• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drives wobble out of my hand

DMLara89

On my drives, the disc seems to wobble out of my hand for the first 50' or so and then flatten out and fly like normal. I have been playing for 2 months and can throw about 320' consistently on drives but I feel like I am losing distance. Could anyone let me know what might be causing the wobble? I throw RHBH. Thanks

It is called OAT, or Off axis torque. Or so I'm told...

I have no idea how to fix it, doesn't happen to me, so I don't really worry 'bout it.

This thread talks a little about it.

Last edited:
Drive with putters. You will see that flutter a lot better and then be able to work on it. Work on your wrist orientation, and as that wobble works out, you will see your putters get more distance.

I know from recent experience with working on it, and then once you move back to drivers and etc. you should see some results in your drive (Im not to that point yet)

If your just having fun, don't worry about oat- if you want to be good, it's everyone main problem.
And yes, not to be rude, but juke- you probally have it too.
My normal group thinks I throw super clean and decently far. - when I'm with the big arms, they make my throw look like a 81 Buick with different color replacement panels.
Yesterday I got to see over a dozen 500+++ throws. Made me realize that even though you may not be eating oatmeal, your cereal may still contain oats;)

Actually, the disc wobbles b/c you touch yourself at night. Okay, not true. It's OAT. Work with putters and mids (Comet) until you get clean, smooth throws with some nice spin.

If your just having fun, don't worry about oat- if you want to be good, it's everyone main problem.
My normal group thinks I throw super clean and decently far. - when I'm with the big arms, they make my throw look like a 81 Buick with different color replacement panels.
Yesterday I got to see over a dozen 500+++ throws. Made me realize that even though you may not be eating oatmeal, your cereal may still contain oats;)

I could, I guess. I dunno. My discs don't wobble visibly in flight *at all* excepting gimme putts where I just stiff arm it into the basket. Are their imperceptible amounts of OAT, and if they're impreceptible, how do you perceive them? :\

I ripped this off from DGR...it still makes me laugh.
oatmonster-1.jpg

There could be a lot of things wrong with Juke's throw besides OAT. He can release clean but still have other parts of his throw that are bad.

Like me, I can't throw over 400' very often but that doesn't mean I have OAT. I have problems accelerating through the hit and wrist extension.

I could, I guess. I dunno. My discs don't wobble visibly in flight *at all* excepting gimme putts where I just stiff arm it into the basket. Are their imperceptible amounts of OAT, and if they're impreceptible, how do you perceive them? :\

I perceive my throws metaphysically.

There could be a lot of things wrong with Juke's throw besides OAT. He can release clean but still have other parts of his throw that are bad.

Like me, I can't throw over 400' very often but that doesn't mean I have OAT. I have problems accelerating through the hit and wrist extension.

This. I definitely know my form is not stellar (hell, I don't even know what good form looks like, and I don't watch vids on that stuff) but I know I don't have wobble. I do know that most of my problems come from lack of "snap" or "the hit" or whatever you want to call it.

I just ment to say that just because one can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. It's like how throwing putters doesn't magicly fix oat- it just makes it easier to see. If you can't see it yet, just throw it farther;)
my main partner doesn't think he has oat but I could scoop it with a spoon. Your prob better off not looking for it.

Sometimes this could be because of the wing length and profile. These comparisons are of two very overstable Discraft drivers. The first is the Predator. It has a curvy and short profile with a sharp bottom lip (this can create more flutter in a high speed driver) whereas the Flick has a less extreme curve, a lower profile and wider wing to it which will usually lead to a smoother flight with much less flutter early in it's flight. This could possibly be a reason for the flutter in your discs' flight.

Sometimes this could be because of the wing length and profile. These comparisons are of two very overstable Discraft drivers. The first is the Predator. It has a curvy and short profile with a sharp bottom lip (this can create more flutter in a high speed driver) whereas the Flick has a less extreme curve, a lower profile and wider wing to it which will usually lead to a smoother flight with much less flutter early in it's flight. This could possibly be a reason for the flutter in your discs' flight.

How does that work exactly?

I'm no engineer, but I read a lot of stuff about golf discs and how they fly. I've never heard anyone say that before. What is your theory for that?

Actually, the Predator is very overstable and that effect generally masks OAT from my experience. That's why you see guys with abysmal form who think they are studs..."I get so much on my throws anything less stable than a Gator turns over"...because the overstable disc masks OAT. It is also why when you work on your form you should use a neutral-stable disc like a Comet. An overstable or understable disc will mask certain flaws due to their flight tendencies. A neutral-stable disc should basically go straight, so it's easy to measure what effect your form had on the result.

I don't ever see any wobble in my throws, but I do have a tendency to turn over just about every disc when I try to throw it as hard as I can. I'm assuming it's OAT, in that I'm pretty sure I'm rolling my wrist over. I can throw 300' easily and pretty accurately with 9 speed drivers. My max is right around 350' with a Pro Katana. I can turn over just about any disc without a headwind except for a Pig and Monster. Does that mean I am just releasing the disc too late? Is that what is causing the OAT/wristroll? I'm usually just trying to release the disc flat and not flexing it.

Also, how far should I be able to throw my 171 FLX Buzz and 171 Z Comet without turning them over if there is no wind present? Right now it takes me a whole lot of concentration to throw my Comet just 200 ft without it turning over.

Can you ever have OAT on a hyzer release in which the disc flies a hyzer path? I'm pretty sure my shoulders are in line with the disc, as well. I feel like if I can only push a driver to around 330', I shouldn't be able to hyzer flip a 174 Z Surge SS without wind, correct? I'm probably just unknowingly rolling my wrist?

Thanks.

I think that sometimes the wobble is a little more simple that OAT. I haven't seen you throw or anything but I think that a unclean release can cause this really easily. If your grip is too loose or too tight and as the disc is released there maybe uneven pressure from the top or bottom of the disc. Meaning that there will be force exerted up on one point of the disc or down on that point. since there is a gyroscopic motion taking place the small amount of force creates a wave in the discs rotation as it flies. Just something to think about.

I don't ever see any wobble in my throws, but I do have a tendency to turn over just about every disc when I try to throw it as hard as I can. I'm assuming it's OAT, in that I'm pretty sure I'm rolling my wrist over. I can throw 300' easily and pretty accurately with 9 speed drivers. My max is right around 350' with a Pro Katana. I can turn over just about any disc without a headwind except for a Pig and Monster. Does that mean I am just releasing the disc too late? Is that what is causing the OAT/wristroll? I'm usually just trying to release the disc flat and not flexing it.

Also, how far should I be able to throw my 171 FLX Buzz and 171 Z Comet without turning them over if there is no wind present? Right now it takes me a whole lot of concentration to throw my Comet just 200 ft without it turning over.

Can you ever have OAT on a hyzer release in which the disc flies a hyzer path? I'm pretty sure my shoulders are in line with the disc, as well. I feel like if I can only push a driver to around 330', I shouldn't be able to hyzer flip a 174 Z Surge SS without wind, correct? I'm probably just unknowingly rolling my wrist?

Thanks.

Yes...you have OAT in some form and probably some other issues in timing and body position. Check out the Beato vid several times and do the drills until you get your Comet closer to 300'.

I think that sometimes the wobble is a little more simple that OAT. I haven't seen you throw or anything but I think that a unclean release can cause this really easily. If your grip is too loose or too tight and as the disc is released there maybe uneven pressure from the top or bottom of the disc. Meaning that there will be force exerted up on one point of the disc or down on that point. since there is a gyroscopic motion taking place the small amount of force creates a wave in the discs rotation as it flies. Just something to think about.

This almost sounds like a way to generate OAT. Just saying.