• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP vs Star

ESP or STAR

• ESP

Votes: 68 53.1%
  • Star

Votes: 60 46.9%

• Total voters
I prefer star for its overall feel, but as mentioned earlier, it is not very consistent from batch to batch. I have about 17 discs in star plastic and they all feel a little different, i have half that in esp but they are all almost exactly the same feel. So the nod goes to esp for its consistency

I like both a lot but ESP seems to take punishment a little more, and like someone else already stated. Star plastic takes a few rounds to get a good feel to them. ESP is good to go immediately and has the same grip and consistency throughout its life.

I have champ discs (no elite z) and they prob age the best when it comes to staying intact but they never have the best grip feel to them.

I like both plastics but I think I like the feel of Star better.

I actually like ESP over Star. I think Star is less durable than ESP. One solid hit into a tree and Star has a minor dent but with ESP I feel like I could throw it into a tree and be okay for a little while. I still prefer Champion or Z to both, I think, but that is just my perception.

I feel just the opposite, that ESP dings up quicker and is actually a little less grippy. To be fair I have had a lot more Star than ESP though.

I think that both ESP and Star are blends- I know that Star plastic is a blend of champ and pro- so I think both of them vary a little more run to run on grip and durability. I would only throw Champ and Z, but the "whitest" discs, which are easier for me to find with my abnormal color vision, are Star. The only ESP disc I have is a Zone, because it isn't made in Z and my D was a different disc after three rounds.

I like both a lot but ESP seems to take punishment a little more, and like someone else already stated. Star plastic takes a few rounds to get a good feel to them. ESP is good to go immediately and has the same grip and consistency throughout its life.

I have champ discs (no elite z) and they prob age the best when it comes to staying intact but they never have the best grip feel to them.

You should get some Z discs. I don't think Discraft is lying when they say they are the most durable discs in the world. I have a Buzzz that I have beat the poo out of that still doesn't have any dings, much less gouges.

Except I just re-read your post and you said you don't like the feel. Oops

I voted for ESP as well - though I really enjoy Star; there is something about ESP that just feels 'right' in the hand. It seems consistent, it's got a nice grip like Pro blends, it's got all the glide of Star, and is durable like Champ; best of all worlds.

I think esp plastic is what innova wanted when they made star plastic. Esp has great grip and duribility, innova star is all over the place, alot if it feels rigid and slippery.
Esp is the one for me!

*i threw innova before discraft.

ESP's flight will change before the disc will show signs of wear like dings, gouges and scratches. Star looks like it flies. If it flies like a 6/10 it will look like it. ESP's can look like a 9/10 but can fly like a 6/10. I've also completely wrecked the flight of several ESP discs with solid tree hits, but I've never wrecked a Star disc with the same tree impact.

It really boils down to what mold you prefer to throw, because both plastics are everything they are chalked up to be.

Yeah, I throw a good mix of both and seem to get what I want (most throws anyway) out of them.
I can't really say I've a preference.

My recent experience with ESP (last 2 yrs) is that it has been glossy and slippery when new. Star seems slightly softer and more of a flat finish, making it grippier, and a little more pliable in colder temps.

If I had to choose, it would be Star. If you want to break it down even more. I like the hybrid ChampyStar or Echo Star over the base Star plastic.

OK I'm going to be one of "those" guys............Gold Line blows them both away! So if you are looking for or are trying out plastics. You have to try GL plastic.

OK I'm going to be one of "those" guys............Gold Line blows them both away! So if you are looking for or are trying out plastics. You have to try GL plastic.

For sure. GL is fantastic. It's the one plastic I like more than Z/Champ. It's durable as hell and grips fantastic. If I had to chose one, I'd pick star unless we're talking about mids. I gotta have my FLX Drones.

i prefer star over esp but like both about the same.. i like the GL but so far i have found it to be less grippy then either star or champ .. i guess it has to do with how "textured" your GL is? or maybe i just have a couple weird rivers

i prefer star over esp but like both about the same.. i like the GL but so far i have found it to be less grippy then either star or champ .. i guess it has to do with how "textured" your GL is? or maybe i just have a couple weird rivers

Really? That's weird, I have a redshift and a solid white, both are just a bit soft and feel more grippy than any star disc I've had.

it might be a lil more noticeable since the discs i was throwing in that slot before were DX so BIG difference there but vs my star they seem lil slicker...my stars are quite worn tho so i guess that could play in as well.. i will compare them this afternoon when i get home to "new" star or esp and see what it looks like