• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you ever consider ditching innova and going all discraft?

innova we want rancho ching rocs? everyone wants them they are cool they fly great but you can't find them anymore. so can we get those again or should i start looking at wasps to replace ranchos.

better get em while you can, they're allegedly going the way of the dodo

Was throwing all Discraft for a long time, something about their discs just feel better to me, I don't know. Slowly I worked some Innova back in but my bag is still mostly Discraft.

People that buy legacy plastics are the hipsters of disc golf. Seriously. You guys pay between 30-70 for a piece of CE plastic. This is no different from paying a ton of money for vinyl records because the sounds was more authentic.

This is an interesting topic because I often read here about inconsistent runs; mainly from Innova, but I see a lot about Discraft as well. I started off 100% Innova because that was all any place around here sold. Then I went up to Marshall Street mixed in some Discraft. I started to worry about inconsistencies from Innova and went all Discraft for a while. Now I am almost 50/50. Because I carry only 6-8 molds with multiples of each, I found it best to not worry about inconsitencies...Some thing are beyond your control and you should always be able to make adjustments. Adjustments will better your game. By adjusting, you open yourself up to learning new things and that will always equal improvement.

PS: I think my signature still has all the disc I threw as a dumb noob... The fastest I through now is a Valkarie and I will probably club donw eben more for the fall/ winter season.

My main beef with Innova is that they don't offer some of their most popular molds in premium plastic, i.e. the Roc. My game isn't good enough to justify spending $40 or however much for a Champ Roc. I'll probably get around to trying a Star Roc, but most of those I've seen are in Ontario or Sanny, and I've only thrown the Rancho mold. Until then, I've been throwing a Z Buzz and it's works just fine than you very much. So the Buzz together with a Z Comet (love it) got my mids covered. Gateway has my putters covered with a couple Wizes and a Voodoo. I still do love my Innova drivers though. Nothing but love for my champ Starfire, Orc and T-bird. When the time comes to replace those, hopefully I won't have too big of a problem :eek:

It's a moot point with rocs because star rocs are worse than KC's or DX's in every way but durability. If you live in a place that chews KC pros up in a round that's the only reason to consider one IMO.

I was kind of surprised the Pro Teebirds didn't work out better than they did, that was one I was excited for.

It's a moot point with rocs because star rocs are worse than KC's or DX's in every way but durability. If you live in a place that chews KC pros up in a round that's the only reason to consider one IMO.

I was kind of surprised the Pro Teebirds didn't work out better than they did, that was one I was excited for.

I think we all were

I doubt I'll ever completely give up on a company just because they're too inconsistent. With the amount of golf I play and my skill level, I'll just adapt to what's on the market. I don't wear them out or lose them too often. I'm not sure starting all over and buying all "new" stuff for my bag is my best bet.

Discraft makes fine discs, but I prefer that sweet Swedish/Finnish plastic and the Vibram rubber. I like Innova more than Discraft (star plastic used to be my fave), but Westside/Lat64 and Vibram dominate my bag.

I know discraft aren't 100% consistent but I wont have to deal with searching for the rarities that I like from innova.... 11x, 10x, with flight numbers and without flight numbers and all that jazz.. It seems like discraft there are first runs and then there are production.

For me its getting old to hunt down everything I really like. I have tons of discs that I just can't justify throwing because they've cost me $40 to buy and to lose would mean I spend another $60 to replace it a year later.

Anyone else share this frustration?

I am not so much of a disc junkie in being that specific. Still, after I bought a 165 dx Archangel that was massively more overstable than my Boss, and trust me, I beat that Archangel against many trees, and had many rough landings with it, that I quit trusting Innova dx molds. I considered going all Discraft because they seemed so much more consistent. I feel if I want to be consistent, then I need to be able to go out and buy a disc and play it, and within a round or two with it, be familiar enough with the mold to count on it.

Innova, Discraft, and Gateway have some great molds, and in all fairness, I have not tried much beyond these 3 companies. Still, I tried to move towards all Discraft since the last 2 champs are Discraft players, so the discs work. Still, we have to use what works best for us, and the only remaining Discraft mold I carry is the Predator.

...also, the only dx I carry is on my super light Leopards.

I appreciate the advice on the star Rocs, but I have seen some love for them and I'm stubborn about having to try things myself, so I'll prob pick one up at some point. And yes I am hard on my discs, with letting trees and whatnot getting into their flightpaths lol.

I forgot before to give a very honorable mention to the Lightning discs that have a space in the bag, Helix #1 and #2. Great fairway drivers!

maybe i won't need to switch all the way over but looks like destroyers have been messed with and if they don't fix it i'll probably get rid of firebirds in favor of XXX and and destroyers for forces or some other company.

I very, very highly recommend the Westside Sword for the Destroyer replacement. Lat64 molds them for Westside in that sweet Swedish plastic. It will not disappoint you.

I appreciate the advice on the star Rocs, but I have seen some love for them and I'm stubborn about having to try things myself, so I'll prob pick one up at some point. And yes I am hard on my discs, with letting trees and whatnot getting into their flightpaths lol.

I forgot before to give a very honorable mention to the Lightning discs that have a space in the bag, Helix #1 and #2. Great fairway drivers!

Just for filler, I have a 180 star SMRoc and a 180 KCproRoc. Both are great discs, but the star plastic is much easier to grip, and is supposed to be more durable, so how do you go wrong with that? I am very glad I have my star SMRoc.

my beef is 2 fold. 1) the inconsistency of the plastic itself. and excuses like the plastic didnt mold the same as before. that just tells me that your not buying the same plastic. i know ive heard rumors they buy in lots but i dont know if that true or not. For instance ive been throwing TeeRexes for 5 years and have multiples for every year in that time span. the actual feel of the plastic is different, domes vary wildly, but it all looks like it the same mold. and worst is that the problem exists across all the plastics. its frustrating when an entire run is different than the last. thats when its difficult to walk into a store and replace what you had. which is why i took the advice of Blake T back several years ago and buy multiples of the same run. unfortunately money doesnt always allow me to do this.
2) when they actually change part of the mold and call it the same thing. or if a mold breaks they cant repeat it exactly. in this day and age, computers can replicate molds to near perfection. its like they throw away the milling instructions after each mold is made.
its frustrating.
however i have beefs with discraft and DGA as well.
1) alot of their molds do not come in low end plastic. many people prefer the D and X type plastic.
2) their tendency to discontinue molds all together and not make special runs. I would be throwing Wasps (Hornet:thmbdown:) if they came in ProD and X still. Or the Storm, that thing beats a buzzz everytime in my book. i can outdrive my buzzzs everytime with a storm poorly throwing. and Hawkeyes, Steady Ed dies and they discontinue this disc a few months later....jerks! lets not forget the MRV and Reaper as well. i hear that its because they cant keep up with their more popular molds and they have limited molding machines. how about you buy another machine...

its something we are going to have to deal with and will probably get worse before it gets better.

I wouldnt give up the Eagle, Destroyer, and Leopard for anything. I like both Innova and Discraft...and Westside and Latitude 64.

For me it comes down to "will the disc do what I need it to do." I'm a mixed bag player myself, but its mixed in this way -

Drivers - Destroyers, Bosses, TB's, Archons.

Mids - Wasps, Comets, Drone, FLX Challenger (only used for upshots/drives)

Putters - Wizards.

I find that Innova drivers are easier to handle, and Discraft Mids are so consistently replaceable that its a no brainer. The only trouble with finding anything I need to replace in my bag are my Wizards, but seeing as I only use them for putting duties it would be kinda hard to lose them.

I bought a star San Marino Roc to throw in west Texas. (DX and KC Pro get huge gashes in them out there). I like the disc. It's in my Vibram bag for... west Texas use. It isn't the greatest midrange I've ever thrown, but it's a Roc and is quite useful. It's improving as it gets beat up. It has less glide than the DX/Kc Pro, but is very predictable and works well in the wind. Just because it isn't the "ultimate Roc", doesn't mean it isn't a fine disc.

Latest posts