• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dont Hurt The Trees!

I hate to be a nagging corrector or something, but BBQ is not whatever - I'm sorry... I am from Memphis, nuff said

"Whatever" simply implies that there are many options when it comes to grilling/BBQ/smoking etc. Not everything is pork butt and shoulder. Variety is good as long as it doesn't pertain to credit cards or concubines :)

Here is a cherry tree directly in front of the red and white tees on hole 2 at bluemont. It has been hit so many times in 20 years that it is almost cut in half. Even though it is extremely scarred near the bottom, the top half of the tree is quite healthy.
cherrytree2med.jpg

I asked the park to remove it when I redesigned the course and they wouldn't do it. Now I consider it to be an integral part of the hole.

You may notice another tree at the bottom of the picture which has recently fallen. That one died and fell over as a direct result of soil compaction.

Never thought of that, I'll check it closer next time out.
Someone will have one heck of a story one day when they hit it in the perfect spot and it falls down.

Here is a cherry tree directly in front of the red and white tees on hole 2 at bluemont. It has been hit so many times in 20 years that it is almost cut in half. Even though it is extremely scarred near the bottom, the top half of the tree is quite healthy.
cherrytree2med.jpg

I asked the park to remove it when I redesigned the course and they wouldn't do it. Now I consider it to be an integral part of the hole.

You may notice another tree at the bottom of the picture which has recently fallen. That one died and fell over as a direct result of soil compaction.

Wow! Who would have thought? I wonder how many 10,000's of hits that it took to do that...

All the more reason to be hypervigilant when you hear someone yell, "Fore!"

I have seen trees that have been hit, but that is worst tree damage from a disc I have ever seen.

I have seen trees that have been hit, but that is worst tree damage from a disc I have ever seen.

It looks a lot worse than it actually is. Cherry trees scab over to protect themselves. The red line shows the size of the original trunk.
cherrytreescab.jpg

I should name this tree "tri-tip".

I think the fruit trees have a hard time. At Plamann Park, in Appleton, Wis. All of the apple trees on hole #5 have died, as well as the main apple tree, blocker on #10. #5 is now a fairly wide open wasteland. Used to be a little orchard. This course has been played hard for nearly 20 years though. I tried to find a pic of the pine tree on hole #1 at Plamann; none available. That thing has been dwarfed and sculptured by discs in a rather incredible way. If you did not see the tree in the beginning, you would probably never know that anything has been different about it's life; it looks healthy. But, it is less than half the size the others that were planted at the same time; and the entire left side never really grew.
All in all, I would say discs do rather little damage (with the probable exception of fruit trees), compared to douche bags who cut or topple young trees.

It looks a lot worse than it actually is. Cherry trees scab over to protect themselves. The red line shows the size of the original trunk.
cherrytreescab.jpg

I should name this tree "tri-tip".

Most tri-tip I have isn't that beat up.:p