• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver Diver retriever

TheOtherBill

* Ace Member *
First off, I've never pimped anything on DGCR - except maybe gummy champ spiders (PM if you have any)

HOWEVER, this retriever is the best I've ever used in 15+ years. Most all DFW courses have some water, and I regularly throw my layups OB.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DiscreetTriever?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1049977011

I started with the 'golden retriever' and still have one, but because this Diver attaches to anything, it can be almost any reasonable distance. You do have to find a good stick to attach it to. I carry one of those hook-ended poles that are better than nothing and it's perfect with this on the end. Works great to save my back doing putting practice too.

It's like $12 with shipping - so basically the same as a factory second Dx Roc now :mad:

Reminds me of the "hooker" I bought a few years ago...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=STjoj2ymM8g

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2983001

I loved how compact it is, and that I can throw it into any bag. It works great, with the limitation that its reach it limited to the length of the stick I can find.

You've solved for that by carrying an extendable pole.

The other problem I've had is that it really doesn't work well on small diameter sticks, where the plastic form is too wide to really tighten well. That's obvious only in retrospect, as the YouTube video shows it securely tightened to a pretty wide stick of birch.

Has this newer product solved for that? I can't tell from the link, but it looks like the two plastic bands will cinch down pretty tight...is there a limit to how far down the pole this works?

Just FYI , when I use my cart, I carry the stick with the interchangeable heads (mine is the Prodigy version), because I really like that I can separate the head from the pole for easier carry

It should cinch down on a small stick pretty well since it won't come off the smallest extension of the pole I have it attached to.

So far my only issue is it won't pick up a Wizard upside-down very easily. When I'm collecting my missed putts, I have to use the hooking end to flip it over before I can grab it. Also, anything substantially thicker than a Wizard - Polecat, Zephyr, etc - would probably be tough to slide the grab-y part over.

Update:
I set mine against my basket (attached to a small telescoping pole) when I'm practicing putts, that way it's always right there to save me the trouble of picking them up. Three weeks ago it broke just from the reverb from the impact of my rare makes. I had seen the stress lines in the plastic before that at obvious weak points but didn't figure entropy would break that soon.

Also, it only picks up Wizards if you flip them upside down, and it doesn't pick up discs directly below you well, like along a steep bank.