• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Epic tree incident today

Something similar happened to me this summer at Barre Falls DGC. I threw my buzz into the tree on hole 1. I pull out a disc to knock it out and it gets stuck. I pull out another disc and it gets stuck. I pull out another disc knock one down and get that one stuck SO I smartin up and grab a stick to throw at them. Knock one down and get the stick caught in the tree. So now I got 3 discs stuck in a tree and my 6 year old daughter laughing at me about how funny it is watching me get my discs stuck in the tree. Finally I grabbed the biggest branch I can find by the woods, something like 12 feet long and get them free. All in all it took about 30 minutes to get them all down. I really need to carry some baseballs in my bag...

My son and I were tossing tennis balls at a disc he had stuck in a tree and almost got nailed by a basketball. It was hidden up in the tree and we must have knocked it loose. Never saw it until it fell right at us.

My record was 3 in a tree, however the worst part was when I grabbed an old snow shovel to huck at them, it spewed nasty rust water all over my pants. I did get the discs but not with the shovel.

Also, watched 4 guys swinging on a single giant vine trying to shake a disc out of a massive tree. If anyone's played Bellamy Park in Dover, NH, it was the tree on the left of the 18th fairway about 3/4 of the way to the hole with all the vines. It was quite the sight to see!

In Yellowstone, we were able to use fallen trees to get discs out of trees. Life was so simple then....

ever notice how "epic" is so overused these days

One fine day late last century a couple friends and I headed out for a round. We piled in the king cab s10 and backed out of the driveway. The old dude across the street was getting his mail which made us hesitate out of respect. He finally moved and we backed out...as I put the truck in gear a full grown valley oak had reached it's final moment of standing and crashed directly in front of us completely blocking the road. Luckily at the distance I was at only small branches brushed the front of the truck. Epic???...Probably had to be there. After the smash the old man told us he was taking so long at his mailbox because he was hearing strange popping noises from his yard.

I stop at nothing to get a disc out of a tree, there had to be something you could do to get it out.

same here...

it's kind of a pain to mess with, but i have used small diameter (.50") pvc pipe to get a disc out of a tree at about 30ft up. i used five 5ft sections with straight fittings. the weight causes the pipe to bow really bad, especially with the 4th and 5th piece added, but you can feed the top part of the pipe onto some of the lower branches, and then work the pipe up the tree using other branches to help guide the pipe.

i tried climbing but couldn't make it all the way, so that's when i thought i would try this, and it worked. made a trip to lowe's and paid about $8 for materials, all for a DX Valkyrie...:doh:

Paintball gun...

I threw a thumber on #5 nevin. It got stuck about 30' up in the "v" of a large 2' dia oak tree. I went home and got a ladder. The ladder was about 4' short. When I got to the top the "V" actually was rotted out about 3' down and it had been hallowed out into an animal's nest. I had to balance on the last rung 30' up, my arm over the lip of the "v" hallowed out hole so that my armpit was on the rim of the hole. I was barely able(with out seeing) to grab the lip of the disc with the tips of my middle and pointer finger.

I don't like heights AND I was so freaked out not knowing what made the nest in that hole, but it was worth saving that disc!

Paintball gun...

I threw a thumber on #5 nevin. It got stuck about 30' up in the "v" of a large 2' dia oak tree. I went home and got a ladder. The ladder was about 4' short. When I got to the top the "V" actually was rotted out about 3' down and it had been hallowed out into an animal's nest. I had to balance on the last rung 30' up, my arm over the lip of the "v" hallowed out hole so that my armpit was on the rim of the hole. I was barely able(with out seeing) to grab the lip of the disc with the tips of my middle and pointer finger.

I don't like heights AND I was so freaked out not knowing what made the nest in that hole, but it was worth saving that disc!

hope you were prepared just in case something didn't jump out at you. would be a hellofa fall

Those lightweight tent poles that fold into about 8 sections with elastic twine inside...very easy to control and you can assemble as many sections as you need to reach the disc and poke it out. Too bad I rarely have one with me when I need it! But it might be worth keeping one in the trunk.

I have a telescoping pole that was made for fishing golf balls out of the lake. It reaches 15 feet. Also, where I play, there's tons of rocks to throw. (I've had rocks get stuck in the tree many times) And when all else fails, one of the guys in my usual group is part monkey. Never ever will I throw a disc to dislodge a disc. Isn't that kinda like throwing another disc in the lake to get out the first one you threw in? "Ah CRAP! Now that one's in the lake too."

My last tree incident had me at the top and in the middle of a 30 footer where the branches get real thin. I climbed it right up untill the tree just started to bend over then used a stick to clear it. I really thought that tree was gonna break at one point, and send me plummetting, but I managed to get my new Wraith back anyway.. :)

A couple weeks back I got told a story that blew my mind. I wasn't there, but these guys are too stupid to make up a story this good and we're all friends they have no reason to make it up anyway.

So the story goes.....They were playing a round on the East course Jones Park Emporia KS when they heard a loud thwack of a high speed driver hitting a tree trunk dead on. No big deal you hear it all the time. Well they continued on and two holes later they see a dead squirrel with a big indention on it's rib cage stuck to a tree. Apparently some guy hit a tree with his driver and just happened to smash a squirrel in the process. The disc fell down the squirrel stayed pinned up the trunk about 20 feet off the ground. Later that day during their second round someone had propped the dead squirrel on top of a basket. I assume as a warning to the hundreds of other squirrels in that park. I know I know....cool story bro.

I have a telescoping pole that was made for fishing golf balls out of the lake. It reaches 15 feet. Also, where I play, there's tons of rocks to throw. (I've had rocks get stuck in the tree many times) And when all else fails, one of the guys in my usual group is part monkey. Never ever will I throw a disc to dislodge a disc. Isn't that kinda like throwing another disc in the lake to get out the first one you threw in? "Ah CRAP! Now that one's in the lake too."

Agreed. Never use a disc to dislodge a stuck disc, but don't give up too easily. I have scaled down the side of steep tree filled hills and embankments to get my disc out of creeks, just not that good at climbing up trees and other things. As long as you have something to hold onto, it's ok. Climbing back up the hill is another story.:eek: If it's a wooded course then there should be plenty of sticks and limbs to throw. Just don't give up. A baseball might work pretty well.:\

This happened to my buddy last sunday. The first pic shows where it first landed. We threw stuff at it for a while and finally got it to fall---about 6 feet to where it got stuck again. We worked on it some more till it finally fell all the way. Happy ending and here's the funny part---it's an Ape (get it?)

Attachments

• CIMG8652.jpg
    CIMG8652.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 5
  • CIMG8654.jpg
    CIMG8654.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 5