• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing a clear disc solid - Please advise

Holloway

Good evening dgcr dye pros!

I have a clear cryztal buzzz that I want to dye solid orange or green. Yes yes blasphemy and all, but it's a misprint and I really want to throw this disc, but with it being clear I've basically convinced myself I'll lose it right away due to it being invisible. I've comissioned my wife to pick me up some rit powder dye, have located a pan I don't mind potentially ruining, and have read up on all the basics of prepping and executing the dye job. I do have a few questions though. Since the disc is totally clear I'd like to dye the top and the bottom so the color is uniform and I think it will pop a bit more. I guess I'm just not quite sure how to totally submerge the disc without either the top of the disc or the bottom of the wing touching the pan. This will be my first attempt at dyeing so I'd really hate to fubar this beautiful disc in the process. So that's it. How can I totally submerge the disc without parts touching the pan? At the low temp on the burner can the parts touch without warping the disc dramatically? Should I just alternate upside down and downside up and match the colors instead of total submersion? Should I consider just dyeing the top or bottom vs the whole disc? Any tips tricks or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Make hot water (not boiling). Add hot water to a pan. Add powder. Fully submerge disc.

I'm sure you're looking for more reasoning, I'll see if I can do anything.

You could dye the dome first (by floating like a normal dye). Then add dye to fill bottom cavity after the dome is done?

Have you decided on a color yet. Greens is as bad as clear to try to find,and you know when your done dyeing it will still be clear/seethrough .right.

clear to solid

I have decided to go with orange for that exact reason moon. And yes I was actually hoping it would still be transparent, just not clear. I'm going for orange champion not orange star, but I still have the problem with total submersion. Again I'm afraid that if I sink it upside down that the dome will rest on the bottom of the pan and either warp or not take the color as well as the rest of the disc. If I flip it to dome up then sink it then it may work a bit better but I'm afraid there will be a ring where the bottom of the wing rests or it too could warp. I'm just not sure how to get uniform color over the whole disc. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm just over thinking it, but I'd much rather lose the disc as is than ruin it in the dye pot. Thanks for the replies so far!

You can also mix the rit with hot water out of the tap in a two liter bottle. Just set the disc on a hockey puck or chew tin something like that then pour the mix over it until it is fully submerses . Let sit for 5 minutes turn over let stand for 5 moor repeat until your happy with it then rinse in cold water. If you line your pan with a trash bag its a easy clean up too. Good luck

you just have to constantly be moving the disc. i use tongs and flip it around in the dye for about 20 mins

Wow...massive /facepalm after that reply, thanks a ton a_p. And fwiw your 101 threads are really what got me to take this on and actually get this disc off the shelf and into the bag with a dye. I'm strongly considering the grocery bags marble method after I get it solid.

Thanks again everyone!

Alright here's the finished product, please excuse the picture quality as I'm doing this all from my phone. Used the tangerine rit and let it soak for about an hour. I started with glass clear and now it's darker than regular orange, blood orange if you will, but I'm still very pleased with the results. Thanks again for all the input!

Attachments

• disc.jpg
    disc.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 95
Acetoning off the stamp at this point may look cool. It will be very subdued.

Another method that I have used to simplify the coloring process is to put the dye in the disc cavity and microwave it (quick and dirty, but cannot use a stencil), or to float it in hot water (slower and more accurate).
The effect is very cool when you dye inside the lid, but not the rim.