150'
classic judge- stable straight to slight fade approaches; stable straight at 300' drives
classic judge- stable with half the fade of a new firm judge; main putter; all basket runs
PA2- flick approaches to 200'; headwind approaches over 200'; hyzer approaches

I use max weight soft Eclipse Ions for both. One is a dedicated putter and the other is for drives and approaches.

I was running 175 SS-SSS Voodoo's for putts/approach 150 and in, and a 400 PA1 for 150 and over. Then I switched to a proton Ions about a month or so ago and now I use them for everything inside 200. Over that I use a Suspect.

Last edited:
2 putters for less than 100 feet or so. Mostly a Wizard. A Magic for putts that need to be a little less stable. Mids for longer approaches.

I have four.
Long and floaty, like a tunnel, I use a Proto Wedge.
Standard long with height, XD.
Under 100', Ridge on a wire.
Circle is warm and fuzzy VP.

I have two Kc aviars i do most approaches and putts with , as well as a champ Rhyno for wind / Mcpro aviar for little anny upshots

Neutron Ion for drives and upshots, JK-X for putting - both black putter ninjas.... In the winter, sometimes I use a ridge for upshots (better grip)

For most of my approaches I'll just use my putting putter (Sole). But there are some situations, such as headwinds, skip shots, longer flicks, etc., where I'll approach with a VP instead.

I do all my putting, approaching and driving with Glow Wizards. I've got a soft and a medium as well, but those are just backups right now.

Mostly. I only use my other putters if I need a bigger line or to get around an obstacle. Everything under 150' gets a putter, over 180' I start considering my mids since they are more predictable at the higher power.

I'm using the credo for everything now. I was struggling with my putting and decided to play my last tournament with just the credos and did much better. Only downside I can see is if you miss you risk a roll out.

Yep. All Ion, all the time. There are rounds where I only throw my Amp and Ion.

why yes, yes I do. soft focus.
however, it is beat straight now, and am considering adding a soft challenger...

I carry 2 Ions, 1 PA4, and 1 Wizard

i approach and putt with both Ions, whichever one my hand grabs first..

the PA4 i drive with, and the Wizard is there in case its a rainy day and i dont feel good about putting premium MVP plastic.