• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dying just the back of a clear disc?

holdyourlight

is it possible to die just the back (and not the rim) of a clear disc - basically to get rid of a bunch of nasty ink ?
any instructions are appreciated..

All my attempts: Unsuccessful. You can still see the ink through the black dye.

Jeronimo said:
All my attempts: Unsuccessful. You can still see the ink through the black dye.

damn..the ink is very light and i was going to use a dark purple but i have never dyed and dont know anything about it i was just wondering if it was possible

Didn't somebody a while back, like a year, post that using a dry erase marker gets ink out?

Flipflat said:
Didn't somebody a while back, like a year, post that using a dry erase marker gets ink out?

only to a certain extent

it is still very visible

so theres no way just to dye the back of the disc without the rim??

holdyourlight said:

Of course there is, science is awesome like that. What Jeronimo is saying is that the ink will still be visible, but maybe a little less so.

ChUcK said:
holdyourlight said:

Of course there is, science is awesome like that. What Jeronimo is saying is that the ink will still be visible, but maybe a little less so.

or even dye the front and back except for the rim but i want to keep the stamp, not sure how to do that

which would be easier and more effective?

can someone explain how to do that or point me in the right direction of a thread to look @ ?

thanks!!

I have tried removing/masking ink on discs I wanted to trade and have had no luck on removal. I can spend some time and make it lighter but it does not come off at least for me. I think your just stuck

CHEERS - Koffee

take a small paintbrush and apply a thin layer of elmer's to the inner rim, basically anywhere you don't want dye. Then pour some dye in once the glue has dried. Let it sit as long as you like

Once you're ready dump it out and wash all the dye off, then peel the glue off.

ChUcK said:
take a small paintbrush and apply a thin layer of elmer's to the inner rim, basically anywhere you don't want dye. Then pour some dye in once the glue has dried. Let it sit as long as you like

My pop used to dye b&w photos and he'd mask with rubber cement, anyone'd tried it? Good / bad results? Or is elmer's just the right thing?

ChUcK said:

i'll give it a shot

better to heat the dye up for this or not?

Nah, leave it room temp. You'll need to leave it in there for a while anyways, and it will cool down quickly regardless.

I'm sure rubber cement would work fine, I just have experimented with elmer's more because it's cheap and I have like 8 old tubes laying around still from various academic stages of my past.

ChUcK said:
Nah, leave it room temp. You'll need to leave it in there for a while anyways, and it will cool down quickly regardless.

I'm sure rubber cement would work fine, I just have experimented with elmer's more because it's cheap and I have like 8 old tubes laying around still from various academic stages of my past.

last question (for now)

if i end up needing to dye the front as well ( so i would be dying the front and back without the "wing"), what is the best way to do this to leave the stamp intact?

Latest posts