• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

El Guapo Baskets - New to the Industry

ddrsman

I wanted to have my own disc golf basket to practice my putting game and to have something my kids and I could enjoy together.

I've seen the ones at Costco and to tell you the truth they are worth less what they charge. I wanted something like what they have at local parks but not pay a ton $$$$s so I decided to make my own.

Well, as you can see it worked out. Pics are of my Beta powder coated blue, red and Neon metallic green. It's a portable 30 chain all metal basket. 12 chains on the outer row, 12 on the inner row with 6 cross chains for the third tier (similar to the Mach X but still with the ability to spit you out if you rifle it in there and not as crazy as the Prodigy). 97% U.S. METALS FROM LOCAL VENDORS. (Everything except the S-hooks)

I am looking to get my baskets approved the week after New Years at champion status with the PDGA.

Let me know what you think.... Please be nice. :)

https://www.facebook.com/elguapobaskets

Attachments

• 00Y0Y_koXAvpZ4fp8_600x450.jpg
    00Y0Y_koXAvpZ4fp8_600x450.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 10419424_589486987818624_6931900078943728470_n.jpg
    10419424_589486987818624_6931900078943728470_n.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 10801602_589494311151225_5161639325015277573_n.jpg
    10801602_589494311151225_5161639325015277573_n.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 316
Targets look good, with a nice deep basket. Are you a fan of the Three Amigos? O te crees tan guapo? :D

Look's good. Name's kind of dumb especially for a basket since there's nothing "handsome" about a basket.
Cost is important. If you have a UPS account, it should only cost you $30-40 to ship the basket to save some money.

According to your FB page, this will cost $100 to ship. Now I don't know much about distribution, but that seems like a lot of money. I like that you are toying with the idea of having two versions; this one, and a lighter chain version. The lighter chains should catch well, but more importantly, the cost will go down.

Good luck with this new adventure. Your target certainly seems like it's well made, and that green color is pretty sweet!

Oh, and welcome to DGCR too!

No point in making a lighter basket unless he can compete with the other half dozen lighter version baskets that cost around $150 shipped.

I live in Idaho and have one of these baskets in my house right now. El Guapo Baskets sponsored a tournament in my town. All I can say is this basket is legit, made so solid and has 24 chains. It catches like a beast, and I will be sad to see it go in the raffle on Jan. 3rd.

My advice would be to make the pole in two pieces so it can go in the same box as the cage and chains. This would eliminate one of the boxes and should decrease the shipping cost a bit. The basket that El Guapo donated was shipped in 2 different boxes when it came to my house.

What is the selling price on these with out shipping?

Looks like a quality piece for sure, congrats on getting it done and made American style :thmbup:. Kudos for trying to source US made materials.:clap: Like those colors too, the green and the blue looks sweet.

Is it just me or do the chains look like they are pulled a little tight? Could be that the top is bigger in diameter compared to the basket?

What is the basket size and depth? or can you give us all the dimensions at once.

$100 for FedEx sounds like express rates. There is a ground option available that should be significantly less. That's a pretty short distance your shipping it, which is key to cheaper rates. I'm also interested in the cost of the basket, as i'm kinda in the neighborhood.

You should get Bas "El Guapo" Rutten as a spokesperson.

Looks OK in pix, but IMHO, people need to be able to see, touch, feel 'em for such an endeavor to be successful. Not to cheapen your product, but unless you can blow the competition away price wise, not many people are gonna opt for a product they've never seen when there are names they're more familiar with at about the same price point.

Hope this works out for you!

You might also wanna be careful, as this "smells" like an ad... prolly belongs in the DGCR Sponsors & Vendors subforum. :\

Last edited:
wow. thanks for all the input. I've been working pretty hard on honing my design over these past 6 months. I started out with a proto type just to see if i could do it then i moved onto designing then failing, then some more designing with more failing... you get the point.

Shipping - This has been a he topic with potential buyers. Im trying to figure out a decent price for shipping one of my baskets. Not sure right now who's the cheapest. I'll be working on that this week.

Tight towards the bottom - Yeah, i may go back to a previous design with a 3 inch ring for the outer row and a 7-8 inch ring for the inner row so it hangs straight down and gives a wider landing hitting the bottom of the chains.

Light version - I won't venture that way until February or March

El Guapo - I thought of this name while i was on a tractor raking hay at 430am, no joke. Its based off Señor El Guapo from the Three Amigos. He was my favorite character in the movie. Thought about hitting up Bas Rutten but i don't have the guts.

Dimensions - My approval design is 26 inch ID on the basket frame, 23 inch on the deflector frame, 24 chains to start but i will be adding 6 more on the inner row that is closest to the pole - 30 in all. Pole height and everything else is to PDGA specs for champion status. Ive been talking back and forth with Jeff the testing guy with the PDGA these last few months to finalize my design before sending it down for approval. should be here in the next few weeks.

Not trying to create an ad. If anyone wants info they know how to find me.

Peace out.