• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does drinking alcohol hurt your game?

Never understood the guys chugging brewskis & throwing plastic on hot days. The dudes are like beef jerky on the back 9 due to all the dehydration.

At least do not do what I did in my previous post that was too much liquid in a 3-4 hour period including 20-24 oz of beer.

Also did 6 oz of Coors then went for a run, mistake forgot I was going for the run and ate a light lunch to avoid bonking as I had a micro breakfast. I blanked out during the run while on a crushed gravel trail but was paying attention to traffic in the small section from house to the trail on the way back I think, as one road few people in vehicles stop on the road even if people are already in the street. Another thing people go flying onto a part near the trail entrance to either sell drugs or be dumb fishing people on Missouri River who drink too much while fishing think whole 12 pack of Budweiser or 6 pack of tall 16 a 300 calorie Pasteurized beer that can't be digested very well before getting back into the car to drive home, a crappy car that looks like a 1994-1995 Ford Torus or Dodge of some kind that look like they have been in wreaks before.

Another thing people go flying onto a part near the trail entrance to either sell drugs or be dumb fishing people on Missouri River who drink too much while fishing think whole 12 pack of Budweiser or 6 pack of tall 16 a 300 calorie Pasteurized beer that can't be digested very well before getting back into the car to drive home, a crappy car that looks like a 1994-1995 Ford Torus or Dodge of some kind that look like they have been in wreaks before.

One sentence to rule them all......

;)

Haha! Bring a case along to share but don't drink any yourself. Genius, LOL! You don't have to be faster (more sober) than the bear...

I kind of agree with the 2/3 beers thing but how do you maintain that over an hour+ of playing? I've seen guys play ok, drink a 24oz, play like **** for a couple holes then taper off and play ok.

I bring alcohol more often than I should. Like I said, it seems to help for a bit but its too hard to balance.

The trick is, you can't. Once that train leaves for the day. You're on that ride until you crash.
What would HST do?

The trick is, you can't. Once that train leaves for the day. You're on that ride until you crash.
What would HST do?

I agree it can be a negative. I DO drink when I play sometimes. It can help me relax and focus without getting in my head. I'm trying to figure out where to put my beer down instead of overthinking my next shot. But with that, I might not be analyzing my shot as well as I should. My league seems very open to it. Many of the guys will have beers or practice their herbalism while they play. One herbalist in particular is VERY good. The first half of last season I didn't drink, the 2nd half I did sometimes. My score didn't really seem to change.

But I also suck. There is really no way I can ruin my game, :p

Haha! Bring a case along to share but don't drink any yourself. Genius, LOL! You don't have to be faster (more sober) than the bear...

I kind of agree with the 2/3 beers thing but how do you maintain that over an hour+ of playing? I've seen guys play ok, drink a 24oz, play like **** for a couple holes then taper off and play ok.

I bring alcohol more often than I should. Like I said, it seems to help for a bit but its too hard to balance.

More sober than the bear - that's hilarious :clap:

I struggle with this often. Back in early high school, in Driver's Ed, they showed us a fim that documented the effects of alcohol on drivers of different ages and genders. They drove through a course sober, and it was timed; then they sat down for a drink, then drove it again. They did this several times. Their speed/times actually improved after the first drink, and the second. Beyond that, they started knocking over cones, etc. I remember watching one of the women, crying at the end about how she just had "no idea how bad it was" after only three glasses of wine...

This reminds me of a bachelor party I attend in the foothills of West Virginia. Since we where in the middle of nowhere they came up with a racing game. They layout out a track in the front/backyard for a go-cart with cones. The object of the game was to jump in a go-cart, shotgun a beer and then complete the track in the lowest time. I believe I had the lowest time for drinking the beer and the longest drive around the track. Everyone at the party completed two loops and no one was hurt so it was a fun evening.

Now a days I have lost interest drinking. It just makes me urinate more often and give me headaches from dehydration.

I love me some cold, frosty ones, but I run into the problem of it getting warm on the summer months and freezing my fingers in the winter. I also try to avoid beers on the course because they usually get kicked/tipped over after only a couple swigs. That's alcohol abuse!

More sober than the bear - that's hilarious :clap:

Heck yeah! You don't have to improve your game, just bring others down!

My mother-in-laws margaritas! One time I had 2 and passed out. I've learned not to touch them things. I could bring a jug of the stuff and pass it around!

. Another thing people go flying onto a part near the trail entrance to either sell drugs or be dumb fishing people on Missouri River who drink too much while fishing think whole 12 pack of Budweiser or 6 pack of tall 16 a 300 calorie Pasteurized beer that can't be digested very well before getting back into the car to drive home, a crappy car that looks like a 1994-1995 Ford Torus or Dodge of some kind that look like they have been in wreaks before.

Sorry was tired after work, job where I stand all day and move around quite a bit.

No apology required Casey. This is a masterful scene setting that transports the reader directly into your narrative. It is vivid and poetic!

(not counting grammar and punctuation.)

I love having a beer, but having a beer is a separate activity. And I don't really like trying to do 2 things at once.

I got a buddy that I sometimes play with that drinks 3 or 4 beers over 18. I don't think it impacts his play, but he spends about a minute per hole trying to find somewhere to put his beer every shot. And he doesn't have room for all the discs that he likes to throw, so he is always asking if you are going to use your overstable approach disc and whatnot.

So for the most part, beer feels like a liability.

I love me some cold, frosty ones, but I run into the problem of it getting warm on the summer months and freezing my fingers in the winter. I also try to avoid beers on the course because they usually get kicked/tipped over after only a couple swigs. That's alcohol abuse!

Can coozies are your friends

Oh my....good thing I am kind of an expert on such things. Ice my friend is a wonderful solution. I generally fill a quality zip lock sandwich baggie with ice. Put the beer and ice, wrapped in a towel into a pocket of your bag or cart. This is the simplest solution. The baggie occasionally leaks, but if this bothers you.....drink more and faster.

Getting a system is the key. I used to have a cool scalloped freezie pack with three can divot shapes built in. I was able to stand three cans up, in my Gateway Tournament bag, drop in the scallop freezie pack and set two small freezie packs on top, with two cans laid down on top of that and zip the side pocket. One in the cup holder.....six pack!! My cart now has a cooler.

I used to stick a hardball in the bottom of my drink holder on my bag, perfect beer holder, the ball keeping the beer up enough to easily grab. You also now have a ball for getting discs out of trees.

Can coozies are your friends

Or a good drinking glove. :thmbup::thmbup:

If infinite ever gets anything I actually want to throw back in stock I'm going to throw in one of those minis that doubles as a can topper to my next order

I have a Discraft topper....fail. Any shake up of any carbonated beverage and it blows the top off.

I love having a beer, but having a beer is a separate activity. And I don't really like trying to do 2 things at once.

I got a buddy that I sometimes play with that drinks 3 or 4 beers over 18. I don't think it impacts his play, but he spends about a minute per hole trying to find somewhere to put his beer every shot. And he doesn't have room for all the discs that he likes to throw, so he is always asking if you are going to use your overstable approach disc and whatnot.

So for the most part, beer feels like a liability.

tell him to flip a disc over

If infinite ever gets anything I actually want to throw back in stock I'm going to throw in one of those minis that doubles as a can topper to my next order

If you get one... punch a small hole in the top.. Otherwise as you shake your beverage around it builds pressure and pops off. Funny thing is this one time a guy was in his forward stroke on his putt and my topper went "pop!" And he missed haha. I wish I could say I planned it, funny timing :)

Latest posts