• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Wolf

Hector Chain

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I bought this disc for some reason when I started playing, bashed it into a few trees, and left it in my trunk for over a year. Recently I pulled it out to see if it could do anything useful, and I've had some success with it with medium-range hyzer flips and some decent turnover shots (I'm not good with anhyzers beyond 75-100 feet, so I need something I can release flat that will go right). And I do like the feel of it a bit more in my hand than the Roc due to its size, although I recognize it's probably not as useful as a Roc.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone else throw this disc? Of all the discs I own, the Wolf is the one I've heard the least about on these forums. I'm guessing there is a reason for it.

I own a wolf,and a buzzz,and some other random mid-ranges,but,the buzzz is the one that stays in my bag,here are a few of my opinions.

1.If you just want something to go right,the wolf will do this.

2.The wolf is a very flat disc,and the rim is very shallow in my hands,in comparison to some of the others,or at least that's how it feels.

3.For me personally,the wolf doesn't really go anywhere distance wise,i'd consider it more of a utility disc than anything,or someone just starting playing,because it's easy to throw,but eh,it's just not for me.

And lastly,I don't really think anyone has anything against the wolf,it's a good tool to get started with,I have hit some good shots with it,but the slots where I used to use it at are where I now tend to use some form of putter,so,it has it's place,but I think most players will advance past it quickly.

But honestly,if it does something for you that helps your game,why not use it?

I've used a DX Wolf for a couple of the smaller, heavily wooded courses here when I need a good anny. It works pretty well in these situations. Other than that I haven't had much use for it. A couple of DX Sharks have pretty much taken over my mid game.

Last edited:
"Designed for a good thumb grip, this medium speed under-stable mid-range makes for a great learning tool. Easy to release." -Ken Climo on Innova's website.

I think a couple of things about this disc.

1) Most people who throw innova focus more on their drivers and when them start to learn about mids all they hear is "Roc or Buzzz" and they think "we'll I throw innova so I'll throw Rocs" or they pic up a shark and go with that.

2) Pro players can turn over anything so they usually go with a beat DX Roc.

3) You might as well beat in a DX Roc...

While I actually agree with Ken about it being a great learning tool I don't think it gets the attention the Comet does because I feel like discraft has a better community of players that suggest the comet to people to try out. Where with innova... you might as well beat in a Roc (what a beautiful disc... I kind of miss mine...).

It works for its purpose, but I don't think it really does anything a Leopard with a bit of anny can't do better. JMO

my buddy throws a wolf and swears by it. when he needs to close the distance and it is a dead straight shot, he throws his dx wolf.

Because he likes his so much, I picked up one and gave it a go. I can not see what he sees. Give me my buzzz any day over a wolf.

I've tried this disc for a while--180g DX--but I've recently put it back in the car. As others have stated, it was a good learning tool. I wanted to learn the turnover shot, and I've progressed into Buzzzes/Meteors for that slot now. Like Connor Jones said though, if it works for you, keep chuckin' it!

I carry a wolf and a buzz. They are actually my only 2 mid range discs that I own.

I throw the wolf mostly because it is brightly colored. I find it to be a great disc, I am still pretty much a beginner anyway.

My buzz is really hard to find so I only throw it if I can see exactly where it will land so it is mostly a back-up.

idea.gif

*DX Buzz-add to shopping cart

Wolf is a great disc, most advanced/skilled players tend to not use them because they don't really do anything a putter cant.

i liked the wolf a lot for anhyzer approaches and rollers.

it was replaced by a beat in pro d buzzz for anyzer approaches and a beat in dx valk for rollers but it's still a great disc

I have one and haven't gotten to use it very much yet but so far I like it. I use a Valkyrie for long approach shots but I use the Wolf for shorter ones requiring more accuracy.

I'm on my second wolf now. I found one a year and a half ago and start using it for RHBH midrange shots. I know exactly how it's going to fly, so it's one of my go-to midrange discs and very good for technical wooded courses.

I don't personally throw a Wolf, but my father does... what he lacks in power, he makes up for it with his incredibly accurate mid-range shots, which are always his wolf. I swear he can put anything from 150' in within a 5' circle of the basket with that thing. But, I can't throw it. I'm pretty much all roc and some shark.

I started with one and liked it, but then it got really beat in and i hardly ever throw it because of that. It works good for annys, but can be over powered causing it to become uncontrollable in my opinion. And i can do the same things it can with my buzz or my warrior

Latest posts