• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elk Mtn: Somebody is a liar

I love charlotte courses but I'd put sawmills up against any one of them.

I was referring to this post and the poster's statement that he'd put Sawmills up against any of the Charlotte Courses...

That's crazy talk!

Everything in Charlotte is better than Sawmills... just sayin!
(maybe not the 9-holer at the elementary school... but everything else)

DSCJNKY

Mind elaborating on this? I agree with you but I don't know why. I've never liked holes that taper at the end.

Huey may have a different reason but to me it tends to not reward a good shot.

If you hit the intended gap off the tee the farther you get down the fairway you should be rewarded. If the hole gets narrower at the end not only does the green become more likely to be unfair but good shots can be randomly penalized by tree kicks and such. This is especially true on holes that are blind from tee to green. If you hit an intended hyzer line around a bend and hit a tree you can't see because the gap became tighter near the green, a good shot was not rewarded and luck tended to influence your score.

Just my opinion.

I felt that sawmills was an ok course but that many of the fairways followed Huey's description. I have been told that sawmills has improved by some, so I'm gonna have to get back out there soon

If you hit the intended gap off the tee the farther you get down the fairway you should be rewarded. If the hole gets narrower at the end not only does the green become more likely to be unfair but good shots can be randomly penalized by tree kicks and such. This is especially true on holes that are blind from tee to green. If you hit an intended hyzer line around a bend and hit a tree you can't see because the gap became tighter near the green, a good shot was not rewarded and luck tended to influence your score.

Right, right. Yeah, Prutzman of Burlington wants to combine holes 11 and 12 at Springwood into one 777'-860'ish long hole with the basket moved from around the corner and between the steep bank and soccer field to the left and the really thick rough on the right. It would be like 500' of open field throwing that doesn't require hardly any skill and then it tapers badly the last 200-300'. Seems like taking two decent-good holes and combining them into one long bad hole.

Just my opinion.

I felt that sawmills was an ok course but that many of the fairways followed Huey's description. I have been told that sawmills has improved by some, so I'm gonna have to get back out there soon

Yeah, it is much more developed and cleaned up than when it started especially since the work done for the last tournament out there, the two new holes are much more fun to play than the old 6 and 12.

Hmmmm interesting. I'd have to throw it to get a feel but if my memory serves me right for someone with a decent arm that has a chance to be a tweener.

My theories mostly based on par 3's. I think a hole like that on a par 5 may give you some risk reward for a big arm on whether or not they want to risk getting real close woth the chance of ending up ob or in the rough or set themselves up for the next shot with 200 or so to go.

Not really sure though in that particular case and my experience with multi shot hole design is limited up to this point

The other thing that really hurts the hole by combining it is that the tees are elevated nicely (a rare feat considering the topography of this park) and with hole 11 (the tee with elevated tees) you can use that extra height assisted distance to have a chance of getting a meaningful stroke on your competition. By combining the two holes into one long, straight hole, it feels really 'tweener-ish and sucks the fun out of the elevated tees.

Why are they making the change? Combining holes earlier in the course?

Why are they making the change? Combining holes earlier in the course?

One of the long crazy holes I think is going to be chopped into 2 holes (can't remember which, either 3 or 13 I think) and hole 5 is getting axed completely (the short par 2). Sharpe is adamant about having exactly 18 holes for any more or less holes, in the name of tradition, America, and apple pie he will murder your entire family and burn your lands with Greek fire.

One of the long crazy holes I think is going to be chopped into 2 holes (can't remember which, either 3 or 13 I think) and hole 5 is getting axed completely (the short par 2). Sharpe is adamant about having exactly 18 holes for any more or less holes, in the name of tradition, America, and apple pie he will murder your entire family and burn your lands with Greek fire.

Well 17 or less holes means your a Fascist oppressing the population from enjoying there freedom and 19 or more holes means you're a Commy passing out free handouts of disc golf holes all over creation so I see his point.

I was wondering how he was taking these changes or if he was involved.

He's taking it pretty well, I'd say. I'm supposed to help him move some baskets this Saturday. The redesign he's got planned should make the course noticeably better, if not at the very least a good deal safer.

He's taking it pretty well, I'd say. I'm supposed to help him move some baskets this Saturday. The redesign he's got planned should make the course noticeably better, if not at the very least a good deal safer.

That second part is the important part. I'm glad to hear it

That second part is the important part. I'm glad to hear it

It'll have its warts but hole 3 is going to take a lot of the ball fields out of play, hole 8 will involve considerably less brier-infested gullies and hole 13 will greatly reduce the chance of a soccer player or neighbor getting hit. There's no way to redesign hole 13 and have a safe and/or good hole (actually, I have a way but nobody wants to hear it b/c it's "too close" to the property line) but all the holes around it will be improved and 13 will at least be much shorter.

I had to kind of LOL to hear you consider this a bad design choice. ;)

I dont understand. Name a course in Charlotte that has this issue (besides Elon which is one of my least favorite). I can't think of this issue on many of the holes I have designed or on many holes in Charlotte period. Now a few trees around a green is ok, as long as you can get to 30'ish. Pick 5 holes where a fairway in charlotte asks you to hit a gap, then blindly narrows so that you have to find a random lane to get within putting distance. Additionally you can add holes that offer little to no putting room around the basket once you get there... a vast majority of holes in Charlotte have at least 30-35'radius reasonable putting greens (unless OB). Many of the holes at Sawmills had less than 10' putting areas. Chester State Park is similar.

Hole 12 at Stumpy Narrows with blind trees
Maybe 14 nest but I dont think so.
Much of Skillborne is like this but few play the skillborne layout at Kilborne. That may be why it is under played.

Latest posts